Likely Presidential election result

Loki

Would that include Justice Alito who just had to reiterate his instructions to segregate ballots; he was taken in by the fake news is is that your argument?

Don't misrepresent me. I never claimed nor implied that Alito was operating on the basis of "fake news." I observed that as a frequent purveyor of some of the silliest right-wing propaganda, you aren't exactly well-positioned to criticize others on such matters.

You mean the irreputable New York Times. If the New York Times were reputable they would give back their Pulitzer Prize is for lying about Trump.

Yeah and the dishonest framing it doesn't bother you in the least? They didn't take the case on the merits because there was not enough time before the election. They have said they will consider the case on the merits that's a promise! Anyone reading your comment would come to the opposite conclusion proving that you believe the New York Times is a lie. Is this fact that you believe the lie and a lot of other people that is the problem.

That is a complete miss characterization that is one of many troubling irregularities and the suggestion that it is the biggest issue is absurd.

They ordered that the ballots be segregated so that the question could be considered on the merits and judge Alito is convinced that the Democrat counties are not doing that so he had to reiterate his order just yesterday!

It was, in fact, widely reported that the justices didn't want to intervene right before the election. Pennsylvania was not the only state to receive this treatment. You're really grasping at straws, here. I've been fully aware of the context of Alito's order since it was delivered. And the NYT accurately described the battle over the acceptance of ballots after November 3 as the "biggest fight" in Pennsylvania thus far. What on earth do you think is bigger?

And Pennsylvania had ordered the segregation of ballots arriving after election day before Alito even gave his order. If he felt the need to repeat it, fine. It doesn't imply any malfeasance on the part of election officials.

You seem to know information judge Alito does not know; how did you come by that?

Are you kidding? Pennsylvania officials have told us as much, and electoral officials are under constant observation. It's public knowledge.

That would make amending the constitution regarding elections a pretty low bar if that were excepted as you outline it. In case your missing the understatement, the constitution will prevail.

People with actual training in the law see things differently.

But trashing the constitution is no problem?

Weren't you just lecturing me about conspiracy theories?

Says the leftist who has been cutting the legs out from under a duly elected president for four solid years. What do you have where the rest of the human race has a sense of irony?

My point stands.

Thistle

In a fitting end, Biden is projected the winner having taken Pa, while Trump plays golf.
It's not like Trump hast to pull in all nighter's. He's got a law firms to file the lawsuits. That's why they get the big bucks.

Thistle

Don't misrepresent me.
Okay, I stand ready to correct the record what did I do wrong.
I never claimed nor implied that Alito was operating on the basis of "fake news."
Well, that is good news! Let the record show that you didn't imply that Alito was a victim of fake news. Didn't I put a question mark after that?
I observed that as a frequent purveyor of some of the silliest right-wing propaganda, you
Oh you meant I was a silly right wing propaganda purveyor I see now. Very good I'm glad we have that straightened out now.
aren't exactly well-positioned to criticize others on such matters
Well I suppose I'll just have to make do.
It was, in fact, widely reported that the justices didn't want to intervene right before the election.
They didn't have time.
Pennsylvania Was not the only state to receive this treatment. You're really grasping at straws, here.
Well, thank you for your characterization I'm not sure I could've lived without it.
I've been fully aware of the context of Alito's order since it was delivered. And the NYT accurately described the battle over the acceptance of ballots after November 3 as the "biggest fight" in Pennsylvania thus far. What on earth do you think is bigger?
And they know Dan mentioned that it was a direct violation of the US Constitution, right?
And Pennsylvania had ordered the segregation of ballots arriving after election day before Alito even gave his order. If he felt the need to repeat it, fine.
And he felt this an absence of any evidence whatsoever to support such a feeling because he's just a emotionally overwrought conservative?
It doesn't imply any malfeasance on the part of election officials.
I'm not sure you understand how inferences work.
Are you kidding? Pennsylvania officials have told us as much, and electoral officials are under constant observation. It's public knowledge.
That guy with the big money bags in his arms over there he didn't rob the bank I ask him he'll tell you himself. Just go ask him!
People with actual training in the law see things differently.
People with actual training in the law see things from diametrically opposite perspectives every blessed day in a court room because that's how they get paid.
My point stands.
I'm afraid I only have one window open and I can't remember your point but I'm sure it was outstanding.

Thistle

"In the 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, three social psychologists studied a small religious sect in Chicago called “the seekers,” who believed that the world would soon be destroyed by a flood, and that a flying saucer was coming to save them. The seekers were deeply invested in the prophecy’s fulfillment—many had quit jobs and left spouses to prepare. On the appointed day, they gathered at their leader’s home to wait for deliverance. The psychologists wanted to know how the seekers would react when the world didn’t end. Would they realize they’d been duped? Denounce their former belief system? Turn on their prophet? As it turned out, no. When Armageddon failed to materialize, they simply decided that God had spared Earth from destruction because of their faith; that they had been right all along.
Do you think that's why people believe the same pollsters who lied to them in 2016? How many times is this rerun going to be replayed?
The psychologists who studied the seekers attributed their rationalizations to the discomfort of cognitive dissonance: When a true believer is faced with “undeniable evidence” that what he believes is wrong, he “will frequently emerge, not only unshaken, but even more convinced of the truth of his beliefs than ever before. Indeed, he may even show a new fervor about convincing and converting other people to his view.”
You mean like people who believe that Nate silver is objective?
The question of whether Trumpism has a long-term future in the GOP will be debated at length in the coming months.
The GOP that kept the Senate and widen their lead in the house; is that the GOP you're talking about? The one that ostensibly was swept in with more strength on the coattails of an incumbent president that was turned out? That GOP? What about this story doesn't sound right? You're a bright guy, it'll come to you if your puzzle on it for a minute.
What’s certain is that it won’t be vanquished by Trump’s impending defeat alone—if anything, his most devoted supporters may be further radicalized."
Oh further radicalized! I suppose level one radicalization is where you expect the president who is elected in 2016 to be permitted to be president during the ensuing four years. Is that the radicalization you're referring to? It's a wonder the country survived with a bunch of radicals like that running around.
When the MAGA Bubble Burst
McKay Coppins • The Atlantic
And my day wouldn't be complete until someone on the left quoted article from the Atlantic to me.

DieBrille

I like your sense of irony, but I'm old enough to remember the 2000 election so we've got a ways to go in spite of the press calling it for Biden.
You may remember it but you don't UNDERSTAND it.
But then you believe everything that a proven pathological liar tells you, so you have a severe intellectual impairment.

Temujin

And my day wouldn't be complete until someone on the left quoted article from the Atlantic to me.
OK then, which news outlets do you recommend? Forbes? Fox News, BBC, the Times of Israel? The Daily Mail? I've read articles from all of these, and more. They all say Biden won and that the legal challenges have no hope. Where do you get your information from? Is it all from nut jobs on YouTube?

bigthinker

Below is a photo, taken during Trump's last press conference, which succinctly answers the question "Likely Presidential Election Result":

110520_trump.jpg
The Trump marketing team relies on lying, they rely on Americans being too dumb or lazy to fact check. And its worked surprisingly well, like giving drugs to a needy addict.

bigthinker

How typical of the left, completely impervious to being proven wrong time and again! There will be no acknowledgment from you when you're wrong once again.
Well yes. its hard to prove someone wrong when you don't have any evidence.

Loki

Okay, I stand ready to correct the record what did I do wrong.

Well, that is good news! Let the record show that you didn't imply that Alito was a victim of fake news. Didn't I put a question mark after that?

Oh you meant I was a silly right wing propaganda purveyor I see now. Very good I'm glad we have that straightened out now.

Well I suppose I'll just have to make do.

They didn't have time.

Well, thank you for your characterization I'm not sure I could've lived without it.

And they know Dan mentioned that it was a direct violation of the US Constitution, right?

And he felt this an absence of any evidence whatsoever to support such a feeling because he's just a emotionally overwrought conservative?

I'm not sure you understand how inferences work.

That guy with the big money bags in his arms over there he didn't rob the bank I ask him he'll tell you himself. Just go ask him!

People with actual training in the law see things from diametrically opposite perspectives every blessed day in a court room because that's how they get paid.

I'm afraid I only have one window open and I can't remember your point but I'm sure it was outstanding.
Here's pro-tip for you, Thistle: you really don't need to break down my posts clause-by-clause just to insert some snide remark. Not only is it petty, it makes further discussion increasingly tedious and off-topic. Your responses should be self-contained and coherent so that readers generally do not have to flip back to the previous post to figure out what you're talking about.

The ballots arriving after November 3 in Pennsylvania aren't going to matter because their numbers are going to be dwarfed by the final margin of victory for Biden in that state. And even if they did matter, there is a strong legal case to be made that they should be counted. It would not be a legal slam dunk for the Trump team, even with a Supreme Court freshly packed with conservatives.

You seem to think you can justify any claims of fraud by casting doubt on the motivations of state election officials and workers whenever you find it convenient. That's just not the way it works. The burden is on the Trump legal team to provide evidence, actual evidence, of widespread fraud. So far, all we've heard from people like you are silly, conspiratorial claims which beggar belief. And many of these have already been refuted by state officials.

Trump was historically unpopular for the duration of his term on account of rampant corruption, chaos, and incompetence in his administration. His inept handling of the Covid-19 pandemic only made things worse, bringing disease and economic hardship to millions of Americans. Moreover he alienated large swathes of the population with his pathological dishonesty, malignant narcissism, and the vulgarity and indecency he routinely displayed toward his perceived opponents. Why is it so difficult to believe that a man like this could fail in his bid to win reelection?

bigthinker

Well you're free to dismiss the US Constitution as a pipe dream to whatever extent makes you happy. But we fought a war with you guys because fine distinctions like that make a difference to us, and we'll fight that war as many times as maybe necessary. Seems like the elitists never really get the message, do they?

I can see right now that you were going to be sorely disappointed.

Excuse me power grab? Coming from the elitists who have mobilized every institution of power both nationally and internationally to invalidate the results of the 2016 election, fighting tooth and nail against the will of the American people, for four solid years, these elitists are now talking about a power grab? That is the most singular example of unintentionally hilarious pros in the history of the English language.

Who told you that, the New York Times? They are making a fortune off of people who come to them for their daily fix of lies that they want to believe.

When republican counties in a state or obeying the state legislatures laws about elections and the Demacrat counties are not, that is an equal protection issue and here in America we take equal protection seriously.

It's going to happen so we will see. I know that obeying the law may seem quaint to you across the pond but here in America we still like to believe that we can do things according to the law.

There you go the parade of horribles from 2016. You remember Robert Reich saying that the Dow Jones industrial average was going to lose 50% of its value if Donald Trump became president? We've had a nonstop sermon from the left saying how our esteem in the world has gone down, while peace is breaking out all over the world because of Donald Trump's world leader ship! And the irony of you mentioning the economy is absolutely hysterical! We have just come off the biggest growth quarter in the history of the United States if not the history of western civilization period!

I am old enough to remember when Joe Biden was just a dopey guy backed by the tammany Hall machine. He didn't have the intellectual acuity to be president United States at his peak. But if you actually believe that Joe Biden is going to be running the country under a Biden administration you should take a look at that legislation that Nancy Pelosi introduced for having a commission for invoking the 24th amendment removing the president for lack of capacity. Nancy was ask "is this directed at Donald Trump" she replied "no this is not directed to Donald Trump." Who does that leave?
Then you're old enough to be aware of all the people Trump screwed over, all the suckers who trusted and put their faith in him.
WHY would anyone be stupid enough to think it wouldn't be the same if he were president? Do people lose their minds, did enough people forget or were they too lazy to do the research?
Why don't you tell the thousands of small business people who had their shops and stores burn to the ground by antifa that antifa is a non-entity. I think they will beg to differ.
Where is the evidence of thousands of small business people having their shops and stores burned to the ground?
I think if you;re going to make extraordinary, insane assertions, you ought to have the integrity to provide links; asserting stuff doesn't make it so.
You mean the elitists and rent seekers will still be riding the gravy train and popping their champagne corks? Not if the American people have anything to say about it!
Well, the American people have had their say.

bigthinker

Biden is currently leading in Arizona, Nevada, and Georgia, and it appears Biden should take the lead in Pennsylvania sometime today. If these results hold, and Trump wins Alaska, North Carolina, and Maine District 2, then the final electoral vote count will be:

306 - Biden
232 - Trump

Interestingly, this is identical to the 2016 election result, with the parties reversed:

306 - Trump
232 - Clinton
Aren't Trump supporters the same group of people who follow the false prophet character in the book of Revelations?

Electric Skeptic

We are coming to that, stay tuned.
No, you're not. There's no evidence to support the nonsense Trump is spewing. It's typical of him. He's been doing his best to cast doubt on the integrity of the entire electoral process - as anti-American an act as I can think of - for months, despite all that every expert in the area has said. He's never had any evidence - he was just preparing his sheep for what's happening now - his loss and the inevitable denial from him. He's like a child who can't stand to lose a game repeating "Did not! You cheated!" even though he has not the slightest evidence of cheating.

Thistle

No, you're not.
Like Trump Russia Collusion, right?
There's no evidence to support the nonsense Trump is spewing.
That the PA supreme court unlawfully circumvented the US Constitution, yeah the evidence to support that is irrefutable.
It's typical of him.
It's typical Democrat Party, in point of fact. I understand your desire. The Dems have stolen an election, and you want to keep it stolen. Hey, cheer for whatever team you like, but spare me your pearl clutching.
He's been doing his best to cast doubt on the integrity of the entire electoral process -
In general or as it has been completely re-imagined in 2020. Joe Biden is to be congratulated:

He said he had the best election fraud operation in history and he proved it. Whether you think that is good or bad you a judgement for you to make.
as anti-American an act as I can think of -
Interesting, did you have any thoughts about Trump Russia Collusion for four years. A four year long coup against the winner of the 2016 election deserves your consideration. But that may just me my since of fairness speaking.
for months, despite all that every expert in the area has said. He's never had any evidence - he was just preparing his sheep for what's happening now
I have to admire your constancy in your seating contempt for us non-elitist of the world. One would think you'd break your character by accident some day, but no you have routine down. It's a miracle of consistency. That's what conservatives lack.
- his loss and the inevitable denial from him.
A looser with coat tail? When was the last time you saw that? Your willingness to believe anything is another iron rod of consistency you bring to the table.
He's like a child who can't stand to lose a game repeating "Did not! You cheated!" even though he has not the slightest evidence of cheating.
I don't want to shatter your world because you seem to be on a roll, but the news media doesn't pick the winner. In fact, they have zero roll, except in psych-ops like the CIA uses to topple small governments. There is no president elect, the process is on going.