Liturgical?

Except for some of the more contemporary services. I have been to a few of those as well as to a few that were hybrids. But I kinda prefer the liturgical ones. I grew up on them and came to appreciate them, since most of the liturgy we sing comes from the Bible, put to music. It helps to keep the service focused on the word of God.

I've been to numerous churches whose liturgical services would never be confused with the traditional services of English speaking churches. However, the change from the traditional service to a contemporary service has been the death rattle of sound doctrine in all the English speaking congregations that I know of except one. In that congregation they tried it for a short time and for doctrinal reasons went back to the traditional service.

I've been to numerous churches whose liturgical services would never be confused with the traditional services of English speaking churches. However, the change from the traditional service to a contemporary service has been the death rattle of sound doctrine in all the English speaking congregations that I know of except one. In that congregation they tried it for a short time and for doctrinal reasons went back to the traditional service.
I have been to a couple of LCMS contemporary services, and there was no liberalizing of doctrine, etc. My husband was with me both times and he said there was nothing wrong with them, at least, the ones we went to. He said they can be theologically correct so long as they focus on Christ and what he did for us on the cross. I didn't know any of the contemporary songs, but they too were fine theologically, though not as "dense" in doctrine as the hymns in the hymnbook are.

Whether services should be contemporary or traditional is adiaphora--neither commanded nor forbidden. It just depends upon how they are conducted and what the main focus is, in the service. But I too prefer the more traditional services. But then, I grew up on them.

Nothing .......

I thought liturgical was possibly "christ us".
I still don't get it. The liturgy we do sing every Sunday from our hymnal is usually based upon Bible verses. If you like, I will see if I can find a link to our newest hymnal, which was published in 2006. Maybe I will be able to link to some of the pages where we sing the liturgy.

I still don't get it. The liturgy we do sing every Sunday from our hymnal is usually based upon Bible verses. If you like, I will see if I can find a link to our newest hymnal, which was published in 2006. Maybe I will be able to link to some of the pages where we sing the liturgy.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Latin liturgy. As established by the cough ..... cough Catholic church.

What does liturgy mean, for you guys?

I watched a couple of liturgical Catholic masses,given in Latin. They seemed to be repeating "Christ us".

Did Lutherans through out the Latin, in favor of words, people understand?

I was thinking more along the lines of the Latin liturgy. As established by the cough ..... cough Catholic church.

What does liturgy mean, for you guys?

I watched a couple of liturgical Catholic masses,given in Latin. They seemed to be repeating "Christ us".

Did Lutherans through out the Latin, in favor of words, people understand?
You mean, did Lutherans throw out the Latin? I don't know if we ever had the liturgy sung in Latin...German, yes, but not Latin, LOL! But by 1941, when the entirely English hymnal came out, the liturgy was all sung in English.

If you have the patience, you can download parts of the Lutheran Service Book here, in PDF form:

I haven't checked it out, but this should help.

You probably heard "Christos" which simply means "Christ."

You mean, did Lutherans throw out the Latin? I don't know if we ever had the liturgy sung in Latin...German, yes, but not Latin, LOL! But by 1941, when the entirely English hymnal came out, the liturgy was all sung in English.

If you have the patience, you can download parts of the Lutheran Service Book here, in PDF form:

I haven't checked it out, but this should help.

You probably heard "Christos" which simply means "Christ."

Christos.....seems verbage.

Been wrong before though.

Last edited:
Not an expert ...

Christ victorios = liturgical?
Liturgy is an order of service.

Latin is an inflected language. The form of words change depending on their role in the sentence, for example, as the subject or object.

It looks like what you are referring to in English would be Christ the victor. (Latin has no definite article.)

In any case, I read through the Tridentine Mass and didn't see anything resembling what you've written above.

The Lutherans did transition to a German order of Divine Service, Gottesdienst (God is the primary one who acts and the congregation then responds.), but they were careful not to throw out the Baby with the bath water.

Last edited:
Back