Local church membership

I think it's implied that there was a local membership.
Paul says things in his letters that imply they knew who the local body was.

However it seems an official joining was uneccessary.

I am having this debate with my elders. An official "joining" is required and I am no comfortable with that extra Biblical requirement.
its not required..you are right...

One who is of Christ, anointed of God by His same mind as Jesus was of, Spirit, is the elder.
As an elder, a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: shepherd the flock of God;
when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory. 1 Peter 5:1-4

As an elder, a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: shepherd the flock of God;
when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory. 1 Peter 5:1-4
I was the deacon and I was the elder in the church of laws just as Jesus was in the temple of laws he taught in, but like Jesus God came to me and opened up all of who He is and all of His heaven in me no different from my brother Jesus from our Father who is God. God kicked us out from those pews for law as you are glued to from Paul as a sinner.

JonHawk said:
I was the deacon and I was the elder in the church of laws just as Jesus was in the temple of laws he taught in, but like Jesus God came to me and opened up all of who He is and all of His heaven in me no different from my brother Jesus from our Father who is God. God kicked us out from those pews for law as you are glued to from Paul as a sinner.
Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete; Heb 13:20-21

JonHawk said:
And when you see Him as He is ye shall be like Him as well, 1 John 3 -- but that isn't going to happen is it?
Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete; Heb 13:20-21
He hasn't brought Jesus back from the dead for you. That is a gnostic lie for you isn't it? The one at your door this day knocking is a gnostic lier for you who rejects Him.

JonHawk said:
And when you see Him as He is ye shall be like Him as well, 1 John 3 -- but that isn't going to happen is it?
For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, to destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8
He hasn't brought Jesus back from the dead for you. That is a gnostic lie for you isn't it?
gnostic liars are those who deny Christ. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9
I Jesus will come to you...Because I live, you will live also. 20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. John 14

Last edited:
JonHawk said:
And when, or if you ever see Him as He is, ye shall be like Him to. 1 John 3.
For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, to destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8Not for you for you are of the devil and accuse God and Jesus in their ways as gnostic liars.
Not for you, you are a sinner as you say instead of Gods righteous. That is why His ways is gnostic lies for you.
gnostic liars are those who deny Christ.
Those who accuse him as a gnostic liar are agnostic and of Satan.
He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9
Indeed I do, but for those who accuse Him as a gnostic liar will pay His price.
I Jesus will come to you...Because I live, you will live also. 20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. John 14
He cant come to you because of your accusation of him in his ways being a gnostic liar.

But He did come to me and I saw Him as He really is and became like Him. . 1 John 3.

For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, to destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8

Blind gnostic liars are those who deny Christ. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9
But He did come to me and I saw Him as He really is and became like Him. . 1 John 3.
What came to you was a lawless contrary spirit since you reject Christ. Gary Mac "I do reject redemption through Jesus"

Whoever sins [violates the covenant] has neither seen Him nor known Him. Let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, to destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:6-8

For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; 2 Peter 1:16-18 In whom we have redemption, Col 1:13-15

I am having this debate with my elders. An official "joining" is required and I am no comfortable with that extra Biblical requirement.
I have two good reasons . Accountability to leadership and commitment to the body and use the gifts God has equipped you for to build up the body.

Therefore edify one another, just as you also are doing.
we are to build up the soul

not the flesh
Christ died for us, so that whether we are awake (alive in Christ) or asleep (died to be raised together at Christ’s appearing), we will live together with Him [sharing eternal life]. 1 Thess 5:10-11

God's people are granted eternal glory in Christ Jesus. 2 Tim 2:10

Last edited:

Christ died for us, so that whether we are awake (alive in Christ) or asleep (died to be raised together at Christ’s appearing), we will live together with Him [sharing eternal life]. 1 Thess 5:10-11

Christ cannot die, Christ is Gods Spirit in man to be anointed of Him. Christ in me is the same anointing Jesus receieved from GHod in Matt 3:16, but you wouldn't know about that because His ways for you is gnostic lies.

JonHawk said:

Christ cannot die, Christ is Gods Spirit in man to be anointed of Him. Christ in me is the same anointing Jesus receieved from GHod in Matt 3:16, but you wouldn't know about that because His ways for you is gnostic lies.
You wouldn't know anything about Christ's work of redemption because you're a blind gnostic. Gary Mac "I do reject redemption through Jesus".
What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 2 Cor 6:15
And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they will not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 2 Cor 4:3-4

JonHawk said:

You wouldn't know anything about Christ's work of redemption because you're a blind gnostic. Gary Mac "I do reject redemption through Jesus".
What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 2 Cor 6:15
And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they will not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 2 Cor 4:3-4
The way in which you show God that you neither love nor respect Him is by the obtuseness of your heart and mind toward what He says.

Not one time dod you quote Jesus in this, and you never quote Jesus, only repeat what others say about him and God.

You have no original one on one conversation with God is all because you dont know how, and a puppet on a string that Paul controls of you as a sinner.

Why dont you just man up and admit that you like your sin more than you like God in holiness?

yesterday morning lasting for an hour…
i was half dozing….
and there was warm soft loving light glowing
and then i was inside where He brought me ….
and He showed me gorgeous things
and i felt His Words in me , knowing them by heart
….was so real and i was so awake there

This idea is nothing more than an invention of wicked men. The join each other and then behave like each other. It is nothing more than a self reaffirmation mutual admiration club seeking serving a creedal idol rather than the Living God. True followers of Jesus become united with him and behave like him.

This idea is nothing more than an invention of wicked men. The join each other and then behave like each other. It is nothing more than a self reaffirmation mutual admiration club seeking serving a creedal idol rather than the Living God. True followers of Jesus become united with him and behave like him.
Your claim is wicked and divisive.

Then don't join. Church membership is Biblical. If you don't want to join, then just ignore the clear teaching of scripture and don't join

Then don't join. Church membership is Biblical. If you don't want to join, then just ignore the clear teaching of scripture and don't join
What passage are you referring to?

And do you realize that seems an uncharitable assumption on your part, that I am "ignoring"?

Back