Losing Salvation

RayneBeau

Will Roman Catholics , who have been baptised as Roman Catholics at birth, and who have recieved communion, confession, and confirmation, lose any possibility of eternal salvation by leaving the Roman Catholic Church and joining a "protestant" church for the rest of their life?

Will Roman Catholics , who have been baptised as Roman Catholics at birth, and who have recieved communion, confession, and confirmation, lose any possibility of eternal salvation by leaving the Roman Catholic Church and joining a "protestant" church for the rest of their life?
RCs are always taught there is the sin of presumption and if they die in mortal sin, hell is their destination.

This is a question I always ponder because the scriptures can be taken to mean you can lose it and also that you cannot lose it. I wonder if it is more a case of those who continue to sin and not change were never saved. But then a lot of people can seem to be changed and then later some fall into adultery.

I think what we should focus on is Jesus, keeping our eyes on Him. Following Him and then we will not have a problem. Jesus should be the focus of teachings etc. That will ensure people will stay attached to the vine.

It would be a high risk move. These other churches are not playing with a full deck.

We aren't encouraged to speculate on the eternal fate of another's soul but entrusting them to God's mercy.

It would be a high risk move. These other churches are not playing with a full deck.
from a pro Catholic site
Catholics who became Protestant also claim to have a stronger faith now than when they were children or teenagers. Seventy-one percent say their faith is “very strong,

"Thus, both as believers and as worshipers, Catholics who become Protestants are statistically better Christians than those who stay Catholic. We are losing the best, not the worst."

“That Catholics are leaving to join evangelical churches because of the church teaching on the Bible is a disgrace. Too few homilists explain the scriptures to their people. Few Catholics read the Bible.

The church needs a massive Bible education program. The church needs to acknowledge that understanding the Bible is more important than memorizing the catechism. If we could get Catholics to read the Sunday scripture readings each week before they come to Mass, it would be revolutionary. If you do not read and pray the scriptures, you are not an adult Christian. Catholics who become evangelicals understand this.”
www.ncronline.org/news/parish/hidden-exodus-catholics-becoming-protestants

NO SURPRISE that RCs are very quickly diverting from the op. This could have been an interesting discussion but no RCs cannot answer the OP questions, so divert.

I didn't ask what your personal 'speculation' was, I asked what the RCC teaching is on that question.
You never specified one way or the other. The Church has no teaching on who is damned and who is saved. Only that the ordinary means Christ uses to dispense the grace needed for salvation is through the Sacrament.

RCs are always taught there is the sin of presumption and if they die in mortal sin, hell is their destination.

This is a question I always ponder because the scriptures can be taken to mean you can lose it and also that you cannot lose it. I wonder if it is more a case of those who continue to sin and not change were never saved. But then a lot of people can seem to be changed and then later some fall into adultery.
Yes. The parable of the seed sower comes to mind. And this Scripture from our Lord:

John 10:27 "My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

I think this verse speaks volumes concerning OSAS tropes from Rc's. He knows us, He gave us eternal life, we will never perish, no one can snatch us out of His hand. This is assurance for every true born-again follower of the Way.
I think what we should focus on is Jesus, keeping our eyes on Him. Following Him and then we will not have a problem. Jesus should be the focus of teachings etc. That will ensure people will stay attached to the vine.
May I add that when we truly follow Him He promises us we will suffer, we will be hated for His names sake. But, as you said, keep our eyes on Him, remembering His grace is enough.

Yes. The parable of the seed sower comes to mind. And this Scripture from our Lord:

John 10:27 "My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

I think this verse speaks volumes concerning OSAS tropes from Rc's. He knows us, He gave us eternal life, we will never perish, no one can snatch us out of His hand. This is assurance for every true born-again follower of the Way.

May I add that when we truly follow Him He promises us we will suffer, we will be hated for His names sake. But, as you said, keep our eyes on Him, remembering His grace is enough.
If one should lose their salvation, there is NO way for one to get it back unless Jesus would be crucified again. And that will not happen. His sacrifice was once for all. It is finished!

Back