love of.....? Whose wisdom?

SteveB

The word- Philosophy- is the "Love of Wisdom"
Phileo Sophia

The question then becomes--- whose wisdom do we love?

The wisdom of man?
Which contains the sum of all knowledge, understanding, perspectives, ideas, values, beliefs, etc.....

Or, the Wisdom of God?
A lot of atheists don't believe God exists, so to them this is foolishness, right out of the gate.
Which is what makes the preaching of the gospel of Jesus so interesting.
We read in 1 Corinthians 1:21, that

1Co 1:21 NKJV - For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

Nouveau

Just wisdom.

What matters is that it be true, which is a criterion religious thought typically fails to meet.

SteveB

Just wisdom.

What matters is that it be true, which is a criterion religious thought typically fails to meet.
I would suppose that means it's a good thing that I'm neither Calvin, nor a child.
I find it rather curious that you'd choose a child's comic strip character to show yourself.

Nouveau

I would suppose that means it's a good thing that I'm neither Calvin, nor a child.
I find it rather curious that you'd choose a child's comic strip character to show yourself.
I pity you if you think C&H is only for children.

Besides, how many times have you said that God requires us to be as children?

SteveB

I pity you if you think C&H is only for children.
Having grown up with C&H, I learned how to view it as humor, not an ideal to live by.

Besides, how many times have you said that God requires us to be as children?
there's a difference between trusting God im/explicitly, and acting like childish behaviors are a good thing.

Even Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 13:11--- when I was a child, I spoke as a child, understood as a child, and thought as a child. But when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Your selection of Hobbes as an avatar--- knowing that he was the instigator of most of C's antics, reminds me of the idea of invisible friends who manifested themselves in play things such as Hobbes.

Nouveau

Having grown up with C&H...
Do you like C&H then or not?

Your selection of Hobbes as an avatar--- knowing that he was the instigator of most of C's antics, reminds me of the idea of invisible friends who manifested themselves in play things such as Hobbes.
I would have thought my selection of a character existing only in the protagonist's imagination would be something you could relate to.

This is the philosophy sub-forum, and there is a ton of philosophy in C&H.

SteveB

Do you like C&H then or not?
Of course I do. The kid reminds me of me when I was growing up.... as a child. Childish antics with a stuffed animal, to help personify my basest ideals, hurting people who love me, and wanted to be friends....
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, and I thought as a child. When I became a man, I put away childish things.
I would have thought my selection of a character existing only in the protagonist's imagination would be something you could relate to.
Oh, I relate..... I relate it to someone who needs something to personify his basest ideals in a stuffed animal.
Why would you think that's a good thing?

This is the philosophy sub-forum, and there is a ton of philosophy in C&H.
And yet you've chosen to hijack an op that has nothing to do with C&H, to show how childish you are, instead of posting a stand alone op relating to C&H.

Nouveau

Of course I do.
Then reflect for a moment on what you've just done. You saw someone make an avatar based on something you also like, but instead of using it as an opportunity to build bridges through a shared interest, you decided to attack and criticize.

Oh, I relate..... I relate it to someone who needs something to personify his basest ideals in a stuffed animal.
I didn't say it was a good thing. I said I thought you'd be able to relate to it, and I was right.

And yet you've chosen to hijack an op that has nothing to do with C&H, to show how childish you are, instead of posting a stand alone op relating to C&H.
You're the one who turned this into a discussion of my avatar, not me. And now you're insulting me instead of addressing the topic.

SteveB

Then reflect for a moment on what you've just done. You saw someone make an avatar based on something you also like, but instead of using it as an opportunity to build bridges through a shared interest, you decided to attack and criticize.
No. I simply understand the philosophical context of C&H.

You on the other hand have used what you think of religious beliefs, to exclude you from meeting, and knowing God. And then argued with a complete stranger, trying to convince them that your failure means their experiences are false.

So..... wanna try that again?

I didn't say it was a good thing. I said I thought you'd be able to relate to it, and I was right.
You're the one who turned this into a discussion of my avatar, not me. And now you're insulting me instead of addressing the topic.
You're the one who needed to make it an issue. So, I dealt with it.

Nouveau

Yes. That's what you did. Someone made an avatar based on something you also like, and you attacked them for it.

You on the other hand have used what you think of religious beliefs, to exclude you from meeting, and knowing God. And then argued with a complete stranger, trying to convince them that your failure means their experiences are false.
I've done neither of those things. So... wanna try that again?

You're the one who needed to make it an issue.
No, again that was you.

The Pixie

The wisdom of man?
Which contains the sum of all knowledge, understanding, perspectives, ideas, values, beliefs, etc.....

Or, the Wisdom of God?
I will take the sum of all knowledge, understanding, perspectives, ideas, values, beliefs, etc.

I am curious what the wisdom of God could add to that.

SteveB

Yes. That's what you did. Someone made an avatar based on something you also like, and you attacked them for it.
Just how do you see this working......
Do you think that as long as you clip the parts that you don't like, you're going to win an argument you lost the moment you told God you're not actually interested in knowing him?

I've done neither of those things. So... wanna try that again?
And yet you did.
Just because you don't think you did does not mean you did not.

No, again that was you.
I'm still waiting for you to actually demonstrate anything even remotely viable to prove that your ignorance is a reliable source of knowledge and awareness.

SteveB

I will take the sum of all knowledge, understanding, perspectives, ideas, values, beliefs, etc.

I am curious what the wisdom of God could add to that.
HE himself IS the sum of all knowledge, understanding, perspectives, ideas, values.......
Here's something to help clarify the confusion you're having.

Nouveau

Just how do you see this working......
It's obviously not working, but that doesn't seem to be stopping you. You just can't be honest.

Do you think that as long as you clip the parts that you don't like, you're going to win an argument you lost the moment you told God you're not actually interested in knowing him?
Strawman #1

And yet you did.
Strawman #2

I'm still waiting for you to actually demonstrate anything even remotely viable to prove that your ignorance is a reliable source of knowledge and awareness.
Strawman #3

e v e

The word- Philosophy- is the "Love of Wisdom"
Phileo Sophia

The wisdom of man?

Or, the Wisdom of God?
A lot of atheists don't believe God exists, so to them this is foolishness, right out of the gate.
Which is what makes the preaching of the gospel of Jesus so interesting.
We read in 1 Corinthians 1:21, that

1Co 1:21 NKJV - For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
the phrase "love of wisdom" comes from plato...and actually refers to two pagan gods, one love, chasing the other, wisdom. the philosopher would be the one who could 'acquire' that wisdom, by desiring it (love) thus be inhabited by the 'god'. this is the pagan view of acquiring the 'mind' of that god, which was called the 'daemon'. it has no masculine or feminine quality...its utterly signatureless...and IT.

modern science is actually the same type religious point of view of that 'god'.
which most people think of as their own "self"...
so devious is the satanic realm.

if someone listens to their I, thinking its thoughts are their thoughts, how can they meet God ?

Mr Laurier

Of course I do. The kid reminds me of me when I was growing up.... as a child. Childish antics with a stuffed animal, to help personify my basest ideals, hurting people who love me, and wanted to be friends....
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, and I thought as a child. When I became a man, I put away childish things.

So you had no idea what Calvin and Hobbes was about. You missed the obvious subtext, and saw only the zany gags.

SteveB

So you had no idea what Calvin and Hobbes was about. You missed the obvious subtext, and saw only the zany gags.
I was in my mid twenties through my mid thirties when it was in first run.
I got it just fine.

I think the problem here is that you're demanding I see it from your view, and so couldn't possibly get it because I don't see it as you see it.

That my dear fellow human is the definitive expression of intolerance.

It's a good thing I'm not your son. I wouldn't be able to think for myself.

Mr Laurier

I was in my mid twenties through my mid thirties when it was in first run.
I got it just fine.

I think the problem here is that you're demanding I see it from your view, and so couldn't possibly get it because I don't see it as you see it.

That my dear fellow human is the definitive expression of intolerance.

It's a good thing I'm not your son. I wouldn't be able to think for myself.
Ok...

So you are wrong again. No surprise.

Only to you.

What? Why wouldn't you be able to think for yourself? Would you have a brain injury? If so, how?

SteveB

Ok...

So you are wrong again. No surprise.

Only to you.

What? Why wouldn't you be able to think for yourself? Would you have a brain injury? If so, how?
I'm sure glad I don't think like you or an atheist.
How does it feel knowing that unless people agree with you they're wrong and must have a brain injury.

Mr Laurier

I'm sure glad I don't think like you or an atheist.
How does it feel knowing that unless people agree with you they're wrong and must have a brain injury.
Why?
I wouldnt know. Try asking someone who "knows" something that bizzare and nonsensical.