Luke 1:39-56, Mary visits Elizabeth

LifeIn

Today the Church takes a break from the Bread of Life Discourse to celebrate the Assumption of Mary into heaven. We will conclude the Bread of Life Discourse next Sunday. Today's Gospel describes the visit of Mary to Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-56).

In these verses we learn a lot from Elizabeth who is speaking with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit when she calls Mary "blessed" and says "And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" Here we have the most direct support for the title of Mary as "mother of God." She is not merely the mother of the human form of Jesus. She is the mother of the Lord, and the mother of our Lord too.

Nondenom40

Today the Church takes a break from the Bread of Life Discourse to celebrate the Assumption of Mary into heaven. We will conclude the Bread of Life Discourse next Sunday. Today's Gospel describes the visit of Mary to Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-56).

In these verses we learn a lot from Elizabeth who is speaking with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit when she calls Mary "blessed" and says "And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" Here we have the most direct support for the title of Mary as "mother of God." She is not merely the mother of the human form of Jesus. She is the mother of the Lord, and the mother of our Lord too.
Mother of my Lord isn't mother of God.

Luke 1
43 και ποθεν μοι τουτο ινα ελθη η μητηρ του κυριου μου προς με

Kurios not theos. It's not even close. And marys assumption isn't found in the bible either, 0/2.

PeanutGallery

Today the Church takes a break from the Bread of Life Discourse ...
So much for the daily bread;

to celebrate the Assumption of Mary into heaven. We will conclude the Bread of Life Discourse next Sunday. Today's Gospel describes the visit of Mary to Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-56).

"Mother of my Lord", "Mother of Jesus", yes! Not a single "Mother of God" stated in God's inspired written Bible.

LifeIn

Mother of my Lord isn't mother of God.

Luke 1
43 και ποθεν μοι τουτο ινα ελθη η μητηρ του κυριου μου προς με

Kurios not theos. It's not even close.
Really? "Lord" and "God" are not even close? Then tell me this. When Joshua says "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord," is he talking about serving God or someone else? According to you, they are very different.

RayneBeau

It figures that Roman Catholics are so brainwashed that they use this part of Luke's gospel to promote Mary as the "mother of God," instead of this gospel's real purpose which is to explain the good news about Jesus! The focus is on hearing or reading the good news about Jesus and the response Luke urges us to make to it. The content is about Jesus - His identity, character, mission and message - not Mary!

LifeIn

It figures that Roman Catholics are so brainwashed that they use this part of Luke's gospel to promote Mary as the "mother of God," instead of this gospel's real purpose which is to explain the good news about Jesus!
It stands to reason that those who want to deny Catholic doctrine will ignore any part of the Word of God that they find inconvenient for their denial.

Nondenom40

Really? "Lord" and "God" are not even close? Then tell me this. When Joshua says "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord," is he talking about serving God or someone else? According to you, they are very different.
Lord has a number of different meanings. Appealing to Joshua in the o.t. isn't gonna compare very well in the n.t. context. People in Israel were looking for the messiah which is what Liz was talking about. They had no concept of God becoming man. Even after the resurrection they didn't get it. So no, Lord here in Luke 1 isn't God. There is no mother of God in the bible.

LifeIn

Luke 1:43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
'Mother of my Lord' is written in God's inspired Holy Bible, why do you add to his word?
If Elizabeth calls Mary "the mother of my Lord", is she talking about some other Lord besides your Lord and Savior? Remember, she is speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Is "the Lord" someone entirely different from Elizabeth's Lord? (who is, of course, Jesus).

Lord has a number of different meanings. Appealing to Joshua in the o.t. isn't gonna compare very well in the n.t. context. People in Israel were looking for the messiah which is what Liz was talking about. They had no concept of God becoming man. Even after the resurrection they didn't get it. So no, Lord here in Luke 1 isn't God. There is no mother of God in the bible.
Elizabeth may not have understood fully what "the Lord" means, but you do. So when she says "mother of my Lord", you know she is talking about the mother of your Lord too, who is Jesus, the savior. So Mary is the mother of your Lord and Savior. Certainly you don't a problem understanding that, right?

Liz said 'mother of my Lord..' Youre still trying to make mary something shes not. You have to introduce new words into the text to make it sound the way you want.
You mean new words as in saying "God" instead of "Lord"? OK, suppose we leave it at "Lord" and didn't use a new word. That would be OK with you to say Mary is the mother of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ, right?

You would benefit from reading Luke 1:39-56 in several different translations. Ask God to enlighten your mind to understand, and to soften your heart to respond.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm good.

Do you even know what Mary was praising God for? Was she praising Him for what He did in OT times, or was she prophesying what God was beginning to do through Jesus?
Actually it is both. First she praises Him for granting her the honor of bearing the promised one, the messiah - for doing "great things" for her personally. This is prophesying what God will accomplish through the child in her womb. Then she praises him for showing his might and brought down the mighty and raised up the lowly. This is past tense because she says "He has shown might with his arm".

PeanutGallery

Elizabeth may not have understood fully what "the Lord" means, but you do. So when she says "mother of my Lord", you know she is talking about the mother of your Lord too, who is Jesus, the savior. So Mary is the mother of your Lord and Savior. Certainly you don't a problem understanding that, right?
Who cares what Elizabeth, RCC, you, or I understand; what matters is what God says, where does God call Mary the 'Mother of God'?

LifeIn

Who cares what Elizabeth, RCC, you, or I understand; what matters is what God says, where does God call Mary the 'Mother of God'?
Apparently you don't care what God says, because speaking through Elizabeth, God calls Mary the mother of the Lord. You have yet to acknowledge that much.

RayneBeau

If Elizabeth calls Mary "the mother of my Lord", is she talking about some other Lord besides your Lord and Savior? Remember, she is speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Is "the Lord" someone entirely different from Elizabeth's Lord? (who is, of course, Jesus).

You mean new words as in saying "God" instead of "Lord"? OK, suppose we leave it at "Lord" and didn't use a new word. That would be OK with you to say Mary is the mother of our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ, right?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm good.

Actually it is both. First she praises Him for granting her the honor of bearing the promised one, the messiah - for doing "great things" for her personally. This is prophesying what God will accomplish through the child in her womb. Then she praises him for showing his might and brought down the mighty and raised up the lowly. This is past tense because she says "He has shown might with his arm".
Mary calls God "my Savior" in vs. 47. How do think she portrays God as Savior in vs. 46-55?