Luke 11:13 to those who ask

Sethproton

...how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?

The Holy Spirit regenerates us when He indwells us. This verse teaches that we ask and then the Father gives.

Theo1689

...how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?

The Holy Spirit regenerates us when He indwells us. This verse teaches that we ask and then the Father gives.

CONTEXT!
He is called our "Father", and the previous part of the verse (which you decided NOT to post, VERY interesting) refers to us as "His children".

You would have us ask for the Holy Spirit to BECOME His children.
Scripture teaches He gives us the Holy Spirit BECAUSE we are ALREADY His children.

civic

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Do you ever quote your verse ?

Do you ever consider the context ?

Do you ever consider who Jesus is speaking to ?

Do you consider why Jesus responded with good gifts and the Holy Spirit

Do you ever consider who he was addressing as fathers in the passage ?

Do you ever consider His comparison ?

Do you ever consider the fact Jesus was teaching His disciples how to pray ?

Do you ever consider you are jumping to conclusions and this is not about regeneration or indwelling but the Holy Spirit guiding the disciples ?

hope this helps !!!

Theo1689

Like when my Mom was pregnant with me, and I had to "ask" her to be born.
And she refused to give birth to me unless I first asked, and gave my "permission".

Whatever.

Theo1689

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Do you ever quote your verse ?

Do you ever consider the context ?

Do you ever consider who Jesus is speaking to ?

Do you consider why Jesus responded with good gifts and the Holy Spirit

Do you ever consider who he was addressing as fathers in the passage ?

Do you ever consider His comparison ?

Do you ever consider the fact Jesus was teaching His disciples how to pray ?

Do you ever consider you are jumping to conclusions and this is not about regeneration or indwelling but the Holy Spirit guiding the disciples ?

hope this helps !!!

Does he have you on ignore too?
Because those would be EXCELLENT questions for him to answer.
But I guess he's never going to...

Sethproton

Just put the full context of the passage out here for everybody to see.
How much of the passage do you think is relevant for understanding this particular point?
We all have Bibles, but sure, if it would help, I can copy and paste the relevant context in.
Tell from where to where you would like to see pasted here.

Theo1689

How much of the passage do you think is relevant for understanding this particular point?
We all have Bibles, but sure, if it would help, I can copy and paste the relevant context in.

Typical Seth tactic.

When asked to do something, or to answer a question, he simply responds,
"Sure, I can do that if you want me to. Do you want me to?"

??!???!?!?!?!?

travelah

Are you suggesting you just plucked a partial verse and don't know the full context?

civic

Does he have you on ignore too?
Because those would be EXCELLENT questions for him to answer.
But I guess he's never going to...
Yes but it will not stop me from posting and responding for the lurkers and posters on CARM

Sethproton

Are you suggesting you just plucked a partial verse and don't know the full context?
No. The context is the Book of Luke chapter 11, what part of that do you personally feel is relevant to understanding this part of verse 13.
I told you I am willing to paste in what part you think is relevant to understand the context. Just tell me from where to where, I will do it and then you can comment on what you see

travelah

No. The context is the Book of Luke chapter 11, what part of that do you personally feel is relevant to understanding this part of verse 13.
I told you I am willing to paste in what part you think is relevant to understand the context. Just tell me from where to where, I will do it and then you can comment on what you see
5 -13 .... then you should be able to see he is talking about believers and the good things God for His children. It isn't talking about regeneration, being born again in any sense.

Sethproton

5 -13 .... then you should be able to see he is talking about believers and the good things God for His children. It isn't talking about regeneration, being born again in any sense.
Are you teaching that receiving the holy Spirit is a repeated action. Not just a one time event?
But Here it is Luke 11:5-13, let me know what you are referring to.

Then He said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend, and goes to him at midnight and says to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has come to me from a journey, and I have nothing to set before him’;
and from inside he answers and says, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been shut and my children and I are in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.
“I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
“So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
“For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it will be opened.
“Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he?
“Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he?
“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him.

Last edited:

Theo1689

Are you teaching that receiving the holy Spirit is a repeated action. Not just a one time event?

Are YOU teaching that receiving the Holy Spirit is just a one time event, and not a repeated action?

Does your "cup overflow"?
If so, how?

civic

But Here it is Luke 11:5-13, let me know what you are referring to.

Then He said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend, and goes to him at midnight and says to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has come to me from a journey, and I have nothing to set before him’;
and from inside he answers and says, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been shut and my children and I are in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.
“I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
“So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
“For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it will be opened.
“Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he?
“Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he?
“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who
You have yet to "prove " your assumption from the text that is bold and underlined above. Thus far its only conjecture at this point as you have not proven your assumption.