Luke 21:20-22 Are We Close, Jerusalem Encompassed By Armies?

Truth7t7

Israel is surrounded by hostile nations presently, Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Iran, will they soon March towards Jerusalem?

Luke 21:20-22KJV
20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Luke 21:20-22 Are We Close, Jerusalem Encompassed By Armies?

We are about 1,954 years away from Jerusalem compassed with armies in AD 70.

So it depends on whether you consider 1,954 years "close" or not.

20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Israel is surrounded by hostile nations presently, Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Iran, will they soon March towards Jerusalem?

Most Bible teachers that I know are saying that it is Ezekiel 38 and Isaiah 17 that are getting close.

Ezekiel 38:
14 Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say unto Gog, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?
15 And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company, and a mighty army:
16 And thou shalt come up against my people of Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring thee against my land, that the heathen may know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, O Gog, before their eyes.
17 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them?
18 And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that my fury shall come up in my face.

Isaiah 17:1 The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.

The following is the Hebrew translation for taken away. Ruinous heap speaks for itself. H4654 and H4596 will confirm it.

H5493​

Original: שׂוּר סוּר
Transliteration: sûr śûr
Phonetic: soor
BDB Definition
:
  1. to turn aside, depart
    1. (Qal)
      1. to turn aside, turn in unto
      2. to depart, depart from way, avoid
      3. to be removed
      4. to come to an end
    2. (Polel) to turn aside
    3. (Hiphil)
      1. to cause to turn aside, cause to depart, remove, take away, put away, depose
      2. to put aside, leave undone, retract, reject, abolish
    4. (Hophal) to be taken away, be removed
Origin: a primitive root
TWOT entry: 1480
Part(s) of speech: Verb
Strong's Definition: A primitive root; to turn off (literally or figuratively): - be [-head], bring, call back, decline, depart, eschew, get [you], go (aside), X grievous, lay away (by), leave undone, be past, pluck away, put (away, down), rebel, remove (to and fro), revolt, X be sour, take (away, off), turn (aside, away, in), withdraw, be without.

The way I see it and the way I have been taught is that it will only exist as a city in history books after this happens.

What is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world today?

According to research studies and historical evidence, Damascus was first inhabited in the second half of the seventh millennia B.C. It is the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world, and is a prominent cultural centre of the Arab world. SOURCE: GOOGLE

Most Bible teachers that I know are saying that it is Ezekiel 38 and Isaiah 17 that are getting close.

Ezekiel 38:
14 Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say unto Gog, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?
15 And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company, and a mighty army:
16 And thou shalt come up against my people of Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring thee against my land, that the heathen may know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, O Gog, before their eyes.
17 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them?
18 And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that my fury shall come up in my face.

Isaiah 17:1 The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap.

The following is the Hebrew translation for taken away. Ruinous heap speaks for itself. H4654 and H4596 will confirm it.

H5493​

Original: שׂוּר סוּר
Transliteration: sûr śûr
Phonetic: soor
BDB Definition
:
  1. to turn aside, depart
    1. (Qal)
      1. to turn aside, turn in unto
      2. to depart, depart from way, avoid
      3. to be removed
      4. to come to an end
    2. (Polel) to turn aside
    3. (Hiphil)
      1. to cause to turn aside, cause to depart, remove, take away, put away, depose
      2. to put aside, leave undone, retract, reject, abolish
    4. (Hophal) to be taken away, be removed
Origin: a primitive root
TWOT entry: 1480
Part(s) of speech: Verb
Strong's Definition: A primitive root; to turn off (literally or figuratively): - be [-head], bring, call back, decline, depart, eschew, get [you], go (aside), X grievous, lay away (by), leave undone, be past, pluck away, put (away, down), rebel, remove (to and fro), revolt, X be sour, take (away, off), turn (aside, away, in), withdraw, be without.

The way I see it and the way I have been taught is that it will only exist as a city in history books after this happens.

What is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world today?

According to research studies and historical evidence, Damascus was first inhabited in the second half of the seventh millennia B.C. It is the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world, and is a prominent cultural centre of the Arab world. SOURCE: GOOGLE
Ezekiel 38 was fulfilled "Long Ago", a battle fought with horsemen, shields, and swords

You aren't going to take horses, swords, and shields, and turn them into battle tanks and automatic machine guns, Big Smiles!

Ezekiel 38:4KjV
4 And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed with all sorts of armour, even a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords:

I say we're not quite there yet...though it could be soon. But first the Jews will need to rebuild the temple and create a space for the desolation to occur.

Many believe this desolation will occur 3 1/2 years into the time of Jacobs trouble...tribulation...I tend to agree with the many.

Israel is not Jerusalem.

The mountain regions are presently the most dangerous areas.

I say we're not quite there yet...though it could be soon. But first the Jews will need to rebuild the temple and create a space for the desolation to occur.

Many believe this desolation will occur 3 1/2 years into the time of Jacobs trouble...tribulation...I tend to agree with the many.
No such thing as a 7 year tribulation, the Bible teaches of a 42 month or 1260 day tribulation

Ezekiel 38 was fulfilled "Long Ago", a battle fought with horsemen, shields, and swords

You aren't going to take horses, swords, and shields, and turn them into battle tanks and automatic machine guns, Big Smiles!

4 And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed with all sorts of armour, even a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords:
Give me a citation from history books as to when this happened.

Give me a citation from history books as to when this happened.
No need for man's history, God's words tell you loud and clear

maybe, but history will show that it in fact did happen or not. so, take me to Missouri and show me.

Ezekiel 38:

5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet:

6 Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah of the north quarters, and all his bands: and many people with thee.

7 Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee, and be thou a guard unto them.

8 After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land that is brought back from the sword, and is gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.

If that's what you need to believe, go for it.
The Christians will have been raptured off the earth prior to it all happening.
No such thing as a pre-trib rapture found in scripture, it's a John N. Darby, C.I. Scofield man made fairy tale

The idea of the rapture pre-dated Darby and Scofield.

A brief history of the rapture can be found here.
First off, Jesus never said that he could return at any time at all but only that we don't know when he will return and therefore we need to watch and pray.

So how about you showing anywhere from his words in the NT where he actually said that he could come back at any time at all?

Have fun flogging that dead horse.

Secondly, your source is reading more into what was stated than what is actually and explicitly stated.

Here, let me show you what I mean by this, for here is his quote below.

Why therefore do we not reject every care of earthly actions and prepare ourselves for the meeting of the Lord Christ, so that he may draw us from the confusion, which overwhelms all the world? . . . For all the saints and elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins.

This statement evidences a clear belief that all Christians will escape the tribulation through a gathering to the Lord and is stated early in the sermon. How else can this be understood other than as pretribulational? The later second coming of Christ to theearth with the saints is mentioned at the end of the sermon.

First, what does he mean by "that he may draw us from the confusion" for he never actually says that this is a removal from the earth.

Second, being gathered and taken to the Lord is quite ambiguous to say the least, for again, nothing is stated by him that reveals a removal from the and he could therefore just be saying that before the tribulation, Jesus will draw his elect close to himself so has to keep them from falling in the confusion of the world over what is happening on the earth.

Furthermore, this is one guy out of a bunch of others that never mentioned any belief that they would be removed from the earth before the Tribulation and not even to mention the fact that they were already moving into the apostasy from the truth while Paul and others of the Apostles were still alive, See 2 Thessalonians 2:7.

You need to read Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 22-24 and answer this question, how many resurrections does Paul speak of that will be at the Coming of Jesus, for Christ's resurrection was the first mentioned and then the first fruits and they can be seen in Matthew 27:51-53.

So the only resurrection in the future Paul tells us will be at Christ's single second coming and then Paul says the end will come when he will deliver that Kingdom of resurrected and raptured saints up unto God even the Father.

Read on, for he says first all enemies must be destroyed and that the last enemy to be destroyed will be death, and this is so obviously speaking of what Paul goes on to tell us in verse 51 through 58 that it baffles my mind that your churches don't see this, for he very clearly tells us that the rapture will be the last thing that happens after the tribulation.

Just like Jesus himself said also in Matthew 24:29-31, so you best get ready to deal with what is going to happen on this earth for it is coming on us now very quickly and there will be no pre trib rapture to deliver you out of it either.

Last edited:
for he never actually says that this is a removal from the earth.
2In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?b 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am.

Back