Lutherans Are The Biggest Boozers Among Protestant Christians, Poll Finds

In today's secular U.S. those eighteen year olds can simply claim that they feel like they are twenty-one. :rolleyes:
In some places like NYC where the police don't care, Yes. Maybe your area is like that. In other places, police still give citations for underage drinking.

I also don't see law enforcement on this topic as a secular vs. observant issue. The US 100 years ago was more religious, yet there were quite a few states like New York that had drinking ages of 18 or 19. To give another analogy, society can be much more religious and be lax on tobacco smoking like 100 years ago, or it can be secular and levy much heavier taxes on it, like society is increasingly doing.

In some places like NYC where the police don't care, Yes. Maybe your area is like that. In other places, police still give citations for underage drinking.

I also don't see law enforcement on this topic as a secular vs. observant issue. The US 100 years ago was more religious, yet there were quite a few states like New York that had drinking ages of 18 or 19. To give another analogy, society can be much more religious and be lax on tobacco smoking like 100 years ago, or it can be secular and levy much heavier taxes on it, like society is increasingly doing.
I tend to see secularism in the US today as its own extreme fundamentalist religion.

If America were a German/Scandinavian Lutheran country, the drinking age would be 18. If it were Scandinavian, alcohol sales would be heavily taxed and restricted.

The English have a cultural traditional history of being strict and domineering toward youth relative to other European cultures, the story of Oliver Twist being an example of which there are more recent ones (not to say that all other Europeans have always been nice to kids). American Protestants have a major anti-alcohol movement since the mid or late 19th century. Scandinavians have a cultural history since the late 19th century of being strict toward alcohol, and still do. Germans have a culture and history of beer.

Regards.

nichts geht über ein gutes deutsches Bier!
For those who don't know German, this means "nothing beats a good German beer!" I disagree, as I hate beer, but they do make really good wine.

Last edited:
I used to make my own schnapps. My husband didn't like it, but his mom and sister did. Obviously, they are people of discernment and taste....:) But it is a lot of work so I quit. Plus, I think I was liking it a little TOO much.

In the winter, we enjoy a cup of hot German mulled wine--glueh wein--it is wonderfully refreshing. If anyone would like the recipe, I can put it down in the Cooking/Food forum. :)

One of the ladies at my church makes her own limoncello. I myself make two or three batches of rumtopf (mix together sugar and fruit, cover with rum, and leave it in a cool dark place for a few months) every year. I'm intrigued by the possibility of making my own schnapps, I may give that a try. I've never liked mulled wine, I think it is the taste of the cloves that turns me off.

Yes, I realize your post is four months old, but I've been busy...

One of the ladies at my church makes her own limoncello. I myself make two or three batches of rumtopf (mix together sugar and fruit, cover with rum, and leave it in a cool dark place for a few months) every year. I'm intrigued by the possibility of making my own schnapps, I may give that a try. I've never liked mulled wine, I think it is the taste of the cloves that turns me off.

Yes, I realize your post is four months old, but I've been busy...
Although I've largely given up carbs, I'd cheat for some rum cake or the occasional cheesecake. Another kryptonian weakness for me is dark chocolate. I also still would enjoy Bohemian beer, some lesser sweet wines and I once had a fondness for scotch. Premium sipping whiskeys are very rare treats and all the alcohol I tend to avoid, because of my need for alertness.

Last edited:
Although I've largely given up carbs, I'd cheat for some rum cake or the occasional cheesecake. Another kryptonian weakness for me is dark chocolate. I also still would enjoy Bohemian beer, some lesser sweet wines and I once had a fondness for scotch. Premium sipping whiskeys are very rare treats and all the alcohol I tend to avoid, because of my need for alertness.
So that is why there was a red cape hanging out from under your blazer!

• Haha
Reactions: Nic
Back