Luther's Model Prayer For Pastors

Tertiumquid

But above all a ruler in the church should pray in this manner: “Lord God, Thou hast appointed me in the church as bishop and pastor Thou seest how unfit I am to attend to such a great and difficult office, and if it had not been for Thy help, I would long since have ruined everything. Therefore I call upon Thee. Of course, I want to put my mouth and heart to use. I shall teach the people, and I myself shall learn and shall meditate diligently on Thy Word. Use me as Thy instrument. Only do not forsake me; for if I am alone, I shall easily destroy everything.” [LW 5:122]

Exeter

But above all a ruler in the church should pray in this manner: “Lord God, Thou hast appointed me in the church as bishop and pastor Thou seest how unfit I am to attend to such a great and difficult office, and if it had not been for Thy help, I would long since have ruined everything. Therefore I call upon Thee. Of course, I want to put my mouth and heart to use. I shall teach the people, and I myself shall learn and shall meditate diligently on Thy Word. Use me as Thy instrument. Only do not forsake me; for if I am alone, I shall easily destroy everything.” [LW 5:122]
You would be better praying your own prayer.

RiJoRi

But above all a ruler in the church should pray in this manner: “Lord God, Thou hast appointed me in the church as bishop and pastor. Thou seest how unfit I am to attend to such a great and difficult office, and if it had not been for Thy help, I would long since have ruined everything. Therefore I call upon Thee. Of course, I want to put my mouth and heart to use. I shall teach the people, and I myself shall learn and shall meditate diligently on Thy Word. Use me as Thy instrument. Only do not forsake me; for if I am alone, I shall easily destroy everything.” [LW 5:122]
I see "in this manner" to mean "pray like this", not "pray this prayer".

--Rich

Exeter

The prayer is neither an intermediary or a set prayer. Nor is Luther an intermediary.
I sometimes come across liturgists who are convinced such models are compulsory, along with various incantations and religious repetitions.

BJ Bear

I like the prayer, but I may not have heard it if I was at the lecture. A lot is lost when the lecture is reduced to writing but the leaps he took to get there may have lead me to put on my walking shoes.

Reactions: Nic

Arch Stanton

The 'laying on of hands' is key.

Exeter

Bullseye! One could also add the Psalms, etc.
Aha. Context.

Mat 6:5-8 "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. (6) But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. (7) And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. (8) "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

BJ Bear

Aha. Context.

Mat 6:5-8 "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. (6) But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. (7) And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. (8) "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
Yes, context. There is nothing in your citation of Matt 6 which substantiates your original claim in this thread. On the other hand, the Lord's presentation of a model prayer is a clear indicator that modeled prayers are wholly acceptable to Him.

Exeter

Yes, context. There is nothing in your citation of Matt 6 which substantiates your original claim in this thread. On the other hand, the Lord's presentation of a model prayer is a clear indicator that modeled prayers are wholly acceptable to Him.
What do you think "vain repetitions" refers to?

BJ Bear

His heart was full of pride.
And in what way is he different from those who think that they have swallowed the Holy Spirit, feathers and all?

One twisting of God's word isn't better than another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nic