Luther's Model Prayer For Pastors

Nic

Thanks. I was curious because I found a copy of Lenker online that followed the numbering of a Baker reprint and both Lenker and the Baker used a different sequence of indentification.

Yes, the financial wizards :rolleyes: in charge of the economy aren't doing anything helpful for the American people. CBD or CDB used to advertise or sell the Lenker at a ridiculously low price ($40.00?). I tried twice to order it but they were out of stock both times.

The usual online retailers have had exorbitant prices for a while on what might be considered low volume books. When I first started learning Korean I was going to use a Bible, but the online prices changed my mind. Later, I bought one from a local retailer at about one third the price of the online sources. Go figure.

Thanks.
CBD (Christian Books Distribution, wasn't it? Now I'm not sure.) Have you considered whether or not a used offering might be worth a look?
Thanks!

Bonnie

As I've read Luther over the years, I've found much of the opposite of what you are describing. For instance,

On the other hand, there is a place for repetition within a liturgy. Any church with a hymnbook will at some point sing the same song again (though probably not in the same service). To shrink it down even further, an order of worship in a church service is a positive use of repetition. For those of us who attend church, there is a pattern of how a service is laid out, and this is not a bad thing. To shrink it down even further: the very words of language being used in a church service sometimes repeat, like "praise the Lord" and "amen." To add yet another layer, the Bible itself presents repetition, the Hebrew language is filled with it, as well as the the gospels repeating the same events in the life of Jesus.
Also, most of the liturgy we sing are Bible verses put to music. It is never a bad thing speak or sing the words of tbe Bible.

Last edited:

Tertiumquid

Thanks. I was curious because I found a copy of Lenker online that followed the numbering of a Baker reprint and both Lenker and the Baker used a different sequence of indentification.
Ridiculous tedium alert, begin:

If I recall, there are different Baker reprints. Since I extracted the quote I cited more than a decade ago, I just checked it, and it is where I said it was. The Baker set I'm using for the quote is reprinting The Precious and sacred Writings of Martin Luther, vol. 13 (Minneapolis: Lutherans in All Lands, 1904). The Baker set I'm using put vol 12 and 13 together as one volume. When volume 13 starts at 2:2, the page numbers begin again at page one and correspond to the 1904 printing on page 30.

It looks to me like Baker did another edition in which instead of 2 volumes in one book, they only printed one volume per book, so the quote would be in Volume 4 rather than 2.2 of that edition, and it looks like it's on a different page (19?). If I recall, that Baker edition does not include selections from the House Postil? I don't own that edition, so I'm not sure. I suspect it's 8 volumes, and it may be these offered here.

Ridiculous tedium alert, end.

Reactions: Nic

BJ Bear

CBD (Christian Books Distribution, wasn't it? Now I'm not sure.) Have you considered whether or not a used offering might be worth a look?
Thanks!
It may have been CBD. Apparently, it was too minor an event and too long ago to be sure.

Back then used books were on the radar but since Vroman's was relatively close to my favorite theological used bookstore I usually got sidetracked.

BJ Bear

Ridiculous tedium alert, begin:

If I recall, there are different Baker reprints. Since I extracted the quote I cited more than a decade ago, I just checked it, and it is where I said it was. The Baker set I'm using for the quote is reprinting The Precious and sacred Writings of Martin Luther, vol. 13 (Minneapolis: Lutherans in All Lands, 1904). The Baker set I'm using put vol 12 and 13 together as one volume. When volume 13 starts at 2:2, the page numbers begin again at page one and correspond to the 1904 printing on page 30.

It looks to me like Baker did another edition in which instead of 2 volumes in one book, they only printed one volume per book, so the quote would be in Volume 4 rather than 2.2 of that edition, and it looks like it's on a different page (19?). If I recall, that Baker edition does not include selections from the House Postil? I don't own that edition, so I'm not sure. I suspect it's 8 volumes, and it may be these offered here.

Ridiculous tedium alert, end.
This will be helpful if someone posts another quote from Luther's sermons. Thanks.

Nic

Yes, the financial wizards :rolleyes: in charge of the economy aren't doing anything helpful for the American people. CBD or CDB used to advertise or sell the Lenker at a ridiculously low price ($40.00?). I tried twice to order it but they were out of stock both times.

The usual online retailers have had exorbitant prices for a while on what might be considered low volume books. When I first started learning Korean I was going to use a Bible, but the online prices changed my mind. Later, I bought one from a local retailer at about one third the price of the online sources. Go figure.

Thanks.
You are probably aware of this but it seems CBD is synonymous w/ www<dot>christianbook<dot>com. Catalogs are available for online browsing or PDF download.

Nic

Indeed. It also overlooks a consequence of baptism.
It's a common feature of the likes of adherents of centering prayer. These are found inside and outside of Christian circles. Another word sometimes invoked for this manner is contemplative prayer.

BJ Bear

It's a common feature of the likes of adherents of centering prayer. These are found inside and outside of Christian circles. Another word sometimes invoked for this manner is contemplative prayer.
Is it like that old song about feelin' groovy?