Mad hatter tea party

balshan

As it is school holidays I entertained by granddaughter with a mad hatter tea party. Her brother came alone with her mum. He is too young to understand but enjoyed the food. Grandchildren are such a blessing.

We decorated the table with a mouse, a funny hat etc. Our food was party pies and sausage rolls, finger sandwiches, macaroons, mini strawberry shortcakes and of course scones. She was too young for tea so had orange juice.

We discussed the Alice in Wonderland story and she coloured in some pages from the story of Alice. It was great fun and I hope a memory she will cherish.

What are other fun things to do with young grandchildren on holidays?

When I was little, my grandmother baked her signature waffles for me every time. I love this taste since childhood and still eat them with pleasure, although I am already 29 years old. I took the recipe for her waffles from my grandmother and am now preparing them for my children. However, to simplify the baking process itself, I bought a Chefman electric waffle maker. Now my children eat fresh waffles whenever they want. Yes, and I do not deny myself the pleasure.

balshan

When I was little, my grandmother baked her signature waffles for me every time. I love this taste since childhood and still eat them with pleasure, although I am already 29 years old. I took the recipe for her waffles from my grandmother and am now preparing them for my children. However, to simplify the baking process itself, I bought a Chefman electric waffle maker. Now my children eat fresh waffles whenever they want. Yes, and I do not deny myself the pleasure.
It is amazing how food triggers memories and reconnect us with those we love. I remember my nonna and my nanna. They were wonderful I wish I had learnt to speak my nonna's language, so I could have got her recipes but I think they were in her head. The smell of her food was so fantastic. My nanna was amazing she stayed with us because our parents were not capable. There were 9 children and she was the stability in our family. She used to take me on the train to the theatre. It was very special.

Whateverman

As it is school holidays I entertained by granddaughter with a mad hatter tea party. Her brother came alone with her mum. He is too young to understand but enjoyed the food. Grandchildren are such a blessing.

We decorated the table with a mouse, a funny hat etc. Our food was party pies and sausage rolls, finger sandwiches, macaroons, mini strawberry shortcakes and of course scones. She was too young for tea so had orange juice.

We discussed the Alice in Wonderland story and she coloured in some pages from the story of Alice. It was great fun and I hope a memory she will cherish.

What are other fun things to do with young grandchildren on holidays?
My sister and her husband are home schooling their kids. My nieces are a bit too old to be "young grandchildren" now (ages 10 and 12) - but as a family we've always used any holiday as a chance to celebrate the holiday with a little tradition, and maybe use the food as a platform for some mild education. No one in my immediate family is Christian, but one Easter we made a cake in the shape of the cross and explained why the country celebrates that day. For thanksgiving, we brought out some documentation showing that we had settlers in our family, and made traditional Indian pudding to help explain what the holiday is about, etc.

As this was all being done for the kids, this "education" was never intense; it was supposed to be fun but informative, and the kids made us think we were pretty good at it :)

balshan

My sister and her husband are home schooling their kids. My nieces are a bit too old to be "young grandchildren" now (ages 10 and 12) - but as a family we've always used any holiday as a chance to celebrate the holiday with a little tradition, and maybe use the food as a platform for some mild education. No one in my immediate family is Christian, but one Easter we made a cake in the shape of the cross and explained why the country celebrates that day. For thanksgiving, we brought out some documentation showing that we had settlers in our family, and made traditional Indian pudding to help explain what the holiday is about, etc.

As this was all being done for the kids, this "education" was never intense; it was supposed to be fun but informative, and the kids made us think we were pretty good at it :)
Yes when we get together on a Jewish celebration we do the same as well. Two of our grandchildren are Jewish. We will bring in things as fun and informative. Two of my grandchildren are home schooled.