Marian Prayers--Catholics try to tell us that prayers to Mary are asking her to intercede for us

The Marian prayer in the OP calls Mary "a sure pledge of my eternal salvation". Well, that is what the Bible calls the great Holy Spirit. Why would we ever need another "sure pledge" of our salvation than the great Holy Spirit Himself, Who is God? Can there be a better pledge than God almighty Himself? Why isn't God ever good enough for Catholics?
The only reason someone would want another sure pledge is because they do not trust the first sure pledge. Surely it indicates a lack of trust in the One making the pledge, but trust in the second pledge-maker. ?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Go to M-W to define biblical words. Thats gonna work well. :rolleyes:

One of the verses in question;

2Cor 1:22 and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

A.T. Robertson- Word Pictures in the New Testament;

"The earnest of the Spirit (τον αρραβωνα του πνευματος). . In N.T. only here; 2Cor 5:5; Eph 1:14. It is part payment on the total obligation and we use the very expression today, "earnest money." It is God, says Paul, who has done all this for us and God is Paul's pledge that he is sincere. He will come to Corinth in due time. This earnest of the Spirit in our hearts is the witness of the Spirit that we are God's."

Some translations say pledge, some say earnest others say guarantee. Its a partial payment to be paid in full when our redemption is complete. When you put down earnest money on a house, the house is yours but you don't live in it yet. One day you will. Same thing. We are Gods possession now because we have been ransomed, bought with a price. This is what it means. Mary being a sure pledge is simply blasphemy. One more way catholicism steals the glory from God.
Since when is "a" a Biblical word?

The only reason someone would want another sure pledge is because they do not trust the first sure pledge. Surely it indicates a lack of trust in the One making the pledge, but trust in the second pledge-maker. ?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
This is the inescapable conclusion. They must want another pledge, just in case the HS isn't enough. Or somehow, doesn't work out, eh?

You were arguing for the pledge in general being an open ended thing. Could refer to anyone. Its not what the verse means. Mary is not our pledge. You got the entire context wrong.
I was arguing a poster's use of "a" and "the".
"The" is exclusive.
"A" is one of many.
She was confusing the two.

It is called a "diversionary tactic"--something you and I are all too familiar with, in our years on the Mormon board! :)
No, it is called someone changing the meaning of words in order to make a (invalid) point.
And then when caught call it "diversion".

No, it is called someone changing the meaning of words in order to make a (invalid) point.
And then when caught call it "diversion".
No one changed the meaning of anything. And what we have written here ARE valid points. But what you did IS a diversionary tactic.

Now, how many "sure pledges" do we need to have from God? Can anyone top God Himself, the Holy Spirit, as a "sure pledge"? Does Scripture tell us of a second "sure pledge"?

Last edited:
No one changed the meaning of anything. And what we have written here ARE valid points. But what you did IS a diversionary tactic.

Now, how many "sure deposits" of faith do we need to have from God? Can anyone top God Himself, the Holy Spirit, as a "sure deposit"? Does Scripture tell us of a second "sure deposit"?
It is not diversion to point out a relevant fact.

Now, how many "sure deposits" of faith do we need to have from God? Can anyone top God Himself, the Holy Spirit, as a "sure deposit"? Does Scripture tell us of a second "sure deposit"?
Where in that prayer did it say "sure deposit of faith"?
I read it. It doesn't.

Where in that prayer did it say "sure deposit of faith"?
I read it. It doesn't.
I goofed; I meant a sure pledge of our salvation. I was thinking of that other thread and conflated "deposit of faith" with "sure pledge." I will change my post on this one. Thanks for pointing out my error. The two words are similar in meaning though, in this context.

It is not diversion to point out a relevant fact.
It isn't relevant. HOW many pledges for our salvation do we need? Can anyone be a better pledge of our salvation than GOD HIMSELF, the HOLY SPIRIT? Is Mary mightier than God? Can she do what God cannot? IF you say "no" to the last two questions, then we don't need Mary to be a pledge of our salvation--do we? NOT when we have God HIMSELF as that pledge!

It isn't relevant. HOW many pledges for our salvation do we need? Can anyone be a better pledge of our salvation than GOD HIMSELF, the HOLY SPIRIT? Is Mary mightier than God? Can she do what God cannot? IF you say "no" to the last two questions, then we don't need Mary to be a pledge of our salvation--do we? NOT when we have God HIMSELF as that pledge!
Especially since the pledge spoken of in the n.t. is a down payment for something purchased. A guarantee by God that what he has purchased will one day be delivered. Our final glorification in heaven. Can Mary pledge that? If catholics think she can then she is god. Or a goddess.

Especially since the pledge spoken of in the n.t. is a down payment for something purchased. A guarantee by God that what he has purchased will one day be delivered. Our final glorification in heaven. Can Mary pledge that? If catholics think she can then she is god. Or a goddess.
Good point! God purchased us by the blood of His one and Only Son. We get the "down payment" so to speak, on that purchase that guarantees us eternal life in heaven after death with the indwelling HS. Can Mary deliver on that guarantee?

Back