Mark E. Peterson, Mormon Apostle

So you disagree with your LDS leader ?
I already answered that question. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. On the subject of judging God's intelligence and power, one would have to have at least as much of both as God has. Maybe to them, they could see how God is advancing, but I hardly think it is possible that we could see that.

The problem with the philosophy is based on the idea of eternal progression. God is advancing but in what area is he advancing? Some people speculate (because that's all we can really do. No one actually knows and God hasn't just come out and told us, "I am gaining new knowledge and power every day") that He can't possibly know everything so he must still be learning. It's not possible for anyone to know everything and that could be believable to some people. On the other hand, some people speculate that if it were possible that God was still learning that He might one day learn something that would undo or cause God to change His course which would have dire consequences to all of His creations. He might discover that all this that has been done is all wrong, so wipe it out and start over. We couldn't really trust the promises of such a being, could we?

I tend to believe that God knows everything and has all power. I agree with McConkie on this matter, one of the few things that I do agree with him on. But the reasoning behind the speculation is very supportive. Does God know enough to save us in His kingdom? I believe he does. I believe he knows more that everyone together. Our scriptures say as much, so if I were to stand on scripture, I would have to say that Wilford Woodruff got that one wrong.

I could go on. There is a lot more material that could be examined, concepts that our critics can't possibly grasp because they have no depth. Their understanding of the gospel is very two-dimensional.

I already answered that question. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. On the subject of judging God's intelligence and power, one would have to have at least as much of both as God has. Maybe to them, they could see how God is advancing, but I hardly think it is possible that we could see that.

The problem with the philosophy is based on the idea of eternal progression. God is advancing but in what area is he advancing? Some people speculate (because that's all we can really do. No one actually knows and God hasn't just come out and told us, "I am gaining new knowledge and power every day") that He can't possibly know everything so he must still be learning. It's not possible for anyone to know everything and that could be believable to some people. On the other hand, some people speculate that if it were possible that God was still learning that He might one day learn something that would undo or cause God to change His course which would have dire consequences to all of His creations. He might discover that all this that has been done is all wrong, so wipe it out and start over. We couldn't really trust the promises of such a being, could we?

I tend to believe that God knows everything and has all power. I agree with McConkie on this matter, one of the few things that I do agree with him on. But the reasoning behind the speculation is very supportive. Does God know enough to save us in His kingdom? I believe he does. I believe he knows more that everyone together. Our scriptures say as much, so if I were to stand on scripture, I would have to say that Wilford Woodruff got that one wrong.

I could go on. There is a lot more material that could be examined, concepts that our critics can't possibly grasp because they have no depth. Their understanding of the gospel is very two-dimensional.
Which means you disagree with your Prophet Wilford Woodruff :) :) :)

God himself is increasing and progressing in knowledge, power, and dominion, and will do so, worlds without end." Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses Vol. 6:120

Back