Massachusetts ban new gas cars by 2035 good/ bad/ does not matter? What do you think?

Whateverman

I live in MA. I own a VW GTI, a more powerful version of the Golf/Rabbit, and I absolutely love it. It's 201HP, only takes premium gas, and gets about 30mpg. Fantastic car, a little sleeper.

I'll give it up. What the heck, the e-cars sound like fun. VW already has the e-Golf, and as long as I can use something that will fit all my gear (drummer/hiker/camper) and be fun, I'm ready for whatever.

Temujin

I live in MA. I own a VW GTI, a more powerful version of the Golf/Rabbit, and I absolutely love it. It's 201HP, only takes premium gas, and gets about 30mpg. Fantastic car, a little sleeper.

I'll give it up. What the heck, the e-cars sound like fun. VW already has the e-Golf, and as long as I can use something that will fit all my gear (drummer/hiker/camper) and be fun, I'm ready for whatever.
My first car was a mark 1 Golf gti. What a fabulous car that was! That was in the early 80s. As you say, some of the new electric vehicles look fun too.

Whateverman

My first car was a mark 1 Golf gti. What a fabulous car that was! That was in the early 80s. As you say, some of the new electric vehicles look fun too.
Ahh the mark1! I saw one not too long ago, at a public car enthusiasts event.

My parents bought a red Rabbit back in the mid 70s, which was right around the time the GTI appeared here in the US. I was too young to remember it, but I remember when one day the car was gone - because kids had put sugar in the gas tank. Destroyed the engine...

The e-Golf is pretty spiffy. Expensive (as are all VWs in the US), but very nice. One of my friends owns one...

Authentic Nouveau

Snake oil salesmen claiming they have a key to lowering "greenhouse gases" are worse than the old used car salesmen.

Number one "greenhouse gas" is water vapor. The liberals jumping on this thread are just not into science.
We own electric powered transportation and the ranges are limited. The ranges fall extremely in cold weather. Heater and A/C draw a lot of power.

My source is a EE with a PhD in power systems. Finishing a text book

. CO2 is plant food.

This is a political movement.

Authentic Nouveau

I see a benefit for more electric cars in Mass. The State is small and the average trip is very short. Having said that, The Big Dig is a a wonderful example of Gubment doing things, messing up and wasting BILLIONS.

The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the US, and was plagued by cost overruns, delays, leaks, design flaws, charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials, criminal arrests, and the death of one motorist.

Acela Corridor another mega billion dollar money pit. Big money pit. Except for the money Alstom invested in my company for train development.​

Authentic Nouveau

Your mom's car? When I was a college sophomore I bought a new Karmann Ghia convertible, 36 miles per gallon. Did better than Beetles.

Authentic Nouveau

I saw a post somewhere on an article that claimed there was 5 times more materials that had to be processed to produce an electric car. Iow, the carbon footprint was far greater.
Also, with more demand on electricity will come a demand for more power stations that in turn produce more pollution.
A catch 22.
1,450 tons of coal mined and hauled by trains to steel mills to make the steel for one large tower and the rebar in the base/pad. A few thousand tons of iron ore hauled by rail. 100 load of concrete. Dehydrating gypsum to make cement takes thousands of cubic feet of natural gas. The 55 ton nacelle is made of fiber and plastic which comes from crude. The blades also plastic and glass. E-cars have a lot of plastic from crude oil.