Matthew 6:9 does not forbid praying to the Lord Jesus

Matthew 6:9
Pray, then, in this way: Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. (NASB)

Praying to the Lord of the harvest in reference to Jesus.

Within the same book Matthew teaches that the Lord Jesus is "the Lord of the harvest" in Matthew 9:38 which demonstrates the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer. This is another example (among several) that Matthew 6:9 does not teach that only the Father is the proper recipient of prayer.

The responsibility of sending out believers is employed several times by Matthew in reference to the Lord Jesus.
Matthew 9:38
Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.

These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans. (10:5)

Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves. (10:16)

Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city (23:34)

The last passage mentioned also refers to a future sending of Christians after the death of Jesus (such as Stephen in Acts 6-7) which would mean He is still sending them and therefore He is to be besought (prayed to) for this very purpose.

It is important to also note that within the same conversation with His disciples Jesus makes clear that the Lord of the harvest is to be feared because of the terrifying judgement He is able to render unto the unsaved.
Matthew 10:28
Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew later informs us this judgment by the Lord of the harvest is in reference to the Lord Jesus (cf. Matthew 25:31).
Matthew 25:41
Then He will also say to those on His left, Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.

Back