Meat, Mortal sins, and Lenten Fridays

The people of Nineveh were forced to fast by their king. Was God pleased or displeased?

But the rcc disobey's God, when it made mary an intercessor and a god for rcc's to pray to and seek help and succor from. Instead of relying totally on God. And please don't tell me rc's do not worship mary. The exact same words and actions given to God are duplicated to mary.

Isaiah 42:8
“I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another.

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior.

Isaiah 44:6
Thus says the LORD, the King and Redeemer of Israel, the LORD of Hosts: "I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God but Me.

Luke 4:8
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.

But the rcc disobey's God, when it made mary an intercessor and a god for rcc's to pray to and seek help and succor from. Instead of relying totally on God. And please don't tell me rc's do not worship mary. The exact same words and actions given to God are duplicated to mary.

Isaiah 42:8
“I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another.

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior.

Isaiah 44:6
Thus says the LORD, the King and Redeemer of Israel, the LORD of Hosts: "I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God but Me.

Luke 4:8
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.
Off topic.

Again, was God pleased or displeased by the "forced fast" of the people of Nineveh?

Again, was God pleased or displeased by the "forced fast" of the people of Nineveh?

God did not relent because of their fast. He relented because they changed their ways.

"Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it."

How you missed this, I don't know.

You're so big on force and coercion you never bothered to read the explanation the Holy Spirit gave you!

God did not relent because of their fast. He relented because they changed their ways.

"Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it."

How you missed this, I don't know.

You're so big on force and coercion you never bothered to read the explanation the Holy Spirit gave you!
Then God saw their works...

How did you miss that?

"that they turned from their evil way"

You are even told the works the Lord was referring to, but Catholics refuse to listen to the Word of God. They are too obsessed with force, lording over the brethren, and coercion.
Oh, so is repenting now a work? How interesting.

They did not merely have a change of mind. They had a change of behavior and deeds.

Nothing to do with anyone being forced to fast. I know the idea has you salivating. Devout Catholics admit to me regularly they would not even go to their Mass unless they were forced. Your entire religion revolves around threats.
Change of mind precedes change of behavior. And behavior is a reflection of how one thinks.
Are you are saying that Nineveh being spared had nothing to do with fasting and wearing sackcloth?

I am saying God spared them because they changed their ways....not because anyone forced anyone to fast.

Catholics are coerced into fasting, and I know many who never change their ways.
They had a forced fast. God was pleased with what He saw.
If fasts are worthless, why did Jesus fast?

Mark 2:20 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast.

why did Jesus fast?

Jesus did NOT fast. And while He was with the disciples, they did not fast.

Matthew 11:19
The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at this glutton and drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is vindicated by her actions.”

The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at this glutton and drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is vindicated by her actions.”
He did in the wilderness, after His baptism, but I presume you mean afterwards. If so, I would agree with you. :)

Are you suggesting fasting was eliminated by Jesus? There is copious evidence that fasting continued as a discipline in the early Church.

Didache

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Matthew 28:19 in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whatever others can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

Chapter 8. Concerning Fasting and Prayer (the Lord's Prayer)

But let not your fasts be with the hypocrites; Matthew 6:16 for they fast on the second and fifth day of the week; but fast on the fourth day and the Preparation (Friday). Neither pray as the hypocrites; but as the Lord commanded in His Gospel, thus pray: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. Give us today our daily (needful) bread, and forgive us our debt as we also forgive our debtors. And bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one (or, evil); for Yours is the power and the glory forever. Thrice in the day thus pray.

The first of St Basil's Lenten homilies on fasting. Here.

Are you suggesting fasting was eliminated by Jesus? There is copious evidence that fasting continued as a discipline in the early Church.

How quick you are to twist what other people say. Where in my post did I say fasting was eliminated? I said NOTHING of the sort. Fasting is NOT commanded of believers and neither is it forbidden. The only time Jesus fasted is when He was led into the wilderness, the rest of His mission, He and His disciples did NOT fast. No non-rc in this forum has even suggested fasting was eliminated. And I could care less what the didache and st basil said about fasting.

How quick you are to twist what other people say. Where in my post did I say fasting was eliminated? I said NOTHING of the sort. Fasting is NOT commanded of believers and neither is it forbidden. The only time Jesus fasted is when He was led into the wilderness, the rest of His mission, He and His disciples did NOT fast. No non-rc in this forum has even suggested fasting was eliminated. And I could care less what the didache and st basil said about fasting.
Why then are you making an issue of the Catholic practice of fasting during Lent if it isn't forbidden?

Why then are you making an issue of the Catholic practice of fasting during Lent if it isn't forbidden?

This is a apologetics discussion board, anyone can post as many times in any thread as they see fit to do so. There is no carm rule that says a poster may only post once. You made a claim I said something I didn't say, and neither did any other non-rc say.... now your trying to backpedal. No body said fasting was forbidden. Pilgrim asked a question, I posted a reply to that question. I never said anything about fasting being eliminated or forbidden.

Back