Meat, Mortal sins, and Lenten Fridays

Do Roman Catholics teach and believe that if they hunger and thirst for righteousness from their heart, that by fasting during Lent it will make them holy and their prayers heard?

RC's teach- from what I've heard- that failure to fast during Lenten Fridays without a dispensation for St. Paddy's Day is a mortal sin. I don't think its anything really deeper.

Do Roman Catholics teach and believe that if they hunger and thirst for righteousness from their heart, that by fasting during Lent it will make them holy and their prayers heard?
“Fasting cleanses the soul, raises the mind, subjects one’s flesh to the spirit, renders the heart contrite and humble, and scatters the clouds of concupiscence” (Richards, 4). St Augustine.

“Fasting cleanses the soul, raises the mind, subjects one’s flesh to the spirit, renders the heart contrite and humble, and scatters the clouds of concupiscence” (Richards, 4). St Augustine.
I hated Catholic fasting season when there were over 2 hours to wait for a table for fish fries because of Catholics fasting and the bar was packed with Catholics fasting over an adult beverages.

I hated Catholic fasting season when there were over 2 hours to wait for a table for fish fries because of Catholics fasting and the bar was packed with Catholics fasting over an adult beverages.
Unfortunately you were following a secular imitation of the Lenten fast.

No they were faithful Catholics fasting pigging out on fish and beer proud they abstained from meat. Didn't have the heart to tell them that eating fish was eating meat.
The nature of Christian fasting is not proud public 'pigging out'. You aren't going to see the authentic fasting as it isn't public. What you are referencing isn't the Catholic tradition.

The law of fasting, ecclesiastical in its genius, is unwritten in its origin, and consequently must be understood and applied with due regard for the customs of various times and places. FAST
Is this yet another one of those "unwritten" laws of the Roman Catholic Church - just like their claim that their "Sacred Tradition" is the "unwritten" word of God which the prophets and apostles received through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and, under His guidance, the Church has handed on to the Roman Catholic world?

Is this yet another one of those "unwritten" laws of the Roman Catholic Church - just like their claim that their "Sacred Tradition" is the "unwritten" word of God which the prophets and apostles received through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and, under His guidance, the Church has handed on to the Roman Catholic world?
I always find it annoying when people say there are no rules but deep down have these unwritten rules, which I was sure to break. They are a joke, a myth.

I always find it annoying when people say there are no rules but deep down have these unwritten rules, which I was sure to break. They are a joke, a myth.
Amen balshan! Jesus Christ found the unwritten rules and teachings annoying also and overall this sums up His evaluation:

1. Roman Catholicism teaches as doctrines the precepts of men.

2. Roman Catholicism boldly neglects, and/ or sets aside the commandments of God, yet holds on to and keeps their own "Traditions" of man.

3. The Church of Roman Catholicism invalidates the Word of God by their traditions which have been 'handed down' to them, and they in turn will hand down Roman Catholic traditions down also.

Ooh!! funny joke!!! Tell us another!!!
They must have forgotten how they evangelized the Jewish people and those in Sth America for a start, all approved of by the RCC hierarchy.

The Spanish monarchy embraced the evangelization of the Americas. Priests often accompanied conquistadors or were dispatched to convert the recently conquered. To recognize the monarchy’s efforts and spur evangelization, Pope Julius II granted the crown the patronato real, or royal patronage, in 1508. This gave the crown the right to nominate all bishops and priests in its American territories, effectively giving Spanish monarchs unparalleled civil authority over the American church. Initially the Spanish crown sent Franciscan, Dominican, and Augustinian friars to missionize the Americas. After the Spanish colonies were more firmly established and more Spaniards had immigrated, the crown appointed bishops to administer newly created dioceses and sent more priests as parishes multiplied.

Spanish Catholics labored in missionary fields that eventually stretched from Texas and California in the north to Chile and Argentina in the south. Many priests lived in indigenous towns and villages, learned indigenous languages, taught the catechism, performed the sacraments, and preached to their flocks. They also destroyed indigenous temples, desecrated indigenous religious images, burned indigenous codices, and harried indigenous priests and shamans, believing the devil had inspired indigenous religions.

All the while they monitored their charges and meted out punishments for religious infractions. Although a few priests denounced conversion through force, most early modern Spaniards were steeped in the history of the long Christian reconquest of the Iberian Peninsula from the Moors—only completed in January 1492— and they naturally combined coercion and faith.

Interesting article about RC anti semitism by an RC:

Catholics, myself included, who truly wish for a reconciliation with Jews must go much further than just repenting for the Holocaust. Before going to confession, a Roman Catholic is supposed to undertake an “examination of conscience” — a thorough consideration of one’s past sins. The time has come for the Catholic Church to examine its collective conscience.

Catholic anti-Semitism began long before the twentieth century. For centuries, Catholics persecuted Jews, crowding them into ghettos, forcing them to convert to Christianity, and frequently killing them. For centuries, Catholics accused Jews of ritually murdering Christian children, engaging in sorcery, poisoning wells and desecrating images of Christ. For centuries, Catholics were taught that Jews — all Jews — were cursed because they had killed Christ, a position that was not officially condemned until 1965.
from origins OSU.edu

So much is written on the forced conversions by the RCC approved invasions etc. This included many being put to death.

Hahahaha.

I remember all that nonsense. We all knew it was a huge fraud.

Lobster platter? OK!
A humble baloney sandwich? Mortal sin!

LOL.

Not even most Catholics believe God was behind this. Dead religion is so obvious.
Slow day in the office, eh, sensei?

Instead of the usual trip to Red Lobster, in your honor, we’ll steam our own crab legs and make our own cheddar biscuits from a mix. Well even use generic butter!

Hahahaha.

I remember all that nonsense. We all knew it was a huge fraud.

Lobster platter? OK!
A humble baloney sandwich? Mortal sin!

LOL.

Not even most Catholics believe God was behind this. Dead religion is so obvious.
Slow day in the office, eh, sensei?

Hey Seraphim! It is so good to talk to you after so long.

I was about to ask you the same thing, but I am glad I am your first post after being away this much time. But you took that slow day and spent part of it posting a reply to me...so I am humbled.

Instead of the usual trip to Red Lobster, in your honor, we’ll steam our own crab legs and make our own cheddar biscuits from a mix. Well even use generic butter!

Sure. Any charade of "abstinence" or a "fast" looks best. All super spiritual!

Back