"Medical News Today"

Janice Bower

According to the National Kidney Foundation, fruits that may be beneficial for kidney health include pomegranates, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, cherries, apples, and citrus fruits.

Foods that may help boost kidney health include low-phosphorus cheese, fish, root vegetables, broccoli, beans, seeds, nuts, leafy greens, whole grains, herbs, eggs, and shellfish.

According to the National Kidney Foundation, fruits that may be beneficial for kidney health include pomegranates, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, cherries, apples, and citrus fruits.

Foods that may help boost kidney health include low-phosphorus cheese, fish, root vegetables, broccoli, beans, seeds, nuts, leafy greens, whole grains, herbs, eggs, and shellfish.
What cheese is low-phosphorous? We eat a lot of berries.

Cheese varieties with less than 100 mg of phosphorus per serving include:
  • Brie (1 oz)
  • Camembert (1 oz)
  • Cream cheese (2 Tbsp)
  • Feta (1 oz)
  • Fontina (1 oz)
  • Goat (soft, 1 oz)
  • Neufchatel (1 oz)
  • Sharp cheddar (2/3 oz)

All cheese contains phosphorus with most having 120-250 mg per ounce; some contain more than 300 mg per ounce. The suggested portion for a dialysis diet is usually one ounce of cheese, one to two times a week if phosphorus is controlled. Check with your dietitian for individual recommendations.
davita.com

My paternal grandfather and great-grandfather died of kidney disease. I have no clue about their diets. Granddaddy died when my father was a little boy. I blamed his death on military service in WWI until I learned that his father suffered the same disease.

Back