Meditation

Find your local Buddhist group who will almost certainly offer meditation classes.

The usual starting point is Counting Breaths. Breathe normally and count ten breaths. If you lose count, start again at one. If you count beyond ten, stop and start again at one. If you're not sure what to do next, start again at one. Do up to twenty minutes in the morning and twenty minutes in the evening.

For a Christian equivalent try Saying the Jesus Prayer.

The point of meditation is to do it, rather than talk about it.

For me, meditation is calming, it helps me concentrate on what is important. It helps me deal with how things are, rather than how I would like them to be. More advanced meditations examine what we are actually sensing as opposed to what our brains have overlaid onto the incoming raw sensations. For example, an arachnophobe would get a lot of fear added to the raw sensation of a spider. The spider is real and external. The fear is internally generated and does not exist in the external world. Some meditations can help separate the two.

The Christian equivalent would be a different type of meditation which is simply thinking deeply about, a certain teaching in the scriptures and God, which is calming and helps focus the believer on what is important. It begins with acknowledging God and inviting him in during the meditation.
Along with that, I can see how breathing would be important.

In your meditations, are you ever confronted with intrusive thoughts or emotions?

In your meditations, are you ever confronted with intrusive thoughts or emotions?
Yes. The mind likes to wander and all sorts of things intrude, as do external things such as noise. Make a mental note of them and then drop them.

The standard Theravada practice is to note the feeling (pleasant, unpleasant, neutral) the source (eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind) and to watch for greed, hatred and delusion as appropriate. For example, if you notice you've drifted into a nice memory, the response is "Pleasant sensation due to mind contact. Beware greed." Then return to what you were doing before you drifted, leaving the distraction in the past.

HTH

Find your local Buddhist group who will almost certainly offer meditation classes.

The usual starting point is Counting Breaths. Breathe normally and count ten breaths. If you lose count, start again at one. If you count beyond ten, stop and start again at one. If you're not sure what to do next, start again at one. Do up to twenty minutes in the morning and twenty minutes in the evening.

For me, meditation is calming, it helps me concentrate on what is important. It helps me deal with how things are, rather than how I would like them to be. More advanced meditations examine what we are actually sensing as opposed to what our brains have overlaid onto the incoming raw sensations. For example, an arachnophobe would get a lot of fear added to the raw sensation of a spider. The spider is real and external. The fear is internally generated and does not exist in the external world. Some meditations can help separate the two.
My favorite story about the power of meditation came from Thailand several years back where a group of Thai boys got trapped in a flooded cave (there is a movie about it). They were in pitch darkness for a long time with no hope of surviving and the coach led them to meditate. It calmed them down at a time when most people would have panicked. I can imagine how terrifying their situation must have been but they all survived.

Are you praying to someone/something? What is the purpose of breathing 10 times?
So breathing is praying?
What is the 'point' of doing it?
For me, meditation is calming, it helps me concentrate on what is important.
What is important?
It helps me deal with how things are, rather than how I would like them to be.
You mean like life?
More advanced meditations examine what we are actually sensing as opposed to what our brains have overlaid onto the incoming raw sensations.
?????
For example, an arachnophobe would get a lot of fear added to the raw sensation of a spider. The spider is real and external. The fear is internally generated and does not exist in the external world.
Of course fear exists in the real world.
Some meditations can help separate the two.
Separate the real feeling of fear from the real world?

Are you praying to someone/something?
No. You are training your own mind.

What is the purpose of breathing 10 times?
Counting breaths is a starting exercise, a bit like an athlete warming up on the track before competing. It is a way of training the mind for the more difficult meditations to come. It is a good starting exercise because it is so simple.

What is the 'point' of doing it?
To train the mind. It will need that training further along the path.

What is important?
To follow the path to the cessation of suffering.

No. You are training your own mind.
Praying is training your mind? You said it was praying the Jesus prayer. (whatever that means) So is it like praying or not? Praying to what or who?
Counting breaths is a starting exercise,
How so?
a bit like an athlete warming up on the track before competing. It is a way of training the mind for the more difficult meditations to come. It is a good starting exercise because it is so simple.
Breathing is training the mind? How? What is the 'more difficult' meditations?
Breathing ten times is simple, so can it be training. People breathe and count everyday, it's not called meditation.
To train the mind.
How does counting ten breaths 'train the mind'? Breathing ten times is simple, so can it be training. People breathe and count everyday, it's not called meditation.
It will need that training further along the path.
You have to breathe and count to ten to move along the 'path'? Doesn't make sense.
To follow the path to the cessation of suffering.
And this 'path' begins with breathing ten times? And then what?
Suffering will never cease while you are alive. We all will/do suffer in some fashion mentally, physically or both. Just need to learn to cope with it.

Well. Thanks for answering. Answers were vague. You never responded to some of my other responses. Still have no clue what you are talking about or trying to accomplish. Sorry.

Phil 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Praying is training your mind?
Meditation is training the mind. There are many types of meditation and some take the form of prayer. In Christianity, the denominations that still have monks and nuns: Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic etc. have meditative prayers. The Jesus Prayer is one such, as is the Catholic rosary.

Breathing is training the mind? How? What is the 'more difficult' meditations?
Learn to walk before you can run. Count ten breaths five times. See if you can keep your mind focused on the task. Start again at one if you drift off, lose count or count beyond ten. When you can regularly stay focused for fifteen minutes then you are ready for the more difficult meditations.

Breathing ten times is simple, so can it be training.
Have you tried it? It is not as simple as it sounds. The untrained mind wants to drift, it gets bored, it loses focus and looks for something to distract itself. When that happens, and it will, then pull your mind back to the task at hand and start counting again at one.

How does counting ten breaths 'train the mind'? Breathing ten times is simple, so can it be training.
Count ten breaths. Then count ten more, starting again at one. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Continue for ten or fifteen minutes. It is not as simple as you think. The training is to keep your mind focused on the task.

And this 'path' begins with breathing ten times? And then what?
The path has eight practices, of which meditation is just one: right view, right resolve, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right meditation. Counting breaths is training for the last two: right mindfulness, and right meditation. There are many websites that explain the path.

Suffering will never cease while you are alive. We all will/do suffer in some fashion mentally, physically or both. Just need to learn to cope with it.
The Buddhist technique is more to detach from suffering, and finally to eliminate it.

Meditation is training the mind. There are many types of meditation and some take the form of prayer. In Christianity, the denominations that still have monks and nuns: Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic etc. have meditative prayers. The Jesus Prayer is one such, as is the Catholic rosary.
Meditation is NOT prayer. Prayer is not training the mind. Prayer is to someone, not about oneself.
Learn to walk before you can run. Count ten breaths five times. See if you can keep your mind focused on the task. Start again at one if you drift off, lose count or count beyond ten. When you can regularly stay focused for fifteen minutes then you are ready for the more difficult meditations.
I tried no problem. Why would I waste 15 minutes doing this?
Have you tried it? It is not as simple as it sounds.
I have. It is.
The untrained mind wants to drift, it gets bored, it loses focus and looks for something to distract itself.
Sounds like today's youth and young adults.
When that happens, and it will, then pull your mind back to the task at hand and start counting again at one.
Still haven't given a reason to do this.
Count ten breaths. Then count ten more, starting again at one. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Continue for ten or fifteen minutes. It is not as simple as you think. The training is to keep your mind focused on the task.
Really?? People can't do this?
The path has eight practices, of which meditation is just one: right view, right resolve, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right meditation. Counting breaths is training for the last two: right mindfulness, and right meditation. There are many websites that explain the path.
For what purpose? The path?
The Buddhist technique
Why would you follow this technique for life?
is more to detach from suffering,
You mean detach from life? Become a hermit? Suffering is part of life.
Eight 'practices' on the buddha path just to 'detach' from suffering (part of life)?
Who/what is buddha that you should give your life to follow it's teachings?
and finally to eliminate it.
Good luck with that.

For what purpose? The path?
To end suffering.

Why would you follow this technique for life?
Because I do not like suffering.

Suffering is part of life.
For most people, yes. For those few who have travelled the path, no.

Who/what is buddha that you should give your life to follow it's teachings?
The Buddha was a man who reached enlightenment and eliminated suffering. What one man could do, other men can, and have, done.

To end suffering.
Whose suffering?
Because I do not like suffering.
I'm pretty sure not many people do.
For most people, yes. For those few who have travelled the path, no.
The few? How did they end suffering? How does/did the 'path' end suffering? Whose suffering?
The Buddha was a man who reached enlightenment and eliminated suffering.
What is enlightenment? How did buddha eliminate suffering? Whose suffering?
What one man could do,
How and whose suffering did he eliminate?
other men can, and have, done.
Who are these men who eliminated suffering? How did they eliminate suffering? Whose suffering?

Whose suffering?
Mine. I cannot do that for you, you have to do it for yourself.

How did they end suffering?
They followed the path to the cessation of suffering. See the Four Noble Truths.

How does/did the 'path' end suffering?
By stopping the cause of suffering. Again see the Four Noble Truths: Suffering, Origin, Cessation and Path.

What is enlightenment?
Follow the path and find out. As I have said, and you seem to agree, it is not something that can be explained in words.

How did buddha eliminate suffering? Whose suffering?
He rediscovered the path and followed it himself. By explaining the path before he died, he enabled many others to follow the path and also eliminate suffering.

Mine. I cannot do that for you, you have to do it for yourself.

They followed the path to the cessation of suffering. See the Four Noble Truths.

By stopping the cause of suffering. Again see the Four Noble Truths: Suffering, Origin, Cessation and Path.

Follow the path and find out. As I have said, and you seem to agree, it is not something that can be explained in words.

He rediscovered the path and followed it himself. By explaining the path before he died, he enabled many others to follow the path and also eliminate suffering.
This is it? Buddha 'rediscovered the path' to deal with suffering? When was it hidden, lost? This is common sense
Hmmm...let's see. I've been doing this since I was a child right into adulthood. No one had to teach me. It's common sense.
If something/someone (origin) is causing me to suffer (suffering), stop it (if you can, deal with it if you can't) = path
That's not hard at all. Most people handle suffering this way.
Are you telling me people practice this (buddha stuff) their whole lives and only few a (that's what you said) figured this out? Amazing!

This is it? Buddha 'rediscovered the path' to deal with suffering?
Yes. Read a life of the Buddha for details.

When was it hidden, lost?
A few thousand years after the death of the previous Buddha. The religion dies out over time, and is then refounded when a new Buddha achieves enlightenment. You have evidently not studied the background of Buddhism.

Yes. Read a life of the Buddha for details.
Nah. I've already figured out this life and suffering.
A few thousand years after the death of the previous Buddha. The religion dies out over time,
That's cause the cult leader died.
and is then refounded when
When a new cult leader emerges.
a new Buddha achieves enlightenment.
How do you know this man achieved enlightenment? You don't even know what that means.
You have evidently not studied the background of Buddhism.
No need to. I've already figured out this life and suffering.

I notice you pick and choose and only respond (and very vaguely) to only some of my questions and responses. Tells me quite a bit about you.

I also wrote this FACT you didn't respond to:
This is common sense
Hmmm...let's see. I've been doing this since I was a child right into adulthood. No one had to teach me. It's common sense.
If something/someone (origin) is causing me to suffer (suffering), stop it (if you can, deal with it if you can't) = path
That's not hard at all. Most people handle suffering this way.
Are you telling me people practice this (buddha stuff) their whole lives and only few a (that's what you said) figured this out? Amazing!

I care about your soul. You are heading off a cliff and I am warning you. John 3:16. Acts 13:19-20. Luke 13:25-28
Buddhism is not an Abrahamic religion. One of its distinctive characteristics is the recognition that the idea of a 'soul' is an illusion, just as the 'water' in a mirage.

"All the elements of reality are soulless."​
When one realises this by wisdom,​
then one does not heed ill.​
This is the Path of Purity.​
– Dhammapada 20:7​

Back