Meditation

Buddhism is not an Abrahamic religion. One of its distinctive characteristics is the recognition that the idea of a 'soul' is an illusion, just as the 'water' in a mirage.

"All the elements of reality are soulless."​
When one realises this by wisdom,​
then one does not heed ill.​
This is the Path of Purity.​
– Dhammapada 20:7​
Yep, keep telling yourself that.
Reality will hit you when you die and YOU WILL BE 'ENLIGHTENED' ON THAT DAY.. Unfortunately, it will be too late to repent of your sins and blasphemy of your Creator God. You will deserve the condemnation that will come. Luke 13:25-28 Repent

This lazy man. buddha, just made stuff up to avoid living life and sucked in a bunch of people thinking he was wise. He is dead and living in eternal damnation. Don't follow him there. His 'path' leads to destruction.

Matthew 7:13 - 'Enter through the narrow gate (Christ); for the gate (buddha, joe smith, etc.) is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.

I used to practice meditation. For a long time too. It led to a dead end. It's also extremely dangerous in many ways. People into New Age, Buddhism and Hinduism are lost spiritually and they need help to be able to see that. I don't condemn them, in many ways they are sincere. But the fact remains from a Christian viewpoint that they are deluded. I would encourage them to research the dangers of meditation and read books from a Christian point of view about that subject. If it plants a spiritual seed then God will take care of them at some point. Of course, if they are atheists who don't believe God exists, and they are Buddhists for example, they aren't helping themselves make a great deal of sense where it comes to the supernatural, since they deny the ultimate source of the supernatural but engage in other forms of it at the same time, which is clearly irrational.

But the fact remains from a Christian viewpoint that they are deluded.
From the Buddhist point of view, Christianity is a mixture. Some denominations have forms of meditation, such as Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox. I suspect this is related to the fact that both have retained monasticism, which many Protestant denominations have dropped.

The Buddha divided other religions into useful and not-useful. Useful religions tell us that actions have consequences, and so many Christian denominations are useful in that sense. The not-useful religions say that actions do not have consequences. Hence some extreme Calvinist denominations are not-useful because nothing you can do can affect your destination after death.

There is a lot of similarity in morality between the two: you shall not steal is common to both religions for example.

From the Buddhist point of view, Christianity is a mixture. Some denominations have forms of meditation, such as Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox. I suspect this is related to the fact that both have retained monasticism, which many Protestant denominations have dropped.

The Buddha divided other religions into useful and not-useful. Useful religions tell us that actions have consequences, and so many Christian denominations are useful in that sense. The not-useful religions say that actions do not have consequences. Hence some extreme Calvinist denominations are not-useful because nothing you can do can affect your destination after death.

There is a lot of similarity in morality between the two: you shall not steal is common to both religions for example.
That would be incorrect though, since the earliest Christians were not monastics. The Reformers or "Protestants" simply returned to the pre-Monastic Christian church.

Were you once a Christian?

That would be incorrect though, since the earliest Christians were not monastics. The Reformers or "Protestants" simply returned to the pre-Monastic Christian church.
The Reformers returned to their ideas of what the early Church was. I am sure that Eastern Orthodox and Catholic theologians can supply many counter-arguments to your position.

Were you once a Christian?
Yes. I had problems with a God who is jealous, angry and kills far too many people: "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." I do not respect a God who orders babies killed, and how many of those slaughtered women were pregnant?

You are at liberty to read through Buddhist scriptures and count up how many people the Buddha kills.

The Reformers returned to their ideas of what the early Church was. I am sure that Eastern Orthodox and Catholic theologians can supply many counter-arguments to your position.
The Roman Catholic church and the EO Churches are post early Church by about 300 years. So I wouldn't get confused about that, pertaining to a monastic tradition.
Yes. I had problems with a God who is jealous, angry and kills far too many people: "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." I do not respect a God who orders babies killed, and how many of those slaughtered women were pregnant?

You are at liberty to read through Buddhist scriptures and count up how many people the Buddha kills.
So do you mean to say that you never understood what God being jealous means? Do you mean to say that you can't come up with any reasons for why God would order the Hebrews to slaughter not only woman and children but also animals? You perhaps might be able to conceive that there could be valid reasons for that happening? What do you think they could be?

I have read the Buddhist scriptures before. Would you also like to see how many people Jesus killed in the Gospels?

Do you mean to say that you can't come up with any reasons for why God would order the Hebrews to slaughter not only woman and children but also animals?
I cannot come up with any valid reason. There may be invalid reasons.

You perhaps might be able to conceive that there could be valid reasons for that happening? What do you think they could be?
Genghis Khan no doubt thought he had a valid reason to order whole cities killed. It is the validity of his, and God's, reasons that is in question.

I have read the Buddhist scriptures before. Would you also like to see how many people Jesus killed in the Gospels?
I did not say "in the Gospels". If Jesus is God, then Jesus is also responsible (or one third responsible?) for all of God's actions in the Old Testament as well as in the New.

From a Buddhist point of view, Jesus the man was probably an advanced Bodhisattva. Jesus as God was definitely not.

I cannot come up with any valid reason. There may be invalid reasons.

Genghis Khan no doubt thought he had a valid reason to order whole cities killed. It is the validity of his, and God's, reasons that is in question.

I did not say "in the Gospels". If Jesus is God, then Jesus is also responsible (or one third responsible?) for all of God's actions in the Old Testament as well as in the New.

From a Buddhist point of view, Jesus the man was probably an advanced Bodhisattva. Jesus as God was definitely not.
So you admit that you cannot come up with any reasons. That is good because that is the first step to humility.

Excuse me but if you are a person that does not believe God exists, why are you blaming evil on God? Can you see that those two stances are in contradiction to each other and that you hold both in your mind at the same time?

I know you didn't say "in the gospels" but that is what I said. You confused Buddha with Jesus. Jesus did not kill anybody in the gospels just like Buddha didn't kill anybody in the Dhamapada or any of the Buddhists "scriptures". As to Jesus being God, Jesus himself said he was one with God and Buddha didn't. So in comparing Buddha to Jesus we find out some interesting facts. We find out that Jesus claimed to be one with God and Buddha didn't. That means your belief in Buddha is blind faith in something supernatural. That is always going to be a problem for Buddhists because they admit the existence of the supernatural but are incapable of searching it back to its origin, which would be known as "God": they have supernatural beliefs at the same time as claiming to be skeptics and atheists. That is irrational and contradictory.

So you admit that you cannot come up with any reasons.
Please read my post. I cannot find any valid reason. I can come up with plenty of invalid reasons: God got out of the wrong side of bed that morning and decided to slaughter a few hundred people. God got a pebble in his shoe and decided to flood the world, killing most people, including every unborn child on earth.

Excuse me but if you are a person that does not believe God exists, why are you blaming evil on God? Can you see that those two stances are in contradiction to each other and that you hold both in your mind at the same time?
I am Buddhist. You need to read the Brahmajala sutta, section 42 where a creator god is described. There are a lot of gods in Buddhist scriptures.

I know you didn't say "in the gospels" but that is what I said. You confused Buddha with Jesus. Jesus did not kill anybody in the gospels just like Buddha didn't kill anybody in the Dhamapada or any of the Buddhists "scriptures".
Scare quotes do not an argument make. Nor does denying that Christianity says Jesus is God. Effectively you are saying "Jesus didn't kill anyone if you ignore all the places where God/Jesus kills lots of people." I do not find that argument convincing.

That means your belief in Buddha is blind faith in something supernatural.
No. The Buddha was a man, not a god. The point of Buddhism is that what one man did, other men can do as well. Faith is a virtue in Buddhism, as it is in Christianity, but in Buddhism faith is only a starting virtue. As you progress along the path, you don't need faith so much because you have seen for yourself. Faith is gradually replaced by knowledge. It is worth reading the Kalama sutta on this point.

That is always going to be a problem for Buddhists because they admit the existence of the supernatural but are incapable of searching it back to its origin, which would be known as "God": they have supernatural beliefs at the same time as claiming to be skeptics and atheists. That is irrational and contradictory.
You are also a sceptic. You are sceptical about Vishnu, Amaterasu and all the other non-Christian gods. Buddhism basically ignores gods. They are not important because they cannot enlighten you. Only you can do that for yourself. Praying to a god may help you win the lottery, but it won't get you to nirvana.

Buddhism is not an Abrahamic religion, and it is often an error to assume Abrahamic concepts in Buddhism.

Please read my post. I cannot find any valid reason. I can come up with plenty of invalid reasons: God got out of the wrong side of bed that morning and decided to slaughter a few hundred people. God got a pebble in his shoe and decided to flood the world, killing most people, including every unborn child on earth.

I am Buddhist. You need to read the Brahmajala sutta, section 42 where a creator god is described. There are a lot of gods in Buddhist scriptures.

Scare quotes do not an argument make. Nor does denying that Christianity says Jesus is God. Effectively you are saying "Jesus didn't kill anyone if you ignore all the places where God/Jesus kills lots of people." I do not find that argument convincing.

No. The Buddha was a man, not a god. The point of Buddhism is that what one man did, other men can do as well. Faith is a virtue in Buddhism, as it is in Christianity, but in Buddhism faith is only a starting virtue. As you progress along the path, you don't need faith so much because you have seen for yourself. Faith is gradually replaced by knowledge. It is worth reading the Kalama sutta on this point.

You are also a sceptic. You are sceptical about Vishnu, Amaterasu and all the other non-Christian gods. Buddhism basically ignores gods. They are not important because they cannot enlighten you. Only you can do that for yourself. Praying to a god may help you win the lottery, but it won't get you to nirvana.

Buddhism is not an Abrahamic religion, and it is often an error to assume Abrahamic concepts in Buddhism.
Chakras exist in Buddhism, don't they?

Back