Micah 6:9

Fred

KJV
The LORD'S voice crieth unto the city, and the man of wisdom shall see thy name: hear ye the rod, and who hath appointed it.

NASB
The voice of the LORD will call to the city—
And it is sound wisdom to fear Your name:
Hear, O tribe. Who has appointed its time?

Which translation is more accurate? It is the same Hebrew word (yārē') found in each version.
If the NASB read "see" and the KJV read "fear" I think there would be some cries from the KJV Only camp that the newer versions were removing the importance of the fear of the Lord.

Last edited:
Same convolution using "see" is found in the KJV predecessor, the Geneva bible, but in earlier English bibles "see" was translated "considereth". Wycliffe translates it "dreading." So "see" probably means recognize/acknowledge/consider and by inference, fear, in the context.

The LXX is "and he shall save those that fear his name."

Geneva Translation:
- The LORD'S voice crieth unto the (h) city, and [the man of] wisdom shall see thy name: hear ye the rod, and who hath appointed it.

Geneva Notes:
(h) Meaning, that when God speaks to any city or nation, the godly will acknowledge his majesty and not consider the mortal man that brings the threatening, but God that sends it.

The BD&B Lexicon defines yare (BDB page 431) as (1) fear; (2) stand in awe of something; (3) fear, reverence, honor. Altho BDB uses a dagger to indicate that its examples exhaust all the occurrences in the Bible, I cannot find (in a page filled completely by this definition) where Micah 6:9 is cited.

How glad I am that someone started a new thread!

Last edited:
I must be blind or stupid or something. The Hebrew word in Micah 6:9 is yareh, ending with a he [I checked the BHS, Koren, and Letteris editions], and BDB Lexicon treats it as a separate word (BDB page 432, meaning fear, terror, fear of God. For this definition also, BDB indicates it cited every occurrence, but I cannot find Micah 6:9 cited.

Mandelkern's Concordance treats both forms as the same word, with several occurrences spelled exactly as in Micah 6:9 -- but I cannot find Micah 6:9 cited therein.

If the word in Micah 6:9 means "see" instead of "fear", the root Hebrew word is ra'ah, spelled the same as the word in Micah but (in its root) without the yodh. Using this word, I find that BDB Lexicon has this word and covers four crowded pages (BDB pages 906-909) with citations; and Micah 9:6 is cited in this definition on BDB page 908, 1st column, about 4½ inches from the top.

Mandelkern also cites Micah 6:9 under this root, as a third person imperfect, with about 60 other occurrences spelled the same way (with a leading yodh); 1964 ed., page 1057.

Back