Micah, Isaiah and Hosea

Lee Magee

Jeremiah 26:18
Micah the Morasthite prophesied in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah, and spake to all the people of Judah, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Zion shall be plowed like a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of a forest.
Micah 1:1-2
The word of the LORD that came to Micah the Morasthite in the days of Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, which he saw concerning Samaria and Jerusalem.
Hear, all ye people; hearken, O earth, and all that therein is: and let the Lord GOD be witness against you, the Lord from his holy temple.
Isaiah 1:1
The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.
Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the LORD hath spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me.
Hosea 1:1
The word of the LORD that came unto Hosea, the son of Beeri, in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel.

Its seem evident that Micah, Isaiah and Hosea are the same prophet under different names, who all were simultaneously the prophet that served Hezekiah.

1. Jeremiah only mentions Micah
2. Micah, Isaiah and Hosea have the same opening
3. Micah, Isaiah and Hosea do not mention each other

In fact Isaiah 2:2-4 and Micah 4:1-3 are the same.

Isaiah 2:2-4
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Micah 4:1-3
But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.

And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Isaiah 36–39 is the same as 2 Kings 18–20, so perhaps Isaiah 1-35 are part of some original.

In Jeremiah 26:18, Micah is spelled מיכיה (Michaiah) and in both the Book of Micah and Jeremiah, the Septuagint spells the name Μιχαιας, also in the Antiquities of the Jews (10.92), Josephus also spells it Μιχαιας.

Since Micah 4:1 is duplicated in Isaiah 2:2, it allows for comparison between both versions including the Septuagint.

Isaiah 2:2 והיה באחרית הימים נכון יהיה הר בית־יהוה בראש ההרים ונשא מגבעות ונהרו אליו כל־הגוים
ὅτι ἔσται ἐν ταῗς ἐσχάταις ἡμέραις ἐμφανὲς τὸ ὄρος κυρίου καὶ ὁ οἶκος τοῦ θεοῦ ἐπ᾽ ἄκρων τῶν ὀρέων καὶ ὑψωθήσεται ὑπεράνω τῶν βουνῶν καὶ ἥξουσιν ἐπ᾽ αὐτὸ πάντα τὰ ἔθνη

Micah 4:1 והיה באחרית הימים יהיה הר בית־יהוה נכון בראש ההרים ונשא הוא מגבעות ונהרו עליו עמים
καὶ ἔσται ἐπ᾽ ἐσχάτων τῶν ἡμερῶν ἐμφανὲς τὸ ὄρος τοῦ κυρίου ἕτοιμον ἐπὶ τὰς κορυφὰς τῶν ὀρέων καὶ μετεωρισθήσεται ὑπεράνω τῶν βουνῶν καὶ σπεύσουσιν πρὸς αὐτὸ λαοί

Notice the different endings, Isaiah reads "all nations shall flow unto it" and Micah reads "people shall flow unto it". The Septuagint translates ונהרו into ἥξουσιν and σπεύσουσιν. The correct Greek word for the noun נהר is ῥόος and the verb נהר is ῥέομαι. Thus ונהרו translates into ῥέουσιν.

ῥέω, ῥέομαι ; to flow, run, stream, gush. metaphor; of men (lsj)

γαιός גוי "on land"
λαοί עמים people
δῆμοι עמים the people of a country, the commons, Lat. plebs, = doric κῶμαι

באחרית הימים should be ἐν ὑστέραισιν ἡμέραις "in days to come" and not the apocalyptic "in the last days".

κρᾶς ראש head, top, peak

ὑψώματα מגבעות elevations, heights

One difference between Hebrew and Greek is the position of affixes.
ὑψώ-μα-τα = מ־גבע־ות ὑ > hú > ג

1 Samuel 17:4
ὕψος גבה height
ὠμίας אמות shoulder's width circa. 40 cm?
δῶρον זרת hand's breadth

I have cracked this Biblical Hebrew language.

Greetings Lee Magee,
Its seem evident that Micah, Isaiah and Hosea are the same prophet under different names, who all were simultaneously the prophet that served Hezekiah.
They were contemporary for part of the time. What is wrong with having two or more prophets? There was most probably more, as Isaiah's wife was a prophetess and there could have been other prophets, as Isaiah also mentions that he had disciples, possibly there was at least one School of the Prophets.
Jeremiah only mentions Micah
Jeremiah is looking back and mentions Micah as predicting a particular event.
In fact Isaiah 2:2-4 and Micah 4:1-3 are the same.
Similar, but I believe that Micah is quoting Isaiah and using it in a different context during the reign of Hezekiah. I suggest that Isaiah 2 is given during the reign of Uzziah before the earthquake in Uzziah's time.
Isaiah 36–39 is the same as 2 Kings 18–20, so perhaps Isaiah 1-35 are part of some original.
Isaiah 36-39 give some of the historical setting for Isaiah 40 and following chapters. Most probably Isaiah wrote both, one in the Kings reord and the other in his own scroll.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings Lee Magee,

They were contemporary for part of the time. What is wrong with having two or more prophets? There was most probably more, as Isaiah's wife was a prophetess and there could have been other prophets, as Isaiah also mentions that he had disciples, possibly there was at least one School of the Prophets.

Jeremiah is looking back and mentions Micah as predicting a particular event.

Similar, but I believe that Micah is quoting Isaiah and using it in a different context during the reign of Hezekiah. I suggest that Isaiah 2 is given during the reign of Uzziah before the earthquake in Uzziah's time.

Isaiah 36-39 give some of the historical setting for Isaiah 40 and following chapters. Most probably Isaiah wrote both, one in the Kings reord and the other in his own scroll.

Kind regards
Trevor

Isaiah didn't necessarily write the Book of Isaiah, his role was prophet not scribe.

Isaiah 36:3 - Shebna the scribe
2 Kings 18:18 - Shebna the scribe
2 Kings 22:9 - Shaphan the scribe
1 Chronicle 24:6 - Shemaiah the scribe
Jeremiah 36:20 - Elishama the scribe
2 Samuel 20:25 - Sheva the scribe
1 Chronicles 18:16 - Shavsha the scribe

According to Numbers, these visions are dreams, this type of language is found throughout Herodotus, who also writes about Cyrus, as does Isaiah in chapter 45,

Isaiah 1:1
Vision (חזון ὄψανον = ὄψις)

Herodotus 1.209
So when Cyrus awoke he considered his vision (ὄψιος)

Herodotus 1.121
Astyages was glad and calling Cyrus, said, “My boy, I did you wrong because of a vision I had in a dream (ὄψιν ὀνείρου)

Numbers 12:6
If there be a prophet among you, the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision (במראה) and will speak unto him in a dream (בחלום)
ὅραμα מראה

Isaiah 13:1 The prophecy of Babylon, which Isaiah the son of Amoz did see.
משא בבל אשר חזה ישעיהו בן־אמוץ

משא בבל translates μαντεία βαβυλῶνος "Prophecy of Babylon", where-as the KJV incorrectly translates as "burden of Babylon" by confusing with a homonym of משא meaning φόρημα or φορτίον

The Greek verb ὁράω is irregular = ὄψομαι, εἶδον = חזה , ראה
and also φέρω = οἴσω, ἤνεγκον = נשא , ברא

Back