Milley "Had a Pattern of Behavior" of Exceeding His Authority and Undermining Trump

Michael R2

Seems pretty clear to me that it rises to the level of criminal activity under the plain language of the constitution.

Article III, Section 3, Clause 1:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
How did he adhere to any enemy of the United States? This is usually described as physically joining with another nation to carry out an act against the US.
As to giving them aid and comfort, again you may as well lock up the entire diplomatic corps if you want to stretch Milley's actions to fit that definition.

Thistle

How did he adhere to any enemy of the United States? This is usually described as physically joining with another nation to carry out an act against the US.
You don't believe that would be helpful to an enemy of the United States to know when and where we are going to strike them in a kinetic military operation? The answer is, of course that would be helpful, which means it's "aid" to the enemy.
As to giving them aid and comfort, again you may as well lock up the entire diplomatic corps if you want to stretch Milley's actions to fit that definition.
The diplomatic corps isn't constantly talking about military operations. Milley was talking about military operations.

Michael R2

You don't believe that would be helpful to an enemy of the United States to know when and where we are going to strike them in a kinetic military operation? The answer is, of course that would be helpful, which means it's "aid" to the enemy.

The diplomatic corps isn't constantly talking about military operations. Milley was talking about military operations.
Which military operation was he discussing? What plans did he pass on?

Howie

Basically, you've just described (to a degree) every diplomatic mission we have around the world. Shall we lock them all up?
Milley wss acting on his own, Michael. That is not how diplomatuc missions work. They follow a chain of command.

Have you ever been in the military?

Michael R2

Milley wss acting on his own, Michael. That is not how diplomatuc missions work. They follow a chain of command.

Have you ever been in the military?
IIRC, the protocols for communication with a foreign nation were followed, with the Secretary of Defense signing off on at least one of the calls, with multiple officials taking part.

Howie

IIRC, the protocols for communication with a foreign nation were followed, with the Secretary of Defense signing off on at least one of the calls, with multiple officials taking part.
The White House, at that time, did not know about this, said Pompeo.

In light of that statement by Pompeo, what you say above is untrue.

Michael R2

I believe it was a universal statement, if the report is correct, any military operations that may occur until the new president was sworn in.
Any? That's a bit broad. I believe there were operations still going on in Afghanistan. Did he pass any of those along? Or do you mean only operations which may effect China?

Thistle

Any? That's a bit broad. I believe there were operations still going on in Afghanistan. Did he pass any of those along? Or do you mean only operations which may effect China?
You know perfectly well what I meant. There's a word for ignoring the context, it's called pretext.

Michael R2

You know perfectly well what I meant. There's a word for ignoring the context, it's called pretext.
I was not being facetious here. Any is a very broad term. I assumed you meant operations against China, but it can also mean operations which may not be directed at China but can still effect them, i.e. military maneuvers or troop or ship deployments. Even missions in Afghanistan could be seen by China as effecting their interests.

Thistle

I was not being facetious here. Any is a very broad term. I assumed you meant operations against China, but it can also mean operations which may not be directed at China but can still effect them, i.e. military maneuvers or troop or ship deployments. Even missions in Afghanistan could be seen by China as effecting their interests.
The context in this instance includes the attribution made by Bob Woodward which I made reference to above. But losing track of that's not a big deal.

Howie

Was it required that the White House be informed of this call?
Think about that question, Michael. Milley informing Trump of the call prior to making it would have been a confrontation, and I'm certain Trump would have fired him on the spot and rightly so.

Michael R2

Think about that question, Michael. Milley informing Trump of the call prior to making it would have been a confrontation, and I'm certain Trump would have fired him on the spot and rightly so.
No kidding. The question still stands, however. Was it required, legally, that the White House be informed of this call?