Mistake In Translation - Galatians 5:17

Dizerner

It is referring to the same thing. Romans 7:25 uses the word "mind." The context of that passage is not doing what you know is right. The fight between mind and flesh.

In Galatians 5:17 the same battle is described that we know is the mind. We know it is NOT the Spirit because there is no struggle when you are in the Spirit. And verse 18 confirms it.

Only when you are born again is the Holy Spirit in our own spirit, but not before.

You're just changing what it says because you want it to say something different.

CharismaticLady

You're just changing what it says because you want it to say something different.

No I'm not, but I would say with the capital S it contradicts other scripture, and I always wondered why. Have you ever had a brain storm? Something becomes clear that was always mind boggling before. Well that's what happened and I just had to tell everybody or I'd burst with joy.

Our Lord's God

No I'm not, but I would say with the capital S it contradicts other scripture,

Read the context. Paul is obviously referring to the Holy Spirit.

Otherwise, you end up with the following which obviously does not work:

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. 16 So I say, walk by your spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to your spirit, and your spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by your spirit, you are not under the law. 19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of your spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by our spirit, let us keep in step with our spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

And you end up with this which does not work:

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. 16 So I say, walk by your mind, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to your mind, and your mind what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by your mind you are not under the law. 19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of your mind is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by our mind let us keep in step with our mind. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Rather, keep in step with God who is SPIRIT, Holy Spirit.

and I always wondered why. Have you ever had a brain storm? Something becomes clear that was always mind boggling before. Well that's what happened and I just had to tell everybody or I'd burst with joy.

Dizerner

No I'm not, but I would say with the capital S it contradicts other scripture, and I always wondered why. Have you ever had a brain storm? Something becomes clear that was always mind boggling before. Well that's what happened and I just had to tell everybody or I'd burst with joy.

It's not right.

CharismaticLady

Read the context. Paul is obviously referring to the Holy Spirit.

Otherwise, you end up with the following which obviously does not work:

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. 16 So I say, walk by your spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to your spirit, and your spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by your spirit, you are not under the law. 19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of your spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by our spirit, let us keep in step with our spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

And you end up with this which does not work:

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. 16 So I say, walk by your mind, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to your mind, and your mind what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by your mind you are not under the law. 19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of your mind is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by our mind let us keep in step with our mind. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Rather, keep in step with God who is SPIRIT, Holy Spirit.
The whole book is about those who want to go back to the LAW. Same as Romans 7:14-25 The only war is when you don't have the Holy Spirit, and trying to keep the LAW with a carnal flesh. Mind vs. flesh. The key is the battle. There is none with the Spirit.

My question is why none of you know that.

CharismaticLady

It's not right.
So it is okay to contradict other Scripture? With a capital S meaning the Holy Spirit there is a war with the flesh, but we know that is NOT true. Jesus freed us from the desire to sin, so what battle? Or don't you believe He did what He claimed to do?

Last edited:

Dizerner

So it is okay to contradict other Scripture? With a capital S meaning the Holy Spirit there is a war with the flesh, but we know that is NOT true. Jesus freed us from the desire to sin, so what battle? Or don't you believe He did what He claimed to do?

If you have no battle is because you are on the enemies' side.

The Bible does NOT teach we have no battle with the flesh.

CharismaticLady

It's not right.
I know it's not right, but they capitalized it anyway. Now people don't know if wrong is right, and right is wrong. If evil is good or good is evil. If darkness is light, or light is darkness. If bitter is sweet, or if sweet is bitter. They stop reading and studying God's word and could never in a million days spot an error this simple.

theMadJW

It's a misconception that a spirit refers to some GHOST. If you look up the Hebrew & Greek you see that Jehovah described it as "Breath, the wind".
So, it DOES refer to the angels, demons, and God being SPIRIT, because their forms are not physical. The spirit of the world is oft mentioned: it IS NOT a world of GHOSTS!

e v e

I remember when I had a battle with the flesh, but still went to church. Church is not enough. We must be born again.
being born again part one is all you discuss.

we are still here surrounded by flesh.

part two is the reunifying by His Souls with our imperishable being lost after the fall….