Moloch

Lee Magee

Leviticus 18:21 העביר למלך "pass through the Moloch" LXX λατρεύειν ἄρχοντι
Jeremiah 32:35 העביר למלך "pass through the Moloch" LXX ἀναφέρειν Μολοχ
2 Kings 23:10 העביר למלך "pass through the Moloch" LXX διάγειν Μολοχ
2 Samuel 12:31 העביר אותם במלכן "pass through the brickkiln' LXX διήγαγεν αὐτοὺς διὰ τοῦ πλινθείου

In some Hebrew manuscripts of 2 Samuel 12:31 the word is מלכן (Moloch) and העביר "pass through" is an incorrect translation, all the readings in the Septuagint are also incorrect (λατρεύω, ἀναφέρω, διάγω). The correct verb is ἐκπυρόω "burn too ashes, to be heated", so העביר למלך should be ἐξεπύρωσεν τῷ πλινθείῳ.

1 Kings 11:7 יבנה שלמה במה לכמוש שקץ מואב בהר אשר על־פני ירושלם ולמלך שקץ בני עמון
"Solomon build high place for Chemosh the abomination of Moab in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon"

לכמוש means τῳ καμίνῳ "for the kiln", another name for למלך = τῷ πλινθείῳ "for the kiln"
שקץ is not ἀπεχθής "abomination" but εἰκαστός "apprehended through an image" = εἰκών "likeness, image" = כיון "Chiun" (Amos 5:26)
במה from βῆμα "a raised platform"

Deuteronomy 32:17 יזבחו לשדים לא אלה "They sacrificed unto lime who are no God"
Psalm 106:37 ויזבחו את־בניהם ואת־בנותיהם לשדים "They sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto lime
Amos 2:1
על־שרפו עצמות מלך־אדום לשיד "He burned the bones of the king of Edom unto Lime

שדים is the same as τιτᾶνος ; a white earth, prob. gypsum, Hes.Sc.141, Luc.Hist.Conscr.62, Alex.21: also, chalk, lime
שדים comes from “σύνδεσμα "that which bonds" ( σύνδεσμαשדים τιτᾶνος )

When Deuteronomy 32:17 state "who are no God", it means Moloch is not a god, but a kiln. Amos 2:1 specifies bones because lime can be obtained by burning bones. Lime Mortar is used for damp proofing or waterproofing bricks. In 1 Kings 8, Solomon sacrificed 142,000 animals and in the following chapter, he finished his temple, how much lime mortar be produced from the bones of 142,000 animals?

The bible does emphases the making of bricks, even in early Genesis.

Genesis 11:3 Let us make brick and burn them thoroughly
Exodus 5:7 Ye shall no more give the people straw to make brick, as heretofore: let them go and gather straw for themselves
Exodus 5:8 And the tale of the bricks
Exodus 5:12
So the people were scattered abroad throughout all the land of Egypt to gather stubble instead of straw.
Isaiah 5:24 - fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff
Isaiah 33:11
- Ye shall conceive chaff, ye shall bring forth stubble
Isaiah 33:12
- The people shall be as the burnings of lime

I believe the structure being built in Exodus was Necho's Canal, the Hebrews being the labourers, but during the construction, Pharoah Necho II died at war with the Babylonians, this was around the time the colony of Elephantine was formed.

Molech is another name for the God-man (aka “Baal”, “God the Son,” “Jesus, the second person of the Godhead,” etc.) —

Baal.2 Joel C. Slayton describes the Baal of Peor as “akin to Canaanite Baal,” but akin also to the purported god of child sacrifice, Molech

Molech is another name for the God-man (aka “Baal”, “God the Son,” “Jesus, the second person of the Godhead,” etc.) —

Baal Peor (בעל פעור) is the same as Apollo Phoebus (Ἀπόλλων Φοῖβος), an entirely different god.

In Old Testament the Hebrews bury the dead, but Phoenicians cremated the dead, this is the reason for criticism.
- Job 7:9 He that goes down to the grave shall come up no more.

If a person is cremated, then there is no going down to a grave (no hades, no hell, no judgement), instead the body turns into a pillar of smoke that goes up into the sky, the abode of God. Notice that animal offerings to God in the Old Testament are burnt, how else will God receives the offering?

Punic cremation

Punic children who died young possessed a special status. They were accordingly incinerated and buried inside an enclosure reserved for the cult of lord Ba'al Hammon and lady Tanit. These children were not "dead" in the usual sense of the word; rather, they were retroceded. For mysterious reasons, Ba'al Hammon decided to recall them to himself. Submitting to divine will, the parents returned the child, giving it back to the god according to a ritual that involved, among other things, incineration and burial. In return, the parents hoped that Ba'al Hammon and Tanit would provide a replacement for the retroceded child‹and this request was inscribed on a funeral stela. Thus the Tophet burials were not true offerings of children to the gods. Rather, they were restitutions of children or fetuses taken prematurely, by natural death.

Deuteronomy 32:17 יזבחו לשדים לא אלה "They sacrificed unto lime who are no God"
Psalm 106:37 ויזבחו את־בניהם ואת־בנותיהם לשדים "They sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto lime
Amos 2:1
על־שרפו עצמות מלך־אדום לשיד "He burned the bones of the king of Edom unto Lime

שדים is the same as τιτᾶνος ; a white earth, prob. gypsum, Hes.Sc.141, Luc.Hist.Conscr.62, Alex.21: also, chalk, lime
שדים comes from “σύνδεσμα "that which bonds" ( σύνδεσμαשדים τιτᾶνος ).
Only Amos 2:1 should be rendered “to lime.” The other verses use the word “לשדים” which means “to demons” from the word “שד”.

What is “שד“ ?

Lamentations 4:3
Even the sea monsters draw out “חלצו“ the breast “שד“ and they give suck to their young ones"

In this verse, “שד“ (στῆθος, μαστός) means breast, the verb “חלץ“ is ἕλκω (hélkō).

Euripides, Phoenissae 960
I will come to your sister, Jocasta, at whose breast (μαστὸν) I was suckled (εἵλκυσ᾽) when bereft of my mother.

Are breasts (שדים) demons (שדים)?

I wouldn't pay much attention to Biblical Hebrew. The real language is Phoenician, the sea faring people of the Mediterranean.

Last edited:
What is “שד“ ?

Lamentations 4:3
Even the sea monsters draw out “חלצו“ the breast “שד“ and they give suck to their young ones"

In this verse, “שד“ (στῆθος, μαστός) means breast, the verb “חלץ“ is ἕλκω (hélkō).

Euripides, Phoenissae 960
I will come to your sister, Jocasta, at whose breast (μαστὸν) I was suckled (εἵλκυσ᾽) when bereft of my mother.

Are breasts (שדים) demons (שדים)?

I wouldn't pay much attention to Biblical Hebrew. The real language is Phoenician, the sea faring people of the Mediterranean.
No, the vowels are different: שֵׁד = demon; שַׁד = breast (though you may have to zoom in to see the difference in the vowels if your eyes are as bad as mine.) When I first started learning modern Hebrew I read a children's story about the house of a demon. Google translate rendered it something like the boob's house.

Ancient Hebrew and modern Hebrew are entirely different languages.
Demon is a word from ancient Greek.

δαίμων god, goddess, genius, guardian spirit
δαήμων knowing, experienced in a thing

Isaiah 13:21
Satyrs shall dance there (KJV)
δαιμόνια ἐκεῗ ὀρχήσονται (LXX)

In this verse, שעירים is rendered δαιμόνια "demons" in the LXX

Isaiah 13:21 שערים ירקדו שם σάτυροι τροχάζουσιν ἔνθα "satyrs run-about there"

This could also read "goats run-about there". שערים/τράγοι/χίμαροι "he-goats" cf. τανύτριχα "long-haired, shaggy" cf. δασέα

Ancient Hebrew and modern Hebrew are entirely different languages.
They aren’t entirely different languages. Modern Hebrew will allow you to read most of the Hebrew bible.
Demon is a word from ancient Greek.

δαίμων god, goddess, genius, guardian spirit
δαήμων knowing, experienced in a thing

Isaiah 13:21
Satyrs shall dance there (KJV)
δαιμόνια ἐκεῗ ὀρχήσονται (LXX)

In this verse, שעירים is rendered δαιμόνια "demons" in the LXX

Isaiah 13:21 שערים ירקדו שם σάτυροι τροχάζουσιν ἔνθα "satyrs run-about there"

This could also read "goats run-about there". שערים/τράγοι/χίμαροι "he-goats" cf. τανύτριχα "long-haired, shaggy" cf. δασέα
The information I gave you is correct.

The reason “שד“ means demon is because the Septuagint scribes decided to translate it δαίμων, so the LXX is the authority over its definition.

Deuteronomy 27:4 - שדת אותם בשיד
KJV - plaster them with plaster
NKJV - you shall whitewash them with lime

συνδεῖς αὐτοὺς ἐν σύνδεσειשדת אותם בשיד

σύνδεσις (LSJ) πρὸς τὴν τῆς κονίας σύνδεσιν ; so as to bind the mortar or stucco (Diodorus Siculus, Library, 13.113)

"limes" simpliciter constitute no deity, which justifies the description in Deuteronomy 32:17 "limes" ... who are no God. The context here is not "demons" because δαίμονες are gods.

It is not demon, see the definition of δαίμων in classical Greek, else שד means θεός "god", elsewhere שדי means Ζεύς
edit per mod The word "שד" in the texts I cited above means "demon". The term "δαίμων" can mean other things, but it was used to translate שד because both of them mean "demon" in those passages.

edit per mod The word "שד" in the texts I cited above means "demon". The term "δαίμων" can mean other things, but it was used to translate שד because both of them mean "demon" in those passages.
I don't know why the truth gets modded, but all the obvious lies and misinformation remain untouched.

"demon" in Biblical Greek and Classical Greek are entirely different words? So not the same "demons" that possesses people in the New Testament.

In the NT, "possessed with devils" is a translation of the verb δαιμονίζομαι rather than δαίμων , but the word is more to do with δαήμων knowing, experienced in a thing.

Songs of Solomon 7:1
How beautiful are thy feet with shoes, O prince's daughter! the joints of thy thighs are like jewels, the work of the hands of a cunning workman.
מה־יפו פעמיך בנעלים בת־נדיב חמוקי ירכיך כמו חלאים מעשה ידי אמן

δαήμων אמן

Other Graecism in Songs 7

εὐφυία natural goodness of shape, shapeliness → יפו
πόδες σου ἐν ὑποδήμασιν "they feet in sandels" פעמיך בנעלים
χνόαι the joints חמוקי metaph, χνόαι ποδῶν the joints on which the feet play
ἄρθρα ankles?ירכי
\ μηροί leg-bones → ירכי

In the NT, "possessed with devils" is a translation of the verb δαιμονίζομαι rather than δαίμων
That's one possibility among many others.
Sometimes δαίμων is used:
Mt. 8:31 "οἱ δὲ δαίμονες παρεκάλουν αὐτὸν λέγοντες· εἰ ἐκβάλλεις ἡμᾶς, ἀπόστειλον ἡμᾶς εἰς τὴν ἀγέλην τῶν χοίρων."

Sometimes the diminutive form δαιμόνιον:
Mt. 12:27 "καὶ εἰ ἐγὼ ἐν Βεελζεβοὺλ ἐκβάλλω τὰ δαιμόνια, οἱ υἱοὶ ὑμῶν ἐν τίνι ἐκβάλλουσιν; διὰ τοῦτο αὐτοὶ κριταὶ ἔσονται ὑμῶν."

Sometimes τὸ ἀκάθαρτον πνεῦμα:
Mt. 12:43 "43Ὅταν δὲ τὸ ἀκάθαρτον πνεῦμα ἐξέλθῃ ἀπὸ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου, διέρχεται δι’ ἀνύδρων τόπων ζητοῦν ἀνάπαυσιν καὶ οὐχ εὑρίσκει"

There is more than one way to express the thought, but δαίμων is one of those ways. Everything I've told you is accurate.

Matthew specifies Βεελ ζεβοὺλ (Beel Zeboul) = בעל זבוב = בעל זבול?
πάστας τέττιγος בעל זבוב "Master of Cicada (or cicala)" ??

זבול also זבוד (Genesis 30:20) so that זבלון (Zebulon) also זבדון (Zebudon).

ἑδώλιον (hedṓlion) זבלון (Zebulon) seat, mostly pl, abodes, in a ship, a raised quarter-deck at the stern, sg. step of the mast
ἑδωλιάζω
זבל ,זבד furnish with seat

Βεελ ζεβοὺλ maybe the Phoenician version of Palaemon, the god of sailing, also known as Melicertes (Melqart) and Portunus in Roman mythology.

Back