Money Wasted in Mesoamerica?

nomrom

As early as 1953, the New World Archaeological Foundation (NWAF) received funding from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after Thomas Ferguson approached church leaders about finding Book of Mormon archeological evidence. Ferguson had a passion for looking for archaeological evidences for the Book of Mormon and he reminded the church leadership that discovering Book of Mormon artifacts would assist in the church’s missionary program.

After years of studying maps, Mormon scripture, and Spanish chronicles, Ferguson had concluded that the Book of Mormon took place around the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, the narrowest part of Mexico. He had come to the jungles of Campeche, northeast of the isthmus, to find proof. Ferguson wrote, “It is the only Church on the face of the earth which can be subjected to this kind of investigation and checking.” And in another, to the LDS leadership, he declared, “The Book of Mormon is either fake or fact. If fake, the [ancient] cities described in it are non-existent. If fact—as we know it to be—the cities will be there.”

After many years of searching for artifacts and other evidence, he came up empty-handed. In 1975, he submitted a paper to a symposium about Book of Mormon geography outlining the failure of archaeologists to find Old World plants, animals, metals, and scripts in Mesoamerica. “The real implication of the paper,” he wrote in a letter the following year, “is that you can’t set Book of Mormon geography down anywhere—because it is FICTIONAL.”

COINS:
Nothing has ever been found to support the Book of Mormon. Also, metallic coins were never used in ancient America.

ANCIENT MANUSCRIPTS: The Book of Mormon has ZERO ancient manuscripts to back it up, yet it is criticizing the bible as being unreliable when the bible has over 40,000 ancient manuscripts to support it.

DNA: The Mormon church claims that the ancient inhabitants of the Americas (Indians) descended from the Jews. Genetic evidence shows the Indians can be traced exclusively to Asia.

PLANTS AND ANIMALS: We see the wrong types of plants and animals in the Book of Mormon. For example, the Book of Mormon states horses were used in great battles involving chariots, yet horses were never in the America’s at this time. There is no evidence of horses in Central and North America before the Spaniards arrived (hundreds of years after the Book of Mormon).

CITIES: Thirty-eight cities mentioned-none have ever been found. No Mormon cities have been located by using the Book of Mormon as a guide.

PEOPLES AND EMPIRE: The peoples and Empires listed in the bible have been well established by archaeology, written records and history but there is no evidence of the peoples and empires listed in the Book of Mormon. There is simply no trace anywhere. Is it possible for the three enormous empires that flourished in the America’s to leave absolutely no trace? Any Archaeologist will say this is not possible.

METALLURGY: No evidence has been found in the Americas of iron being hardened to make "steel" in ancient times.

WRITINGS: An empire that last 1,000 years and claims to be a culture of writings that produced thousands of plates and records should easily be found via archaeology, yet nothing has been found.

THE HILL OF CUMORAH:
One of the biggest evidences against the Mormon Church is that is does not have a major archaeological dig at the current Hill Cumorah in New York state. Today Archaeologists use some of the most cutting-edge techniques before they even get out their shovels. Remote-sensing methods have allowed scientists to find hidden sites and objects, from Egyptian pyramids to the burial site of Richard III. We have Hi-Tech Mapping using Ground-Penetrating radar, high-resolution magnetometers, and other state-of-the-art remote-sensing equipment can find anything if it is under the dirt!

The Book of Mormon claims that there were STEEL swords, spears, shields, armor, horses etc. in abundance present in this great battle. According to the Book of Mormon, at least 230,000 men died in battle at the Hill Cumorah. Also, this battle was about 1/10 the size of the battle which took place at the same location approximately 1,000 years earlier when, according to Ether 15:2 "nearly two million" of the Jaredites had their last great battle. In theory this site should be a gold mine of easy-to-find archaeological evidence. Don’t you think if the Mormon Church or any Professional Archaeological Organization that was heavily funded with the most modern technology in the world, could find at least one little archaeological find at the Hill Cumorah?

brotherofJared

COINS: Nothing has ever been found to support the Book of Mormon. Also, metallic coins were never used in ancient America.
No coins are mentioned in the Book of Mormon.
ANCIENT MANUSCRIPTS: The Book of Mormon has ZERO ancient manuscripts to back it up, yet it is criticizing the bible as being unreliable when the bible has over 40,000 ancient manuscripts to support it.
So what? Does it make it true if they had them? Would u believe it was true if they did?

WRITINGS: An empire that last 1,000 years and claims to be a culture of writings that produced thousands of plates and records should easily be found via archaeology, yet nothing has been found.
U can make ur own opinions but u can't make facts. This is simply false.
THE HILL OF CUMORAH: One of the biggest evidences against the Mormon Church is that is does not have a major archaeological dig at the current Hill Cumorah in New York state.
Why would that be important? Nothing in the book of Mormon ever happened on that hill.
Today Archaeologists use some of the most cutting-edge techniques before they even get out their shovels. Remote-sensing methods have allowed scientists to find hidden sites and objects, from Egyptian pyramids to the burial site of Richard III. We have Hi-Tech Mapping using Ground-Penetrating radar, high-resolution magnetometers, and other state-of-the-art remote-sensing equipment can find anything if it is under the dirt!
Again, no big deal. That hill is not mentioned in the Book of Mormon even once. But if what u say is true, and I don't believe it is, then that would be a waste of money. They would be looking in the wrong place.
The Book of Mormon claims that there were STEEL swords, spears, shields, armor, horses etc. in abundance present in this great battle.
There is no mention of steel in this "great battle". 🙄
According to the Book of Mormon, at least 230,000 men died in battle at the Hill Cumorah.
Not on that hill they didn't.
Also, this battle was about 1/10 the size of the battle which took place at the same location approximately 1,000 years earlier when, according to Ether 15:2 "nearly two million" of the Jaredites had their last great battle. In theory this site should be a gold mine of easy-to-find archaeological evidence.
Why? Because it would say, "Jaredite gold mining company" on it? 🙄🙄🙄
Don’t you think if the Mormon Church or any Professional Archaeological Organization that was heavily funded with the most modern technology in the world, could find at least one little archaeological find at the Hill Cumorah?
No.

nomrom

Imagine how stupid one must feel when he spends eternity in Hell because he turned his back on 2,000 years of Christianity, Holy Tradition, Scripture, Reason and might I add "Common Sense", only to put his soul into the hands of a So-Called Prophet who not only had many failed prophecies to his credit, but this man from the 1800's also said there are small men living on the men dressed like Quakers. I'm sure even the Demons get a kick out of this ignorance

brotherofJared

Imagine how stupid one must feel when he spends eternity in Hell because he turned his back on 2,000 years of Christianity, Holy Tradition, Scripture, Reason
Imagine how stupid one must feel to follow a 2000 year old false religion just because it's 2000 years old, which it isn't. I'm embarrassed for those who believe Ina history that doesn't exist.

Bonnie

Imagine how stupid one must feel when he spends eternity in Hell because he turned his back on 2,000 years of Christianity, Holy Tradition, Scripture, Reason and might I add "Common Sense", only to put his soul into the hands of a So-Called Prophet who not only had many failed prophecies to his credit, but this man from the 1800's also said there are small men living on the men dressed like Quakers. I'm sure even the Demons get a kick out of this ignorance
Actually, the men were supposed to be 6 feet tall, if I remember correctly. :) NOT "small."

Theo1689

Imagine how stupid one must feel to follow a 2000 year old false religion just because it's 2000 years old, which it isn't. I'm embarrassed for those who believe Ina history that doesn't exist.

According to that "logic", Mormonism is less than 200 years old.
But at least Christianity is Biblical.

nomrom

Actually, the men were supposed to be 6 feet tall, if I remember correctly. :) NOT "small."
I stand corrected and I forgot to mention, they lived 1,000 years: Men on the Moon Dressed like Quakers: Joseph Smith said that six- foot men, dressed like Quakers, live on the moon and live to be 1000 years old. (The Young Woman's Journal, Vol 3, page 263).

Men Living on The Sun Too: President Brigham Young not only taught the moon was inhabited, but the Sun as well. In a sermon delivered in the Tabernacle in Salt Lake City, President Young made these unbelievable statements: "Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening, called the moon?...when you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the ignorant of their fellows. So, it is in regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain." (Journal of Discourses, vol. 13, p. 271).

From the LDS publication, Journal of Discourses, vol. 13, p. 271 confirming the fact that Mormon Prophet Brigham Young taught the moon was inhabited as well as the sun. This sermon was given by Brigham Young in the Tabernacle in Salt Lake City on July 24, 1870.

Reactions: Mik