More reading of CCC; Who is the cause of our salvation

Catholics:
01. Who is the cause of your salvation?
02. Through whom is your life?

CCC- 494 At the announcement that she would give birth to "the Son of the Most High" without knowing man, by the power of the Holy Spirit, Mary responded with the obedience of faith, certain that "with God nothing will be impossible": "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be [done] to me according to your word."139 Thus, giving her consent to God's word, Mary becomes the mother of Jesus. Espousing the divine will for salvation wholeheartedly, without a single sin to restrain her, she gave herself entirely to the person and to the work of her Son; she did so in order to serve the mystery of redemption with him and dependent on him, by God's grace:140

As St. Irenaeus says, "Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race."141 Hence not a few of the early Fathers gladly assert. . .: "The knot of Eve's disobedience was untied by Mary's obedience: what the virgin Eve bound through her disbelief, Mary loosened by her faith."142 Comparing her with Eve, they call Mary "the Mother of the living" and frequently claim: "Death through Eve, life through Mary."143
Specifically what is your problem with the above?

Mary is not the ultimate cause of salvation (formal cause) Mary is the efficient cause. This is to say that God deigned to link his presence on Earth to Mary's obedience.

As well praise the paintbrush for the Mona Lisa. ?
Actually------you are not that off.

A good artist needs good tools in order to create art. Bob Ross created beautiful art--but not Fine art because he did not use artist paintbrushes. A quality trained musician needs quality instruments to produce decent notes. How much more, than the Son of God in effecting redemption. What to an amateur artist would seem like decent tools, to a mature, professional artist is akin to finger paint. An amateur violinist cannot tell the difference between a 300 dollar violin and a Stratovarius. A good violinist can.

Forgive the crude analogy, but Mary is analogous to a tool that God used to effect His will in redemption. But becasue perfection requires perfection, God designed and created the perfect tool in Mary so that she could serve as a perfect vessel for His Son.

In attempting your "reducio ad absurdum" you unwittingly gave me the analogy I needed to better make my point. Thanks!

Last edited:

A good artist needs good tools in order to create art. Bob Ross created beautiful art--but not Fine art because he did not use artist paintbrushes. A quality trained musician needs quality instruments to produce decent notes. How much more, than the Son of God in effecting redemption. What to an amateur artist would seem like decent tools, to a mature, professional artist is akin to finger paint. An amateur violinist cannot tell the difference between a 300 dollar violin and a Stratovarius. A good violinist can.

Forgive the crude analogy, but Mary is analogous to a tool that God used to effect His will in redemption. But becasue perfection requires perfection, God designed and created the perfect tool in Mary so that she could serve as a perfect vessel for His Son.

In attempting your "reducio ad absurdum" you unwittingly gave me the analogy I needed to better make my point. Thanks!
Says who? Maybe God doesn't need a 'perfect tool for a perfect vessel'. If you look at His lineage its far from perfect. God certainly used miracles to accomplish His mission of salvation but mary didn't need to be perfect she just had to be obedient. Which she was.

No you failed once again to prove the Marian doctrines as right, they are false. They are not scriptural at all. Mary is not meant to be a statue which people bow to. Mary is Jesus mother, she was not a PV, she was not IC, there was no assumption. She was an obedient Jewish maiden.

EX 20:4

You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

No it’s not. I grant that you may be using hyperbole but what I really think is that you guys just don’t like it when we talk about Jesus being our Savior because heaven forbid a Catholic should be right!

Shoes!!! Instead of sandals!! I wasn’t aware that ‘favorite footwear’ was a requirement for salvation. You guys are all over the place with the requirements for salvation.
Can Jesus be my Savior and I not be a member of the rc denomination?

Yes, interpretations are not always correct. Some of the ECF knew the Greek language and where taught by the apostles. Their understanding is probably better than ours.
so you accept these ECF Greek Scholars?

the early Church saw James 2:21 as talking about vindication/proof

Cyril of Alexandria
, a native Greek speaker, on the issue of the meaning of the term edikaiōthē (translated “justified” in Ancient Christian Commentary on the Scripture, New Testament VI), clearly explains that he believes that it refers to vindication, and not literal justification:

Clement
, who writes at a time contemporaneous enough with James’ to have a thorough understanding of edikaiōthē and the doctrine of the Apostles that is surrounding it. Citing James 2:23, and likely having the whole section in mind when exegeting Hebrews 11, he writes that Abraham proved his faithfulness in the performance faithful acts:
Not only does Clement endorse the view that Abraham was vindicated by his sacrifice of Isaac, as he was found faithful in our sight because of it, he linguistically uses the term “justified” to mean “vindicated” elsewhere in the letter.

Cyprian of Carthage writes:
“men are tried by God for this purpose, that they may be proved.”

A later Latin writer, Hilary of Poitiers,
Abraham had proved, by the sacrifice of his son,

"the Greek language had no other word that meant vindication in the present tense"

Says who? Maybe God doesn't need a 'perfect tool for a perfect vessel'. If you look at His lineage its far from perfect. God certainly used miracles to accomplish His mission of salvation but mary didn't need to be perfect she just had to be obedient. Which she was.
That makes Mary's vow of virginity more credible.

"How can this be, since I am a virgin?"

Says who? Maybe God doesn't need a 'perfect tool for a perfect vessel'.
Well, the Holy of Holies in the Old Testament would suggest otherwise. And their God didn't dwell IN it, He merely dwelt ON and ABOVE it on the Mercy Seat, spiritually. If the Holy of Holies had to be perfect---how much more the vessel in whom he dwelt bodily and biologically.
If you look at His lineage its far from perfect.
Of course, it is. You miss the point---of course. Mary is rather unique in the history of redemption. Mary isn't just another prophet, king, or even relative of Jesus.
God certainly used miracles to accomplish His mission of salvation but Mary didn't need to be perfect she just had to be obedient. Which she was.
And if all Mary is was yet another prophet, king, relative of Jesus or whatever--you would have a point. Mary is unique in the order of redemption.

No you failed once again to prove the Marian doctrines as right, they are false. They are not scriptural at all. Mary is not meant to be a statue which people bow to. Mary is Jesus mother, she was not a PV, she was not IC, there was no assumption. She was an obedient Jewish maiden.

EX 20:4

You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
What does Exodus 20:4 have to do with devotion to Mary?

This is so typical of you people. Just post a random Scripture verse without explaining what it has to do with anything.

That makes Mary's vow of virginity more credible.

"How can this be, since I am a virgin?"
That is nonsense, ding. She was betrothed but, as Matthew tells us, she and Joseph had not yet "come together." Betrothed virgins were expected to remain virgins until their wedding night. So, when Gabriel told Mary that she would bear the Messiah, she wanted to know how that was possible, since she was a virgin....nothing like this had ever happened before since creation.

Man, what a stretch some Catholics must make, in order to attempt to support their false doctrines about Mary!

Funny how in this debate we just need to sit back and let the Protestants attempt to argue against our position--and in so doing, actually unwittingly bolster our position.
We did nothing of the kind, romish. Mary's question has nothing to do with her supposedly making a vow of remaining a virgin for her entire life. IF that were true--why did she get betrothed to Joseph in the first place, IF she had no intention of being a true wife to Joseph in the fullest sense of the word? And she was betrothed BEFORE Gabriel came to her. She could have just lived with her parents until they died and then lived with some other relatives until she died, still chaste.

But God ordained marriage and sex in marriage and procreation through marriage. She would be breaking the LoM if she had refused sexual relations with her lawful husband, plus, breaking the marriage contract.

No it doesn't. That is a false teaching arising from that evil POJ. She was a virgin because she and Joseph had no completed their marriage service.
We can see the desperation of the Catholics on here, in their desire to keep their Mary a chaste near goddess who could never, ever be caught doing something so....normal and earthy as have marital relations with her lawful husband, Joseph, and joyfully raising up children with him, as gifts from God.

We can see the desperation of the Catholics on here, in their desire to keep their Mary a chaste near goddess who could never, ever be caught doing something so....normal and earthy as have marital relations with her lawful husband, Joseph, and joyfully raising up children with him, as gifts from God.
It is though God is punishing her for something, as children are a gift from God and a loving husband is also a gift.

What does Exodus 20:4 have to do with devotion to Mary?

Some Catholics bow to statues of Mary, don't they? They venerate the statues? Plus, assign powers and glory to Mary that rightfully belong only to her Son??? They hyper venerate Mary, don't they? Like here:

Remember, JPII presented the bullet that nearly killed him, to a statue of Mary, as a sort of thank offering.
This is so typical of you people. Just post a random Scripture verse without explaining what it has to do with anything.
Actually, we don't just post "random" scripture verses at all. But it is pretty obvious what the poster was trying to do with posting those verses.

Back