Mormon Requirements for Eternal Life

Janice Bower

Eternal life is the phrase used in scripture to define the quality of life that our Eternal Father lives. The Lord declared, “This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). Immortality is to live forever as a resurrected being. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, everyone will receive this gift. Eternal life, or exaltation, is to live in God’s presence and to continue as families (see Doctrine and Covenants 131:1–4). Like immortality, this gift is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. However, to inherit eternal life requires our “obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel” (Articles of Faith 1:3).

When we are baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, we enter the path that leads to eternal life. . . .

LOOK:
After we are baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, much of our progress toward eternal life depends on our receiving other ordinances of salvation: for men, ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood; for men and women, the temple endowment and marriage sealing. When we receive these ordinances and keep the covenants that accompany them, we prepare ourselves to inherit eternal life.

What Is Exaltation?

Exaltation is eternal life, the kind of life that God lives.

Requirements for Exaltation
To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be
such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments. He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:
1. We must be baptized.
2. We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy
Ghost.
3. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.
4. We must receive the temple endowment.
5. We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.

In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to:
1. Love God and our neighbors.
2. Keep the commandments.
3. Repent of our wrongdoings.
4. Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.
5. Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.
6. Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.
7. Have family and individual prayers every day.
8. Teach the gospel to others by word and example.
9. Study the scriptures.
10. Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.

Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.

The gospel is our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness. The central doctrine of the gospel is the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

The Atonement is the sacrifice Jesus Christ made to help us overcome sin, adversity, and death. Jesus's atoning sacrifice took place in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross at Calvary. He paid the price for our sins, took upon Himself death, and was resurrected.

Joseph Smith taught: “It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God.. . . He was once a man like us; . . . God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 345–46). Our Heavenly Father knows our trials, our weaknesses, and our sins. He has compassion and mercy on us. He wants us to succeed even as He did.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

"The gospel is our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness."

Only Mormons (whether raised in Mormonism or converted to it) can follow the plan.

The gospel is our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness. The central doctrine of the gospel is the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

The Atonement is the sacrifice Jesus Christ made to help us overcome sin, adversity, and death. Jesus's atoning sacrifice took place in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross at Calvary. He paid the price for our sins, took upon Himself death, and was resurrected.

Joseph Smith taught: “It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God.. . . He was once a man like us; . . . God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 345–46). Our Heavenly Father knows our trials, our weaknesses, and our sins. He has compassion and mercy on us. He wants us to succeed even as He did.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
Lds affirm salvation by good works, and hold to another God, neither eternally nor a trinity!

Lds affirm salvation by good works, and hold to another God, neither eternally nor a trinity!
False. We affirm salvation by grace through faith. The question is what is faith and where does one find it? We affirm that faith without works is dead (the scriptures happen to agree). Faith is found among those who wear themselves out in well doing, following, not only the teaching of their God but also following the example set by God's Son.

False. We affirm salvation by grace through faith. The question Lds holds is what is faith and where does one find it? We affirm that faith without works is dead (the scriptures happen to agree). Faith is found among those who wear themselves out in well doing, following, not only the teaching of their God but also following the example set by God's Son.
Lds holds that one must be water baptized, and must keep the Mormon prescripts and commands to get saved, and Lds God is not the One of the Bible!

The Mormons teach that everyone existed as something eternally including their god, but he was a man for a time and had to earn his godhood just as the people on earth should. >: ( You know quite a bit about them; I'm glad.

Lds holds that one must be water baptized, and must keep the Mormon prescripts and commands to get saved, and Lds God is not the One of the Bible!
Funny, baptism and keeping the commandments as requirements for salvation is in the Bible. Doing these things is an expression of faith.

The Mormons teach that everyone existed as something eternally including their god, but he was a man for a time and had to earn his godhood just as the people on earth should. >: ( You know quite a bit about them; I'm glad.
No such theology exists in our church. He was God both before his mortal sojourn as well as after. He did, however, earn the right to mediate on our behalf. And whether u accept it or not, He was exalted to the right hand of God.

They view God as once being a mortal man, and that is why they see Mormons males able to become gods, and to basically become the Yahweh of their own earth!

Funny, baptism and keeping the commandments as requirements for salvation is in the Bible. Doing these things is an expression of faith.
Water Baptism not required to be saved, and our good works show that we are indeed saved, but Lds treats therm as part of salvation process!

No such theology exists in our church. He was God both before his mortal sojourn as well as after. He did, however, earn the right to mediate on our behalf. And whether u accept it or not, He was exalted to the right hand of God.
is Adam your God then? And the real Jesus was and is eternal God, never was created, nor evolved to becoming God!

Eternal life is the phrase used in scripture to define the quality of life that our Eternal Father lives. The Lord declared, “This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). Immortality is to live forever as a resurrected being. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, everyone will receive this gift. Eternal life, or exaltation, is to live in God’s presence and to continue as families (see Doctrine and Covenants 131:1–4). Like immortality, this gift is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. However, to inherit eternal life requires our “obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel” (Articles of Faith 1:3).

When we are baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, we enter the path that leads to eternal life. . . .

LOOK:
After we are baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, much of our progress toward eternal life depends on our receiving other ordinances of salvation: for men, ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood; for men and women, the temple endowment and marriage sealing. When we receive these ordinances and keep the covenants that accompany them, we prepare ourselves to inherit eternal life.

What Is Exaltation?

Exaltation is eternal life, the kind of life that God lives.

Requirements for Exaltation
To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be
such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments. He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:
1. We must be baptized.
2. We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy
Ghost.
3. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.
4. We must receive the temple endowment.
5. We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.

In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to:
4. Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.
5. Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.
9. Study the scriptures.

Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.

Yep. Is there an argument here, or is posting beliefs alone a thing now?
If I went on a Christian thread and posted a bunch of bible verses, would you really care? Probably not.

I'm wondering why Christians would take issue with these beliefs if they understand the truly understand the mormon meaning of salvation and eternal life.
Are we supposed to walk away with the impression that "true" Christianity doesn't require anything? I listen to Christian radio broadcasts that teach quite the opposite. If a person is truly "saved" it requires EVERYTHING, and they are willing to do ANYTHING according to God's will. (Matt 10:39) Having "no other gods before me" would reflect the very lifestyle your illustrating in our beliefs:

9. Study the scriptures.

Why do supposed fellow Christians get so offended by this message? Because they want to imagine that Mormons are claim it's their works that save them? Given some of the current mormon posters on this board, I suppose that's a reasonable to walk away with that impression. However, what the church actually believes is that Jesus opens the gate, and we walk to Him. And even after ALL we do, it's only by God's grace that we are saved.

2 Nephi 10:
24 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved.

And just so you know, the reconciling spoken of come by the grace and power of Jesus Christ:

Moroni 10:
32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

Yep. Is there an argument here, or is posting beliefs alone a thing now?
If I went on a Christian thread and posted a bunch of bible verses, would you really care? Probably not.

I'm wondering why Christians would take issue with these beliefs if they understand the truly understand the mormon meaning of salvation and eternal life.
Are we supposed to walk away with the impression that "true" Christianity doesn't require anything? I listen to Christian radio broadcasts that teach quite the opposite. If a person is truly "saved" it requires EVERYTHING, and they are willing to do ANYTHING according to God's will. (Matt 10:39) Having "no other gods before me" would reflect the very lifestyle your illustrating in our beliefs:

9. Study the scriptures.

Why do supposed fellow Christians get so offended by this message? Because they want to imagine that Mormons are claim it's their works that save them? Given some of the current mormon posters on this board, I suppose that's a reasonable to walk away with that impression. However, what the church actually believes is that Jesus opens the gate, and we walk to Him. And even after ALL we do, it's only by God's grace that we are saved.

2 Nephi 10:
24 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved.

And just so you know, the reconciling spoken of come by the grace and power of Jesus Christ:

Moroni 10:
32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.
Lds has another Jesus and Gospel

Yes, different from what spawned from the Nicene Creed and following, but that doesn't make it unbiblical.
I became a Trinitarian without ever seeing the Nicene Creed or even asking a pastor. What Joseph Smith spawned evolved from modalism to multiple gods that earned their power and positions by obedience to laws and ordinances that supposedly existed for eons.. The Mormon Godhead is unequal gods, one of them quite inferior to the two over him

Given some of the current mormon posters on this board, I suppose that's a reasonable to walk away with that impression. However, what the church actually believes is that Jesus opens the gate, and we walk to Him. And even after ALL we do, it's only by God's grace that we are saved.

2 Nephi 10:
Your gods in embryo have to earn the grace that you think saves. It isn't grace, it's wages for what they did!

Doctrine and Covenants 82
10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.

Doctrine and Covenants 130
20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Doctrine and Covenants 138
58 The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,

59 And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.

Do not ignore what your scriptures teach.

Moroni 10:
Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon and most of the Doctrine and Covenants.

If ye deny yourselves of all ungodliness then God will bless you with sufficient grace, according to Smith.

Last edited:
Are we supposed to walk away with the impression that "true" Christianity doesn't require anything? I listen to Christian radio broadcasts that teach quite the opposite.
Please tell me the name of the preacher who taught you that or were you not really paying attention? Why are you listening to what your church calls secularism and why do you listen to pastors "who teach for doctrines the commandments of men"?

Mormons teach antibiblical doctrine and extrabiblical doctrine. A missionary asked me what I read that caused me to leave Mormonism. I told him that I started reading the Bible, but he didn't ask me if I also prayed.

Back