Mormon Requirements for Eternal Life

No. All you really need to do is read the Bible, and have a conscience, to realize that mormonism didn’t come from Christ.
Even the Bible backs up LDS doctrine and Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price and D&C.... yep, we all do have the Bible and also someone who can and did translate it correctly...

(y)The Bible confirmed my doubts about Mormonism.

I guess I was somewhat fortunate then.
I became a Christian in 1990, at the age of 27.
I had access to the Internet through my University's computer system, and I was part of a "Usenet" chess discussion forum. I put a Bible quote in my signature, and I was contacted by email by a Mormon on the chess forum, "Hi! I gather you're a Christian. I'm a Christian too, a Mormon Christian". Well, I knew almost nothing about Christianity until I became a Christian, and knew even less about Mormonism, but I loved reading Scripture, and had probably read the NT through at least twice by this point.

What started as an unsolicited email turned into a 10-year discussion between Doug and I, where we shared and discussed just about every aspect of our beliefs. We gave each other gifts. I sent him a modem he needed, he sent me a competition chess set, complete with chess clock. I sent him a copy of "Pilgrim's Progress", he sent me and LDS-KJV, and D&C and PoGP.

I had learned early on in my apologetics experience (I was very zealous about the gospel, and discussing it, and my first apologetics experience was on a local BBS network in discussions with a JW and an atheist (the latter with the nickname, "Mickey Finn"). I learned early on that if I wasn't familiar with a passage, I needed to read (at least) the surrounding paragraph (if not more).

I also picked up a copy of "Mormonism, Mama, and Me" by Thelma "Granny" Geer. At the time, I actually thought it was a "Pro-Mormon" book, but in the end it turned out to be very eye-opening for me.

After ten years of discussions, the experience only that much more convinced me that Mormonism was a cult. On Doug's side, he had started the exchange saying that every Mormon doctrine could be proven from the Bible. At the end of our discussions, he admitted to me that he was wrong about them all being taught in the Bible, but they were all taught in Mormon sources, so he still believed them. I don't know whether I convinced him of at least that much, or whether that was what he thought I wanted to hear.

I often say that of all the Mormons I've ever met, he's the only one I have any hope of becoming a Christian. Because he was always friendly, and willing to answer any question, and address any passage I brought up, instead of playing the games we see over and over in these forums.

There was one interesting anecdote. We are both chess enthusiasts, and so I suggested he try to find "ChessMaster 2000", an AI playing chess software. He found it at the local library, and loved it. Six months later, I discovered that he still had it installed in his computer, long after he returned the package to the library. I told him that he needed to delete it, since it was stealing. He had only "borrowed" it. He disagreed with me at first, but eventually told me he saw my view and deleted it.

Sadly, the discussions ended with a sad story. He was actually an employee at a library. And the last discussion which we had was about the necessity of water baptism. He tried to tell me that all the Christian denominations, including Catholicism, saw water baptism as "required". Well, I knew that this was completely false, and that even the RCC taught a "baptism of desire" (if you wanted to be baptized, but were unable before dying), and "baptism of blood" (for martyrs). So I asked him to support his claim, and he gave me a secondary source written by a Mormon. I shared with him primary sources from the churches in question, and he simply responded, "I don't accept them. I have all confidence that my author did his due diligence and studied it sufficiently". So this is a guy at a library, who believes (biased) secondary sources were more accurate than primary sources.

I guess I was somewhat fortunate then.
I became a Christian in 1990, at the age of 27.
I had access to the Internet through my University's computer system, and I was part of a "Usenet" chess discussion forum. I put a Bible quote in my signature, and I was contacted by email by a Mormon on the chess forum, "Hi! I gather you're a Christian. I'm a Christian too, a Mormon Christian". Well, I knew almost nothing about Christianity until I became a Christian, and knew even less about Mormonism, but I loved reading Scripture, and had probably read the NT through at least twice by this point.

What started as an unsolicited email turned into a 10-year discussion between Doug and I, where we shared and discussed just about every aspect of our beliefs. We gave each other gifts. I sent him a modem he needed, he sent me a competition chess set, complete with chess clock. I sent him a copy of "Pilgrim's Progress", he sent me and LDS-KJV, and D&C and PoGP.

I had learned early on in my apologetics experience (I was very zealous about the gospel, and discussing it, and my first apologetics experience was on a local BBS network in discussions with a JW and an atheist (the latter with the nickname, "Mickey Finn"). I learned early on that if I wasn't familiar with a passage, I needed to read (at least) the surrounding paragraph (if not more).

I also picked up a copy of "Mormonism, Mama, and Me" by Thelma "Granny" Geer. At the time, I actually thought it was a "Pro-Mormon" book, but in the end it turned out to be very eye-opening for me.

After ten years of discussions, the experience only that much more convinced me that Mormonism was a cult. On Doug's side, he had started the exchange saying that every Mormon doctrine could be proven from the Bible. At the end of our discussions, he admitted to me that he was wrong about them all being taught in the Bible, but they were all taught in Mormon sources, so he still believed them. I don't know whether I convinced him of at least that much, or whether that was what he thought I wanted to hear.

I often say that of all the Mormons I've ever met, he's the only one I have any hope of becoming a Christian. Because he was always friendly, and willing to answer any question, and address any passage I brought up, instead of playing the games we see over and over in these forums.

There was one interesting anecdote. We are both chess enthusiasts, and so I suggested he try to find "ChessMaster 2000", an AI playing chess software. He found it at the local library, and loved it. Six months later, I discovered that he still had it installed in his computer, long after he returned the package to the library. I told him that he needed to delete it, since it was stealing. He had only "borrowed" it. He disagreed with me at first, but eventually told me he saw my view and deleted it.

Sadly, the discussions ended with a sad story. He was actually an employee at a library. And the last discussion which we had was about the necessity of water baptism. He tried to tell me that all the Christian denominations, including Catholicism, saw water baptism as "required". Well, I knew that this was completely false, and that even the RCC taught a "baptism of desire" (if you wanted to be baptized, but were unable before dying), and "baptism of blood" (for martyrs). So I asked him to support his claim, and he gave me a secondary source written by a Mormon. I shared with him primary sources from the churches in question, and he simply responded, "I don't accept them. I have all confidence that my author did his due diligence and studied it sufficiently". So this is a guy at a library, who believes (biased) secondary sources were more accurate than primary sources.
Interesting....

Denominations don't save.

That's like claiming the kingdom of heaven does not save. But one is part of that kingdom in being saved.

Hebrews 12:22-23---King James Version
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

So--how many denominations did the NT have--which God recognized?

Acts 16:4-5---King James Version
4 And as they went through the cities, they delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem.
5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.

Read Ephesians 2.

Also ask yourself the following questions:
Who does good? Who is capable of doing good?

Anyone is capable of doing good--that is what all will be judged by:

John 5:28-29--King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Or--

1 John 3:7---King James Version
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Who began the good work in us?

Jesus Christ. And He will finish it also--if we are willing.

1 Timothy 4:16---King James Version
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

dberrie2020 said: Question for the board--how many denominations were there in the Biblical NT--

I believe the correct answer is "one".

Then what are we to conclude with the hundreds of different denominations of today?

There was one trait of the NT church which distinguished them from all others:

Ephesians 2:20---King James Version
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

IE--they had the living, mortal apostles and prophets-- Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Then what are we to conclude with the hundreds of different denominations of today?

The hundreds of different MORMON denominations?
I believe they're all cults.

(And remember, this is the MORMONISM forum. Stop trying to go off-topic.)

Ephesians 2:20---King James Version
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

And that is still true of the Christian church today.

But the LDS church has REJECTED those prophets and apostles in favour of their own FALSE prophets and FALSE apostles.

The hundreds of different MORMON denominations?

There is only one "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

And that is still true of the Christian church today.

The NT church had the living, mortal apostles and prophets--just as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do.

But the LDS church has REJECTED those prophets and apostles in favour of their own FALSE prophets and FALSE apostles.

Cite, please. No more so than the NT church rejected the dead apostles when additional apostles were ordained.

Acts 14:14---King James Version
14 Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,

Could you show us where those names were found in the original twelve?

14 Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,

If you want to know the correct teaching of the Bible, ask this question in an APPROPRIATE forum, and I will answer it.

Since I am not Mormon, my beliefs are not appropriate here, and I will NOT enable you to derail discussion away from Mormonism, which you clearly understand is bankrupt and indefensible, which is why you can't defend it.

dberrie2020 said:

If you want to know the correct teaching of the Bible, ask this question in an APPROPRIATE forum, and I will answer it.

I don't need a forum to obtain a "correct teaching" of the Bible--especially what is obvious.

The NT church was set upon the foundation of the living, mortal apostles and apostles--Jesus Christ being the Chief Corner Stone.

The LDS church has something in common there--they still have living, mortal apostles and prophets--and a church named after the only name under heaven which can bring salvation to mankind.

Acts 4:10-12---King James Version
10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

That's like claiming the kingdom of heaven does not save. But one is part of that kingdom in being saved.
The kingdom of heaven doesn't save.

Hebrews 12:22-23---King James Version
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

So--how many denominations did the NT have--which God recognized?
God knows and saves the sheep whom He separates from the goats. His sheep follow the Shepherd. God knows all that He adds to His church. Man doesn't add them to His church.

4 And as they went through the cities, they delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem.
5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.
Anyone is capable of doing good--that is what all will be judged by:
That is the Mormon consensus. But the Bible says otherwise: Romans 3:9-23!

Romans 8:9

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

John 3:7---King James Version
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Philippians 1
Jesus Christ. And He will finish it also--if we are willing.

He already made us willing!

Philippians 1
3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, 5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; 6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

John 10
1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. 6This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

Jesus knows that the sheep will follow Him, and the sheep want to follow Him. We know Him and He knows us.

27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

The sheep are eternally secure. We won't follow strangers. Our Shepherd keeps us safe and will never forsake us.

Even the Bible backs up LDS doctrine and Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price and D&C.... yep, we all do have the Bible and also someone who can and did translate it correctly...
Those who see the truth of the Bible leave Mormonism. And some leave Mormonism anyway!

God knows and saves the sheep whom He separates from the goats. His sheep follow the Shepherd. God knows all that He adds to His church. Man doesn't add them to His church.

What is your evidence both God and man adds those who obey God to the church?

Acts 2:38-42---King James Version
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Again--the apostles and leaders were in respect to the church:

That has a lot to do with men.

That is the Mormon consensus.

Acts16:4-5 is the LDS consensus--but it is also the Biblical consensus.

But the Bible says otherwise: Romans 3:9-23!

Romans 8:9

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Acts 8:15-17---King James Version
15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

God allows error to exist. Some vessels are fit for destruction. You surely don't think He made everyone love Him.
I'm not sure how you are relating that to the subject?

I asked how many denominations the NT had, which God accepted as His--as to the church. Theo responded--"one".

My question is--then what do we make of the multitude of denominations which exist today?

IOW--if God only has one denomination--then either one of the denominations are His church today, and the rest not His, or--all the denominations are false.

Which one of those?

I'm not sure how you are relating that to the subject?

I asked how many denominations the NT had, which God accepted as His--as to the church. Theo responded--"one".

My question is--then what do we make of the multitude of denominations which exist today?

IOW--if God only has one denomination--then either one of the denominations are His church today, and the rest not His, or--all the denominations are false.

Which one of those?
There ha been but one Church, true Church of Christ, that would be all of the redeemed saved by Lord jesus, as NO church is that, such as lds, Baptistm catholic etc!

Where does the bible support :sd teachings regarding eyernal progression of gods, Adam having sex with mary to conceive jesus, jesus and lucified brothers etc?

There ha been but one Church, true Church of Christ, that would be all of the redeemed saved by Lord jesus, as NO church is that,

The scriptures testify God has a church:

That church also had living, mortal apostles.

The scriptures testify God has a church:

In this sense, "apostles" (from the Greek, "αποστολος") simply means "sent-out-ones", which today we call "missionaries".

And unlike Mormons (who send their "missionaries" either to LDS-rich areas like SLC or Boise, or otherwise Christian-rich areas such as South America or Germany), Christian churches send their missionaries to places where they've never heard the gospel.

That church also had living, mortal apostles.

The "Apostles" you're referring to here are those also called "The Twelve", and since they are still alive ("God is a God of the living, not the dead"), we have no need to "replace" them, as the LDS church fraudulently does.

Back