Mormon Requirements for Eternal Life

The Bible does not back up mormon doctrine…

The Bible and LDS theology mesh very well.

What the Biblical text does not back--is the theology pawned here by the critics:

1 John 2:3-4---King James Version
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Very friendly to LDS theology.

Reading the Bible and not seeing the lies about God and prophets opened my eyes to truth.

Hebrews 1:1
1In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe

Proverbs 3:5
5Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

I believed these verses!

And these are not the only verses that Mormonism contradicts.

What the Biblical text does not back--is the theology pawned here by the critics:

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Christians keep God's commandments instead of following false prophets. I know the Shepherd and He knows me. He leads I follow.

Christians keep God's commandments....

That's true--and there is a reason why:

Matthew 19:16-19--King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Reading the Bible and not seeing the lies about God and prophets opened my eyes to truth.

Hebrews 1:1
1In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe

Proverbs 3:5
5Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

I believed these verses!

And these are not the only verses that Mormonism contradicts.

Perhaps you could stop shouting long enough to provide us some evidence why you believe that violates LDS theology? The churches of today don't make any such claim as God speaking to them--not in the way He did in the NT--where they had personal appearances of God and angelic visitors--with witnesses, and being led by the living, mortal apostles and prophets. The LDS church still claims that. You wouldn't dare to, IMO.

Yes. Works based by keeping the commandments. Too bad you don't understand what commandments were spoken about.

That's true--and there is a reason why:

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Following Joseph Smith and false gods is NOT what the sheep do.

Keeping the commandments is Christian doctrine. It comes from the Bible. Joseph Smith’s mormon doctrines, beginning with who God is, did not.

Keeping the commandments is Christian doctrine. It comes from the Bible.

I agree:

Joseph Smith’s mormon doctrines, beginning with who God is, did not.

But wouldn't you make the same claim about the witness of the Biblical NT--in separating out God the Son from the "one God" here?

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Yep. Is there an argument here, or is posting beliefs alone a thing now?
If I went on a Christian thread and posted a bunch of bible verses, would you really care? Probably not.

I'm wondering why Christians would take issue with these beliefs if they understand the truly understand the mormon meaning of salvation and eternal life.
Are we supposed to walk away with the impression that "true" Christianity doesn't require anything? I listen to Christian radio broadcasts that teach quite the opposite. If a person is truly "saved" it requires EVERYTHING, and they are willing to do ANYTHING according to God's will. (Matt 10:39) Having "no other gods before me" would reflect the very lifestyle your illustrating in our beliefs:

1. Love God and our neighbors.
2. Keep the commandments.
3. Repent of our wrongdoings.
4. Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.
5. Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.
6. Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.
7. Have family and individual prayers every day.
8. Teach the gospel to others by word and example.
9. Study the scriptures.
10. Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.

Why do supposed fellow Christians get so offended by this message? Because they want to imagine that Mormons are claim it's their works that save them? Given some of the current mormon posters on this board, I suppose that's a reasonable to walk away with that impression. However, what the church actually believes is that Jesus opens the gate, and we walk to Him. And even after ALL we do, it's only by God's grace that we are saved.

2 Nephi 10:
24 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved.

And just so you know, the reconciling spoken of come by the grace and power of Jesus Christ:

Moroni 10:
32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.
Those Mormon requirements won't save anyone. Teaching a false gospel is to be accursed. We are not fellow Christians because what you call the gospel is accursed and your "Christ" is a false one.

Those Mormon requirements won't save anyone. Teaching a false gospel is to be accursed. We are not fellow Christians because what you call the gospel is accursed and your "Christ" is a false one.

I would file that away in my "straw man" file--but it is already overflowing.

Those Mormon requirements won't save anyone. Teaching a false gospel is to be accursed.

But isn't this a false gospel for the critics here?

Janice--that's what one will find being taught in the LDS church.

And by “follow Him” you mean what exactly? Obey the mormon rules?
Keep the commandments. Regardless of what one does in the church, any church, if they don't keep the commandments, they cannot be saved.

If u r confused about which those commandments are, I suggest u read the Bible. If one keeps the commandments, then the rituals one performs in our church might be of some benefit but without faith none of it will be effectual.

It appears that your argument supposes that we teach that our rituals save. But we do not. Salvation comes through Jesus Christ alone and by following him.

Back