"Mormonism" vs "the Gospel"

brotherofJared

If personal revelation is true, then it has plenty of doctrinal value.
Zero. Doctrine comes through the prophet, first presidency, quorum of the twelve, and the church. You can get confirmation that it's true, but it's already doctrine when you get it. You aren't setting any new doctrine for the church.

Aaron32

Zero. Doctrine comes through the prophet, first presidency, quorum of the twelve, and the church. You can get confirmation that it's true, but it's already doctrine when you get it. You aren't setting any new doctrine for the church.
I'm not talking about setting doctrine for the church. I'm talking about identifying spiritual truths that bring us closer to God.
Who is going to save you? Is the church going to save you, or the Holy Ghost sent by the Father in the name of His Son?

Magdalena

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Not if that faith is "alone".
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Ephesians 2:
8 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 “Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

Fenuay

I think you are both correct. Personal revelation from the Holy Spirit can have doctrinal value in confirming doctrine of the church but of course we do not create new doctrines for our churches.

Aaron32

Faith is never alone. I dislike that phrase. I think it omits the importance of a true working faith. True faith invokes works. Faith without works is dead. But works without faith are in vain. They kinda come together.
I agree. I suppose that I use the language of non- Mormon Christianity term to express the idea. When Christians say "faith alone", that's shorthand for "grace alone through faith alone by Christ alone", and "works" is a given, right? http://protestantism.co.uk/solas

brotherofJared

But works without faith are in vain.
That may be your opinion, but I have yet to find anyone who can show me a scripture that says that works without faith are in vain.

The Muslim who takes a wounded American soldier into his home and ministers to his wounds is doing a good work. It's not based on faith, but instead on a belief that all men are worthy of kindness. That work is not in vain. Cornelius is an excellent example of good works without faith as example that good works are of God regardless of who is doing them.

The only works that are in vain are those that we use to cheat to get what we want.