Mormons are required to earn each blessing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janice Bower

Their God is not only obligated, but must bless when you obey. He must bless you with the blessing upon which your obedience requires.

The Lord has said, “I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise” ( Doctrine & Covenants 82:10 ).

Each blessing that you desire must be earned:

D&C 130:20-21 "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated— And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."

Last edited:
Are you worthy of all your blessings?

BIBLE:
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

Our motivation comes from God. He first blessed us before we had obeyed Him. We love others unselfishly --- not because we want a reward. Eternal life is a gift and it can't be earned.

Their God is not only obligated, but must bless when you obey. He must bless you with the blessing upon which your obedience requires.

The Lord has said, “I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise” ( Doctrine & Covenants 82:10 ).

D&C 130:20-21 "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated— And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."
AS usual you are completely wrong, never earned, blessing require action. Example is tithing, there is a promise made of blessings for living the law of tithing, but it takes faith on our part to believe in the promise of blessings if we live that particular law.....so was it earned or was it given freely for our action of Fatih to a promise?

“there is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—and when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.”

So please tell us how you interpret that as a earned blessing... there was no labor or services rendered.... it was freely given and freely obtained by faith.... faith-filled actions are required dependent upon Gods proposition of a given law...

He must bless us according to his word. If he doesn't then he's just playing with us. How can we trust that any of us will be resurrected if he doesn't have to keep his word? Yes. I would say He's obligated to keep his word.
Yep. (y) Praise God. Halleluiah!
True. Blessings are earned. Gifts are not.

Why is that a problem for you? Your argument appears to make room that anyone can do anything they want and God will save them. They don't have to do anything. That sounds like universal salvation.

He must bless us according to his word. If he doesn't then he's just playing with us. How can we trust that any of us will be resurrected if he doesn't have to keep his word? Yes. I would say He's obligated to keep his word.

Yep. (y) Praise God. Halleluiah!

True. Blessings are earned. Gifts are not.

Why is that a problem for you? Your argument appears to make room that anyone can do anything they want and God will save them. They don't have to do anything. That sounds like universal salvation.
I disagree, they never can be earned, period.... blessing are a result of our faith and our action upon the promise given by living or obeying that law...

AS usual you are completely wrong, never earned, blessing require action. Example is tithing, there is a promise made of blessings for living the law of tithing, but it takes faith on our part to believe in the promise of blessings if we live that particular law.....so was it earned or was it given freely for our action of Fatih to a promise?

“there is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—and when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.”

So please tell us how you interpret that as a earned blessing... there was no labor or services rendered.... it was freely given and freely obtained by faith.... faith-filled actions are required dependent upon Gods proposition of a given law...
Earned blessings are/were taught by the leaders you ignore. It isn't something I misinterpreted or made up.

BIBLE:
Titus 3:6
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Mormonism:

@Richard7
How many Mormons disagree with your leaders' teachings as you do?

“There will be a wise and just God to sit in judgment on all men. … The wicked may prosper for a time, the rebellious may seem to profit by their transgressions, but the time is coming when, at the bar of justice, all men will be judged, ‘every man according to their works’ (Rev. 20:13). No one will ‘get by’ with anything. On that day no one will escape the penalty of his deeds, no one will fail to receive the blessings he has earned. Again, the parable of the sheep and the goats gives us assurance that there will be total justice.”
Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, pp. 304–5

"Let us make our homes sanctuaries of righteousness, places of prayer, and abodes of love that we might merit the blessings that can come only from our Heavenly Father... How might we merit this promise [spoken of in Ezekiel 36]? What will qualify us to receive this blessing?"
Thomas S. Monson, "To Learn, to Do, to Be", General Conference, October 2008

It is the celestial glory which we seek. It is in the presence of God we desire to dwell. It is a forever family in which we want membership. Such blessings are earned through a lifetime of striving, seeking, repenting, and finally succeeding.
Thomas S. Monson, The Race of Life, General Conference, April 2012

“The gospel teaches us that relief from torment and guilt can be earned through repentance.”
Boyd K. Packer, The Brilliant Morning of Forgiveness, General Conference, October 1995;

Boyd K. Packer, The Savior’s Selfless and Sacred Sacrifice, Ensign, April 2015, and from a devotional address, “Truths Most Worth Knowing,” given at Brigham Young University on Nov. 6, 2011. For the full address, visit speeches.byu.edu.

"Each of us has been sent to earth by our Heavenly Father to merit eternal life."
Robert D. Hales, "Personal Revelation: The Teachings and Examples of the Prophets", October 2007 General Conference

How many leaders' quotes do you need in order to understand your scriptures D&C 130:20-21?

The Christian God is merciful; we are shown mercy.

For instance--the Atonement of Jesus Christ was a free gift and blessing to all mankind--predicated on the perfection of Jesus Christ:

Romans 5:18---King James Version​

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Earned blessings are/were taught by the leaders you ignore. It isn't something I misinterpreted or made up.

BIBLE:
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Mormonism:

@Richard7

“There will be a wise and just God to sit in judgment on all men. … The wicked may prosper for a time, the rebellious may seem to profit by their transgressions, but the time is coming when, at the bar of justice, all men will be judged, ‘every man according to their works’ (Rev. 20:13). No one will ‘get by’ with anything. On that day no one will escape the penalty of his deeds, no one will fail to receive the blessings he has earned. Again, the parable of the sheep and the goats gives us assurance that there will be total justice.”

1). Well this one you can throw out: “The gospel teaches us that relief from torment and guilt can be earned through repentance.”
Has nothing to do with earned blessings...
2). Merit has nothing to do with earned...
3). no one will escape their deeds, yes we will receive the blessings (protection) he has earned... but what law?
4). It is in the presence of God we desire to dwell. It is a forever family in which we want membership. Earned what? What law?
And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."
5). “The gospel teaches us that relief from torment and guilt can be earned through repentance.” Again what law is this predicated on?
What Blessing (law) is earned and predicated on relief from torment and guilt...

Nice try...

The principle of activating blessings that flow from God is eternal. Like those ancient Israelites, we too must act on our faith in Jesus Christ to be blessed. God has revealed that “there is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—and when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.”
That being said, you do not earn a blessing—that notion is false—but you do have to qualify for it. Our salvation comes only through the merits and grace of Jesus Christ. The immensity of His atoning sacrifice means that the woodpile is infinite; our puny actions approach zero in comparison. But they are not zero, and they are not insignificant; in the dark, a match that is lit can be seen for miles. In fact, it can be seen in heaven because small acts of faith are required to ignite God’s promises.

"Let us make our homes sanctuaries of righteousness, places of prayer, and abodes of love that we might merit the blessings that can come only from our Heavenly Father... How might we merit this promise [spoken of in Ezekiel 36]? What will qualify us to receive this blessing?"
Thomas S. Monson, "To Learn, to Do, to Be", General Conference, October 2008

It is the celestial glory which we seek. It is in the presence of God we desire to dwell. It is a forever family in which we want membership. Such blessings are earned through a lifetime of striving, seeking, repenting, and finally succeeding.
Thomas S. Monson, The Race of Life, General Conference, April 2012

“The gospel teaches us that relief from torment and guilt can be earned through repentance.”
Boyd K. Packer, The Brilliant Morning of Forgiveness, General Conference, October 1995;

Boyd K. Packer, The Savior’s Selfless and Sacred Sacrifice, Ensign, April 2015, and from a devotional address, “Truths Most Worth Knowing,” given at Brigham Young University on Nov. 6, 2011. For the full address, visit speeches.byu.edu.

"Each of us has been sent to earth by our Heavenly Father to merit eternal life."
Robert D. Hales, "Personal Revelation: The Teachings and Examples of the Prophets", October 2007 General Conference

How many leaders' quotes do you need in order to understand your scriptures D&C 130:20-21?

The Christian God is merciful; we are shown mercy.

Last edited:

BIBLE:

The "washing of regeneration" is a reference to water baptism, and the Holy Ghost is referenced here:

Acts 5:31-32---King James Version
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

So--is that an example of earning blessings?

Mormonism:

@Richard7

How many disagree with the Biblical witness?

John 5:28-29----King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

I disagree, they never can be earned, period.... blessing are a result of our faith and our action upon the promise given by living or obeying that law...
That's fine. I think perhaps you and I and most of the other Mormons on this site have a disagreement about blessings and being predicated upon upon our work. For example tithing promises the blessings that the windows of heaven will be opened to pour out such blessings as there will not be room enough to receive it. Keeping the log tithing is an act of faith. But it's still a work. And when we do that work we have a reasonable expectation that God will fulfill his word. If he didn't then face would be empty because there would be no assurance of things not seen. And empty hope is just empty hope.

The problem I see with the antagonist in this thread is that they think that the resurrection is a blessing. And I disagree with that assessment. The resurrection is a gift given to every person no matter what they did. We don't have to work for that one but we do have to work for the rest of them.

That's fine. I think perhaps you and I and most of the other Mormons on this site have a disagreement about blessings and being predicated upon upon our work. For example tithing promises the blessings that the windows of heaven will be opened to pour out such blessings as there will not be room enough to receive it. Keeping the log tithing is an act of faith. But it's still a work. And when we do that work we have a reasonable expectation that God will fulfill his word. If he didn't then face would be empty because there would be no assurance of things not seen. And empty hope is just empty hope.

The problem I see with the antagonist in this thread is that they think that the resurrection is a blessing. And I disagree with that assessment. The resurrection is a gift given to every person no matter what they did. We don't have to work for that one but we do have to work for the rest of them.
Yep, and we did not earn the blessing of the resurrection or the blessing of forgiveness....

Whatever your opinion is, be sure to be consistent about it. According to BrotherofJared:
If we can't have something because we didn't do something, then when we did the thing to obtain that something, we earned it.

God lives according to perfect law. If we obey the law we get the consequence of that law. That's why God is trustworthy, He never changes.

For instance--the Atonement of Jesus Christ was a free gift and blessing to all mankind--predicated on the perfection of Jesus Christ:

Romans 5:18---King James Version​

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
That does not provide eternal life in Mormonism. You can quote it and pretend that Mormonism and Christianity are in agreement, but that is a deceptive practice.

Eternal
life per Mormonism has lots of requirements for being like God.

Articles of Faith:

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

Problems with church members deceiving both Mormons and non-Mormons:

1. Dishonesty
2. Breaking Mormon commandments per Articles of Faith 3 and 13.

ARTICLES OF FAITH

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same orginization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, , interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
(NOTE: No mention of Pearl of Great Price or Doctrine and Covenants.)

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion(the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

Yep, and we did not earn the blessing of the resurrection or the blessing of forgiveness....

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith.

BIBLE

Revelation 21:8
But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Without obedience in your "First Estate" you would have been denied a physical body and would have been cast out with Satan and his angels. Why is it so difficult for a Mormon to be honest?

Resurrection is not eternal life in Mormonism. It is no ta blessing to be judged guilty of the second death.

Doctrine and Covenants 82:7 warns the reader:

And now, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your Go
d.

“The Atonement and the Resurrection accomplish many things. The Atonement cleanses us of sin on condition of our repentance. Repentance is the condition on which mercy is extended.
James E. Faust, The Atonement: Our Greatest Hope, General Conference, October 2001

Without agency, we cannot develop the skills and attributes that are essential to the growth we must experience to return to God’s presence. It is simply impossible.
Bruce C. Hafen, “The Value of the Veil,” Liahona, Dec 1991, 27

But to be resurrected and immortal is not all that is required for entrance into eternal life in the kingdom of God. Eternal life in the kingdom of God is far beyond his universal gift of immortality and is God’s greatest gift to all mankind; it can only be brought about through obedience to the doctrines and commandments taught by Jesus Christ.

Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6.) He said, “… no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” This is the Lord’s way, and coming unto the Father is a divine and sacred gift that must be merited.

Bernard P. Brockbank, “Entrance into the Kingdom of God,” Ensign, Jan 1973, 44

Immortality is assured to all of us through the atonement of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. But eternal life is a personal responsibility we must earn and be worthy of.
Elder Delbert L. Stapley, The Path to Eternal Glory, Ensign, July 1973

Immortality connotes life without end. Eternal life, on the other hand, connotes quality of life — exaltation, the highest type of immortality, the kind of life enjoyed by God himself. It is in the attainment of eternal life, which man must earn in mortality, that he reaches his full potentiality.
- Marion G. Romney, of the First Presidency, at General Conference, October 1978, Ensign, November, 1978, p. 14

Individual salvation is "...that which man merits through his own acts
through life and by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel."

- Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1 p. 134

Immortality has been accomplished by the Savior's sacrifice. Eternal life hangs in the balance awaiting the works of men. This progress toward eternal life is a matter of achieving perfection. Living all the commandments guarantees complying with the formula the Lord gave us.
- one of exaltation through that perfection which comes by complying with the formula the Lord gave us.

- Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 208

“Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed. All must be saved on the same principles. If a man gets a fullness of the Priesthood of God he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord …”
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 308)

Explain that these verses teach that we are the children of God and we are his heirs. We can inherit eternal life, which is the kind of life that God lives. God will allow us to share the same knowledge and glory that he possesses. But God has established conditions we must meet if we are to inherit eternal life.

• Where can we find the conditions we must meet? (In the scriptures, the teachings of the modern prophets, the teachings of our parents, our Church meetings.)

Explain that these conditions are the commandments God gives to us. These commandments show us the way to be as happy as possible in this life and to inherit eternal life in the life to come.

Help the young women understand that there is nothing greater or more wonderful than the kind of life God lives. We cannot even imagine the joy and beauty of that life. Keeping the commandments is worth all the effort it requires because only by doing so can we become like our Father and inherit eternal life.

“Lesson 1: God the Father,” Young Women Manual 3, p. 2

“Most scriptures that speak of God or of the Lord do not even bother to distinguish the Father from the Son, simply because it doesn’t make any difference which God is involved. They are one. The words or deeds of either of them would be the words and deeds of the other in the same circumstance.

“Further, if a revelation comes from, or by the power of the Holy Ghost, ordinarily the words will be those of the Son, though what the Son says will be what the Father would say, and the words may thus be considered as the Father’s” (Bruce R. McConkie, “Our Relationship with the Lord,” in Brigham Young University 1981–82 Fireside and Devotional Speeches [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1982], p. 101).

“Lesson 1: God the Father,” Young Women Manual 3, p. 2

Don’t you see that if we are going to spend eternity with the Lord, we have to earn that privilege by doing what he asks of us? If we are going to spend eternity with him, we must become like him and so must our wives and our children. But we only become like him by keeping his commandments, by being in his church and following his program. Don’t you see that the program of the Church is really the plan of salvation, the way by which we develop those Christlike traits that make us like him?

If we were not like him and if it were possible under those circumstances to be in his presence, we would feel completely out of place, wouldn’t we? But, of course, to come to him in that way is impossible.

To develop traits of character like his is not without effort. We must realize that it is a process of growth and comes only by making his gospel a way of life.

We cannot be halfhearted about it either. We must serve him with all our heart, might, mind, and soul. And we must remember too that being active in the Church is a part of his gospel. The Lord said emphatically: “Every person who belongeth to this church of Christ, shall observe to keep all the commandments and covenants of the church.” (D&C 42:78.)

Mark E. Petersen, “Eternal Togetherness,” Ensign, Nov. 1974, p. 48

D&C 25: 15
15 Keep my commandments continually, and a crown of righteousness thou shalt receive. And except thou do this, where I am you cannot come.

D&C 76: 112
112 And they shall be servants of the Most High; but where God and Christ dwell they cannot come, worlds without end.
“We cannot keep all the commandments without first knowing them, and we cannot expect to know all, or more than we now know unless we comply with or keep those we have already received.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 256.)

Delbert L. Stapley, “The Blessings of Righteous Obedience,” Ensign, Nov. 1977, p. 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back