Most Influential books in your personal life

Most of those are classic. Conspicuously absent is Nineteen Eighty-Four, which IMO is a must read today. I had to read that and Brave New World in Grade 11 English.
The thread asked for the ten most influential books. 1984 was 12th..
Animal farm was 11th.

The Two Natures In Christ, Martin Chemnitz

Examination Of The Council of Trent, Vols I - IV, Martin Chemnitz

The Christian Tradition, Vols 1 - 5, Jaroslav Pelikan

Enjoyed reading these lists.

I don't think I can come up with 10 influencers but there are 3.

Book of Mormon
Jesus the Christ - James E Talmage
Miracle of Forgiveness - Spencer W Kimball

One that I really enjoyed reading is

The Robe - Lloyd Douglas

Would like to read the afore mentioned

The Case for Christ - Strobel

Wow what a great post i will have to give this some thought... in the meantime I am now busy looking up reviews of some of these books

Big thanks to all

Some books of many that I particularly value (in no particular order):

1) Pilgrims Progress by Bunyan
2) Fox's Book of Martyrs by Fox (& other martyrologies)
3) Annals of the Poor by Legh Richmond
4) History of Roman Empire by Gibbon
5) Animal Farm by Orwell
6) Cassell's History of Protestantism
7) The True nature of imposture fully display'd in the life of Mahomet by Prideaux, Humphrey
8) Barnes Notes on Revelation
9) History of Waldenses (think it was by Wylie)
10) Christianismi Restitutio + De Trinitatis Erroribus (translated) by Servetus & related biographies thereof.

Here are my top 10 off the top of my head that greatly impacted my life. I thought it might give some insight with background, ideas, influence and make for a fun or interesting topic of discussion in our group.

1) The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer
2) The Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer
3) Knowing God by Packer
4) The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer
5) How to read the Bible for all its worth by Fee and Stuart
6) The Gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur
7) Pilgrims Progress by Bunyan
8) Fox's Book of Martyrs by Fox
9) Kingdom of the Cults by Martin
10) Evidence that demands a verdict by McDowell

What are your favorites ?
These were my top books as a Calvinist and now as an Arminian. :)

Here are my top 10 off the top of my head that greatly impacted my life. I thought it might give some insight with background, ideas, influence and make for a fun or interesting topic of discussion in our group.

1) The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer
2) The Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer
3) Knowing God by Packer
4) The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer
5) How to read the Bible for all its worth by Fee and Stuart
6) The Gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur
7) Pilgrims Progress by Bunyan
8) Fox's Book of Martyrs by Fox
9) Kingdom of the Cults by Martin
10) Evidence that demands a verdict by McDowell

What are your favorites ?
This Board looks cool. One can talk about books without harassment. I enjoyed reading all the posts here. My favorites are the free one from Logos.

I love free books.

I got this one today, free but I'm not to sure about it.
The Theology of Paul the Apostle by James D. G. Dunn

I wat told Dunn is into:

FREE Book.
Theology of Paul the Apostle
https://www.logos.com/.../theology-of-paul-the-apostle
Use Code: PAUL22

This Board looks cool. One can talk about books without harassment. I enjoyed reading all the posts here. My favorites are the free one from Logos.

I love free books.

I got this one today, free but I'm not to sure about it.
The Theology of Paul the Apostle by James D. G. Dunn

I wat told Dunn is into:

FREE Book.
Theology of Paul the Apostle
https://www.logos.com/.../theology-of-paul-the-apostle
Use Code: PAUL22
He might have a different slant then NT Wright but I haven't read Dunns work on it. I have another older work by Dunn on Paul from 30-40 years ago but nothing recent.

The Two Natures In Christ, Martin Chemnitz

Examination Of The Council of Trent, Vols I - IV, Martin Chemnitz

The Christian Tradition, Vols 1 - 5, Jaroslav Pelikan
Chemnitz is the best work of its kind a must have.

Enjoyed reading these lists.

I don't think I can come up with 10 influencers but there are 3.

Book of Mormon
Jesus the Christ - James E Talmage
Miracle of Forgiveness - Spencer W Kimball

One that I really enjoyed reading is

The Robe - Lloyd Douglas

Would like to read the afore mentioned

The Case for Christ - Strobel
the case for Christ is excellent

Sickness unto Death by Soren Kierkegaard
Mere Christianity by CS Lewis
Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton
The Restitution of All Things by Andrew Jukes
The Unknown God by Alfred Noyes
Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by Phillip Yancey
Having and Being by Gabriel Marcel
The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Habit of Being by Flannery O'Connor
The Conscience of a Conservative by Barry Goldwater
Some good books there stiggy !

In no particular order:

"What the Bible says about God the creator" Jack Cottrell
"What the Bible says about God the ruler" Jack Cottrell
"What the Bible says about God the redeemer" Jack Cottrell
"A matter of days" Hugh Ross
"Finding Darwin's God" Kenneth R Miller
"The creator in the cosmos" Hugh Ross
"Baptism a biblical study" Jack Cottrell
"Roger Williams and the creation of the American soul" John M Berry
"The universe next door" James W Sire
"Against Appian" Flavius Josephus
"NIV commentary on Romans" Jack Cottrell
"Set free, what the Bible says about grace" Jack Cottrell
"Orthodoxy" GK Chesterton
"A man named Thursday" GK Chesterton
"A general introduction to the Bible" Geisler and Nix
"The abolition of man" CS Lewis
"Miracles" CS Lewis
"Grief observed" CS Lewis
"The problem of pain" CS Lewis
"The faith once for all" Jack Cottrell
"The meaning of marriage" Robert George & Jean Bethlehem Elshtian
"Supreme commander" Seymour Morris Junior

Many of the suggestions above are excellent, so I felt no need to repeat them here.

In no particular order:

"Miracles" CS Lewis

Many of the suggestions above are excellent, so I felt no need to repeat them here.

Impressive list. I think I've read about half of them. Never heard of Jack Cottrell, but you obviously have good taste, so I'll check him out.

In no particular order:

"Miracles" CS Lewis

Wow great list! I'm going to checkout "Set free, what the Bible says about grace" Jack Cottrell today.

Wow great list! I'm going to checkout "Set free, what the Bible says about grace" Jack Cottrell today.
That is an excellent choice. Jack Cottrell spent many decades heading the theology department at what is now Cincinnati Christian University, and this was his signature course that everyone wanted to take, about grace. He took all of those lectures, from all of those decades, and reduced it to that book.

Impressive list. I think I've read about half of them. Never heard of Jack Cottrell, but you obviously have good taste, so I'll check him out.
I have found that I have learned more about thinking straight, and thinking biblically, by reading the writings of Jack Cottrell than any other single author. By the way I host a Bible study on Thursday evenings in which we are simply reading through Jack Cottrell's Bible study on the book of Ephesians. It's not a full-blown commentary it's simply intended to be A Bible study. I'm not sure it's offered presently in paperback form so I have it on Kindle but it occurs to me that it's 23 chapters long something along those lines. so you can see it does go into a bit more depth than you might expect for a simple Bible study.

That is an excellent choice. Jack Cottrell spent many decades heading the theology department at what is now Cincinnati Christian University, and this was his signature course that everyone wanted to take, about grace. He took all of those lectures, from all of those decades, and reduced it to that book.
Sounds good. Grace was the first topic I ever did a deep study on. Jacks book is on Faithlife.com for 19 bucks. Here is a little look inside:

THE OBEDIENCE OF FAITH

An important expression occurs at both the beginning and the end of Romans, in 1:5 and 16:26, not unlike bookends that encompass the entire work. It is the same Greek phrase in both verses: eis hupakoēn pisteōs, literally, “unto obedience of faith” (there is no “the” before “obedience”). It is important because with this phrase Paul sums up the overall purpose of his ministry as the Apostle to the Gentiles. He declares that he was “called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God(Rom 1:1). To what end was he called? In 1:5 he says he received his apostleship “to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles.” This is his “mission statement,” as it were, and could well function as the mission statement of the church in any era. The very goal of the gospel is to bring sinners to “obedience of faith.”

The concept of mission or goal or purpose is found in the preposition eis, which precedes “obedience of faith.” In such a context it means “unto, for the purpose of, toward the goal of, in order to bring about.” The NASB translates it “to bring about” in 1:5 and “leading to” in 16:26. The ESV has “to bring about” in both verses. The point is that this is the result any of us, not just Paul, should be looking for when we share the gospel with the lost: we are seeking to bring them to “obedience of faith.”

If this is the case, then it would seem that this is a very important concept. This is why it is rather surprising to see such widespread disagreement as to what it means. One reason for such a variety of interpretations may be that there are so many variables to consider in the exegesis of this expression. First of all, does the word “faith” refer to subjective or objective faith? Subjective faith is the inward act of believing, the faith by which one believes (represented by the Latin expression, fides quae). Objective faith is the body of doctrine which one believes, or the content of what one believes (represented by the Latin fides qua). Most views opt for the former.

Another issue is the scope of the obedience resulting from the gospel. Does this refer to the entire life of Christian obedience? Or is it obedience to a specific, limited set of commands, such as the sinner’s “initial obedience” to the “plan of salvation” or to the gospel?

I have found that I have learned more about thinking straight, and thinking biblically, by reading the writings of Jack Cottrell than any other single author. By the way I host a Bible study on Thursday evenings in which we are simply reading through Jack Cottrell's Bible study on the book of Ephesians. It's not a full-blown commentary it's simply intended to be A Bible study. I'm not sure it's offered presently in paperback form so I have it on Kindle but it occurs to me that it's 23 chapters long something along those lines. so you can see it does go into a bit more depth than you might expect for a simple Bible study.
That sounds way cool. I love the book of Ephesians. Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”

Back