Mother is in the hospital again

Hi @Nic .

I see you updated this on Saturday.
How is she today?

Based on your description, it sounds like you're on edge too...

How are you faring through this?
Mother ate better today but was still difficult. Now it seems if I take a bite of her food she is more inclined to eat. A lot of the fluid appears to be gone. I suspect that was from two sources, way too much fluid and salt and decompensated liver function. The latter I'm hoping will go away, just perhaps? Mother normally takes in about 48oz of water per day with strict salt management. The doctor gave her 3x that in one antibiotic alone per day. Plus another antibiotic and then piggybacked saline on top. It was revealed that one effort was to try to give mom more energy. It appeared to be one size fits all healthcare. When mom is overloaded she cannot stand which is why they were confused when I was aiding in dressing her with her walker. If the first hospital didn't overload mom we had plenty of energy of going out at times 8 or 12 hour days. I'm convinced the first hospital stay was completely unnecessary. They hadva brightnideabto perform brain surgery on my mom. He wasn't prepared for my nextcquestion, "Won't this resolve on its own?" He scrambled. Mom had recovered unbeknownst to me from a similar injury accordingbto a cat scan. But tgey elected to keep her bp 215/100 for 24hr/5 consecutive days. They said everything was fine. They were clearly wrong. I kept her home and we rexovered asxwe did previously. I hadxa better result than tge hospital. Mom recivered with no chf under my watch. They can't say the same. Of course I'm talking about the older injury we had discovered. This last place assumed I had or did work in the medical or a related field for all my criticisms. In fact the doctor asked me on the phone about my background. I was harsh on them. I spent 10 to 12 hrs a day there. At first they didn't like it, but conceded I was an asset. I told them I had the worst paying job of all of them, but it was the best job because I received kisses from my mom everyday.😅 To mu surprise, they were like, you really do love your mom, don't you? I'm like, well yeah, she's my mom. Some people there were commendable, but sadly they were not as common as one would hope. Even if was high as 50%, that was way too liitle. Everytime a senior goes to the ER the recruitment process begins, so will mother be going to a nursing home? I'm like not my mother, yours? I was asked 3 or more times about the nursing home and never called the last person back. I am my mother's son and her eternal optimist. I've never done anything harder in all my life. I'm very tired. I've been tired for years. At this point in time, there is little to no chance of me not finishing out my mother's care. I wouldn't trade it for the world. My friend with Parkinson's d. wants me to be his full time caregiver. I'm like I need a break. A huge break. Then I surprised myself, in talking to my older brother, I found myself completely willing to pickup where I leave off. I think I need a shrink. Lol
No I'm not well although I have taken steps to improve some things. I shed about 40# on a meatbased low inflammatory diet. I'm chiefly meat based keto. Thanks for asking. I've helped all my neighbors as they went through this, last July one killed herself after declaring I saved her life. In another or past world, I'm or was active, as a biker and tennis player. I'm an oil painter and an instructor at heart. We are thankful for whatever time we have left, I feel like giving all my possessions away and making a run for it at times. Lol

Thanks for asking.
Maybe a CARM meet up would be nice or webcast one day. Or maybe a tackle box w/ a rod and reel. I always wanted to do a bit of fly fishing. I often tell people when this ends I will probably go into some adventuresome lifestyle only to be done in by my inexperience by a hungry bear for example. Lol

Nic 🐻 🍖

Last edited:
Update: Good News and hoping and praying for more of the same!
Within the last 36-48hrs mother has improved. We are not yet where we were before all these things, but mother is eating and drinking better. She appears to recognize me as well. And I once again receive kisses from my mother. It's too soon to know for sure just how far we have come but it is clear we passed through a very frightening and glib chapter. I'd love to tell ya how I've done everything i thought to revive her memory, but at the end of the day I believe it's the prayers of the saints that have once again aided us. In part I feel convicted for not announcing things sooner but my unbelieving spirit was casting doubt on what I was seeing. I had a touch of let_me_be_more_sure before we blow_back_and_forth_in_the_breeze-itis. So my lack of faith delayed this praise report. We continue to desire to improve on any and all fronts. Do I hold out hope for a complete recovery? That would floor me. My unbelief would surely be screaming at me from every direction, I do hope and pray for modest recovery as the Lord wills, but we will not reject any additional blessings.😎 Now did the Lord act miraculously or through some other means? Who knows? We are blessed from God in either case. I hope that doesn't sound like unbelief, it was merely intended not to presume that I know how God acted and I don't. But we remain thankful.
I'll keep you posted, thanks for your continued prayers.

In Christ love,
Nic🙏

Last edited:
“And I once again receive kisses from my mother.“

I lost my precious mommy 6-14-2012 out of the blue from a blood clot. How I’d love to have just one more precious kiss from her. My prayers are continued for both of you my Brother.

Update: Good News and hoping and praying for more of the same!
Within the last 36-48hrs mother has improved. We are not yet where we were before all these things, but mother is eating and drinking better. She appears to recognize me as well. And I once again receive kisses from my mother. It's too soon to know for sure just how far we have come but it is clear we passed through a very frightening and glib chapter. I'd love to tell ya how I've done everything i thought to revive her memory, but at the end of the day I believe it's the prayers of the saints that have once again aided us. In part I feel convicted for not announcing things sooner but my unbelieving spirit was casting doubt on what I was seeing. I had a touch of let_me_be_more_sure before we blow_back_and_forth_in_the_breeze-itis. So my lack of faith delayed this praise report. We continue to desire to improve on any and all fronts. Do I hold out hope for a complete recovery? That would floor me. My unbelief would surely be screaming at me from every direction, I do hope and pray for modest recovery as the Lord wills, but we will not reject any additional blessings.😎 Now did the Lord act miraculously or through some other means? Who knows? We are blessed from God in either case. I hope that doesn't sound like unbelief, it was merely intended not to presume that I know how God acted and I don't. But we remain thankful.
I'll keep you posted, thanks for your continued prayers.

In Christ love,
Nic🙏
No worries, Nic. Just continued prayers and faith. In gratitude and love.

Reactions: Nic
Not so great. In two hospital stays the wisdom of the day was fluid overload. If I had to guess, 85% of the people across the board in any industry are incompetent. I resuscitated my mother twice in the hospital, once after the staffer left and the other time after the staffer step aside to answer the phone to say, "the family member is in the room." At one point I was told my mom couldn't go home utilizing 5L of O²/min. It turns out they weren't giving her her breathing treatments I had informed them about. Then a few days later I told them the nasal canulla was upside-down but not to fret, I fixed it. Then this person said I had it wrong and switched it back. Three days later I informed another that my mom isn't getting her oxygen because the canulla was sealed against inside tip of my mom's nose. After that they simply pulled it. In recalling the doctors comments from their notes, they seemed surprised mom was improving. Maybe they should be surprised more than what they are?
My suggestion never leave a loved one unattended in a hospital. Since having mom home resuscitation has become a daily concern. They sent her home with so much fluid I stopped feeding her in attempts to ficus on pulling off the water so she could at least breathe a bit. I had her off the lasix altogether before our visit. When I came home they prescribed 20mg for the next 90 days. The first week alone I kept the 40mg and even maybe another 10mg just to get the water off of her. My mom looked like a fatted large seal on an ice flow and my mom's weight had been trim before the visit. Two separate nurses flat out disobeyed the doctors orders for fluids saying your mom doesn't need fluids like this especially having congestive heart failure (her last parting gift from the previous hospital). The next day I was informed the doctor insisted my mom needed them and gave this remedial explanation of feeding her this way because my mom wasn't eating. They caused that too, but I digress. Personally and cynically I generally don't think of salt water food. So my mom barely communicates today. She is non-coperative with almost any request and I don't believe she knows me much of the time or her home any longer.
Thanks for asking. I still try to be eternally optimistic where my mom is concerned, but it's much more difficult today.

Nic:)
It is hard as people get older the system seems unable to cope. But your mum is blessed to have you and you are so caring. Thinking of you both and praying.

Reactions: Nic
Back