Mother Mary

You did not answer my question: do Catholics pray to angels?
Yes, and you should too.

Matthew 18:10
“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

What better prayer partner than the one God gave you - your guardian angel.

Points against praying to Mary or any other saint.

1. God is clear do not contact the dead (no word games). The fact that RCs pray to the dead could explain why so many I know including family members think it is okay to go to mediums etc.

2. Jesus taught us how to pray and the instructions were clear. Pray to our heavenly father. He does't say pray to someone who has died.

luke 11, matt 6

He said to them, “When you pray, say:

‘Father,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come.
3 Give us each day our daily bread.
4 Forgive us our sins,
for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
And lead us not into temptation.

3. There are several prayers of the apostles recorded and none of them are to the dead, even to the dead Mary after she died. They only prayed to the Lord.

4. The apostles taught the living could intercede for us and they NEVER add pray to the dead to intercede. Not once. Even if we ask a living person to pray with us, we are both praying to God.

5. Phil 4:

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

The point here is the Lord is near, He is not distant. He wants to take away our fears and give us peace. Make your request to God.

5. Why would you not go to God directly as he wants us to pray to Him?

6. 1 John 5

13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. 14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.

There are more verses on prayer BUT nowhere do any of them say to pray to a person who is dead.

Like this:

Rev 8:3
Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne.

?
Whats your point? Its the angel not the saints in heaven that are bringing our earthly prayers into the throne room. Our prayers rise up as a sweet incense into heaven. Its the Angels job to collect them and present them to the Lord. The saints in heaven have no idea what those prayers are.

Yes, and you should too.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

Wrong. Its idolatry. Anyone who talks with their guardian angel is really speaking to a demonic entity. Angels harken only to the voice of God and his Word.

There are more verses on prayer BUT nowhere do any of them say to pray to a person who is dead.
I find Jesus' prayers on the night He was betrayed - He knew what was going to happen - quite telling:
At the Last Supper, He prayed
Joh 17:1 [CPDV] Jesus said these things, and then, lifting up his eyes toward heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has arrived: glorify your Son, so that your Son may glorify you"

Then in Gethsemane, He prays:
Mat 26:39 [CPDV] And continuing on a little further, he fell prostrate on his face, praying and saying: “My Father, if it is possible, let this chalice pass away from me. Yet truly, let it not be as I will, but as you will”
and
Mat 26:42 [CPDV] Again, a second time, he went and prayed, saying, “My Father, if this chalice cannot pass away, unless I drink it, let your will be done.”

Finally, on the cross, He prayed,
Luk 23:34 [CPDV] “Father, forgive them. For they know not what they do.”

Who but Satan and his minions would want people to pray to anyone or anything other than God? And who but Satan and his minions would say that praying to anyone other than God is OK?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

The saints in heaven would have to be omnipresent in order to hear our prayers to them. We know only God is omnipresent. Its the Angels job in heaven is to present those vails and bring them into the throne room. Jesus then answers those prayers. The saints in heaven have no idea what those prayers are.

Revelation 8:3-4

And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer, and he was given much incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne, and the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel.
You cite a verse that refutes your own argument.

Clearly saints are offering prayers to God--that is in the vision. The saints are praying to God.

Who do you think the saints are praying TO if not Jesus?

What is with you Catholics?? You are alive upon the earth as we are. The dead in Christ are not.
Are not what? Alive on earth? So? What matters is that they are still united to the Body of Christ. The basis of their ability to pray for us is not their LOCATION, but their unity with the Body of Christ.
We KNOW those alive upon the earth can hear/ read our requests to pray FOR them, which is Biblical. Praying to the dead in Christ is not.
Why? Location? That is your argument? The dead in Christ cannot hear our prayers--because they are in heaven, not earth? What kind of argument is that? What does location have to do with anything?
I have seen plenty of Marian prayers that were far from being intercessor prayers--they were prayers for help and salvation, to appease her Son's wrath, etc.
Well, Bonnie, Jesus is the way to the Father. Jesus appeases the Father's wrath. Jesus the mediator between God and man.

Mary/The Church is the mediator between Jesus and man. Jesus is the way to the Father, Mary/the Church, the way to Jesus. Note, Jesus is not visibly present in the world. His presence is made visible through the ministry of the Church, hence why I say the Church is the way to Jesus. You locate the Church, you locate Christ.

I'm really sorry that you think this. ?
Alas that Roman Catholics put their trust in an organization - trust that would be better placed in God's Word.

Rom 8:26 [CPDV] And similarly, the Spirit [of God] also helps our weakness. For we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself asks on our behalf with ineffable sighing.

The "prayer partner" God gives us is He, Himself.

Yes, and you should too.

Despite the fact that sentence occurs nowhere in the bible you'd rather swap God for an angel? If theres no better prayer partner than your angel and you two are so tight, whats his name? And if prayer is a two way street, what prayers does your angel answer?

Back