in the city of our God!
His holy mountain, beautiful in elevation,
is the joy of all the earth,
Mount Zion, in the far north,
the city of the great King.
Within her citadels God
has made himself known as a fortress.
(Psalm 48:1-3)

This Psalm speaks of Mount Zion, which is another name for Jerusalem, as being in the far north. Jerusalem was near the center of Israel. After the kingdom split in two it was near the northern border of Judea but there is no way it could be considered to be in the far north.

It seems obvious that this doesn’t speak of the present city of Jerusalem but of a new Jerusalem which will exist in the future. Someday God will destroy the present earth and create a new heaven and a new earth. This new earth is described in chapters 21 and 22 of Revelation. He will create a new Jerusalem which will be the capital of the new earth. (Perhaps he has already created it and it is waiting in heaven for the time it will be brought down to earth.)

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (Revelation 21:2)

The Bible doesn’t say where on earth the city will be located but the Bible associates the direction north with being the seat of God’s power. Here is what Satan said when he rebelled against God.

You said in your heart,
“I will ascend to heaven;
above the stars of God
I will set my throne on high;
I will sit on the mount of assembly
in the far reaches of the north;
I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”
(Isaiah 14:13,14)

It appears that the new Jerusalem will be in the extreme north, in the area around the North Pole. I guess Santa Claus will have to find a new location for his toy factory.

It appears that the new Jerusalem will be in the extreme north, in the area around the North Pole. I guess Santa Claus will have to find a new location for his toy factory.
Then again, because "Santa Claus" is derived from "Saint Nicholas", maybe he won't! ?

--Rich

This Psalm speaks of Mount Zion, which is another name for Jerusalem, as being in the far north. Jerusalem was near the center of Israel. After the kingdom split in two it was near the northern border of Judea but there is no way it could be considered to be in the far north.

It seems obvious that this doesn’t speak of the present city of Jerusalem but of a new Jerusalem which will exist in the future. Someday God will destroy the present earth and create a new heaven and a new earth. This new earth is described in chapters 21 and 22 of Revelation. He will create a new Jerusalem which will be the capital of the new earth. (Perhaps he has already created it and it is waiting in heaven for the time it will be brought down to earth.)

The Bible doesn’t say where on earth the city will be located but the Bible associates the direction north with being the seat of God’s power. Here is what Satan said when he rebelled against God.

Mont Zion is where the city new Jerusalem is located and the new city is a spiritual city on a new earth. Mont Zion is the bridegroom company where the bridegroom sits. Mont Zion which is the bridegroom company is part of the body of Christ as well as the bride and the children of the bride. God bless you. :)

Greetings puddlegum,
"Mount Zion, in the far north," This Psalm speaks of Mount Zion, which is another name for Jerusalem, as being in the far north.
The following give the rendition "on the sides of the north".
Psalm 48:2 (KJV): 2 Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King.
Psalm 48:2 (ASV 1901): Beautiful in elevation, the joy of the whole earth, Is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, The city of the great King.
Psalm 48:2 (NKJV): Beautiful in elevation, The joy of the whole earth, Is Mount Zion on the sides of the north, The city of the great King.
Psalm 48:2 (HCSB): rising splendidly, is the joy of the whole earth. Mount Zion on the slopes of the north is the city of the great King.
Psalm 48:2 (DARBY): Beautiful in elevation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King.

When Jerusalem is viewed from the east, south and west it is impressive, even today, because the observer looks up from the depth of the valleys on these sides to the great walls of the fortified cities. On the north side, however, the city is level with the terrain as there is no valley. But in the Age to Come, the 1000 year Kingdom of God upon the earth there will great changes in the immediate vicinity when the Mount of Olives splits after Jesus returns and stands on the Mount of Olives:
Zechariah 14:3–5 (KJV): 3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. 4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. 5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.
As a result Jerusalem will be so exalted that even from the north her elevation and appearance will be beautiful.

Kind regards
Trevor

Uh no, the Psalmist isn't referring to somewhere in Canada.

Back