My bad deed for the day...

Whateverman

An amazing musician I've played with occasionally moved to Kentucky in August. I miss Nicky, and we still keep in touch.

Unfortunately, I mentioned Ken Ham's installation there - and to my surprise, Nicky immediately said she was gonna pay it a visit.

Noooooooo.....

Whatsisface

An amazing musician I've played with occasionally moved to Kentucky in August. I miss Nicky, and we still keep in touch.

Unfortunately, I mentioned Ken Ham's installation there - and to my surprise, Nicky immediately said she was gonna pay it a visit.

Noooooooo.....
Hmm. I'd concentrate on the music. What's your instrument and genre?

Whateverman

Hmm. I'd concentrate on the music. What's your instrument and genre?
I'm a lifelong drummer/percussionist.

I don't have a preferred genre; the more, the merrier. However, at the moment, the bands I'm in tend to play classic(ish) rock covers. Nicky was with me in a folk band, which was a great change of pace; requires a whole different set of skills to play well.

I'd love to find a band to play funk, metal or Latin jazz with. I live in a pretty rural area, though, so you take what you can get :)

Whatsisface

I don't have a preferred genre; the more, the merrier. However, at the moment, the bands I'm in tend to play classic(ish) rock covers. Nicky was with me in a folk band, which was a great change of pace; requires a whole different set of skills to play well.

I'd love to find a band to play funk, metal or Latin jazz with. I live in a pretty rural area, though, so you take what you can get :)
Sounds interesting. You must be skilled if you can turn your hand to different styles. I take it you've heard of Fairport Convention, one of the foremost folk/rock bands from England?

Whateverman

Sounds interesting. You must be skilled if you can turn your hand to different styles. I take it you've heard of Fairport Convention, one of the foremost folk/rock bands from England?
I have, yes.

I'm honestly not that familiar with the variety of bands the genre encompasses. What I've found is that I recognize songs when I hear them, but I often don't know much beyond that. Chances are pretty good you could rattle off a bunch of folk singer names I wouldn't immediately recognize, only to have me claim "I know that" after hearing a bar or two...

SteveB

Noooooooo.....
What are you afraid of your friend learning?

Torin

Noooooooo.....
The Ark Encounter? Lol!

This is my favorite thread for a while.

Whateverman

He said they were visiting Ken Ham's installation. No chance over learning anything there, except possibly what an unprincipled ignorant charlatan Ken Ham is.
Your post started 10 minutes of me thinking about how ignorance was the perfect opportunity for education.

I decided to not start a discussion about it, because fundagelicals would likely reply with the converse (aka. education is often a source of ignorance). While this might betray their unawareness of the irony of such a claim, they wouldn't be wrong, either.

Temujin

Your post started 10 minutes of me thinking about how ignorance was the perfect opportunity for education.

I decided to not start a discussion about it, because fundagelicals would likely reply with the converse (aka. education is often a source of ignorance). While this might betray their unawareness of the irony of such a claim, they wouldn't be wrong, either.
Your post got me thinking about the difference between education, drawing out the ability to learn, and intrusion, stuffing in facts and pseudo facts. It is actually a well-known pedagogic conundrum discussed most famously in the Bildungsroman novel "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" by Muriel Sparks. Suffice to say that nothing at Ken Ham's establishment could be described as educational, except perhaps regarding the depths that some people will go to to con money out of the gullible.

Whateverman

Your post got me thinking about the difference between education, drawing out the ability to learn, and intrusion, stuffing in facts and pseudo facts. It is actually a well-known pedagogic conundrum discussed most famously in the Bildungsroman novel "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" by Muriel Sparks. Suffice to say that nothing at Ken Ham's establishment could be described as educational, except perhaps regarding the depths that some people will go to to con money out of the gullible.
That was a fun diversion. I'd never heard of the novel, and though the Wiki entry first made me think I wouldn't be interested in reading it, the plot description changed my mind.

Thanks for the interesting (and entirely relevant) reference...

Noooooooo.....
I would LOVE to go to the Ark museum. I am jealous.

That time ended for me when I was about 15. It's so weird seeing grown adults believing in creationism.
But these adults vote and have an impact on my world. I am obsessed with understanding how people could possibly not believe in evolution in 2021. I want to know why so many of my fellow Americans believe things with no need for evidence or proof.

And I can think of no better way than looking at a diorama of a man riding a dinosaur :)

Whateverman

But these adults vote and have an impact on my world. I am obsessed with understanding how people could possibly not believe in evolution in 2021. I want to know why so many of my fellow Americans believe things with no need for evidence or proof.

And I can think of no better way than looking at a diorama of a man riding a dinosaur :)
I draw a distinction between disliking the idea of visiting the place, and disapproving of the idea that people might have valid reasons for going there. The former is personal, and if I know someone and care about them, I might offer my opinion about whether they should go.

The latter is simply not me. I can recognize that it might be fun to go, and even a little educational, in terms of better understanding how fundamentalist Christians think. I talked to Nicky about what she could expect, but the worst my criticism of her decision to go got - was me teasing her a bit about it. She's a fun person (and intelligent), and I'd never argue that she shouldn't go. The same applies to you.

When I was a little younger, I was more able to see / connect-with the fun aspects of things like visiting Ark Encounters. Since then, I see such things (aka. the advocation of nonsense) as more hostile than I use to, and this ruins the possibility of fun. For me.

ps. I have a group of friends I do fun things with. I can imagine camping out in Kentucky for a week, getting a little silly on one of the days, and heading to Ark Encounters just to see what it's like. As adults, we will have had a few libations before entering, and though we'd be respectful of the other customers and the park employees (assuming they treated us the same way), our fun would be quiet; possibly involve a little giggling, but that'd be the worst. However, I know how I feel about YEC and Christian fundamentalism in general, and I know that if I spent too much time there, it would ruin the fun. For me. The whole thing is a literal-and-willful attempt to make people ignorant

ps. sorry for the soapbox.

5wize

Noooooooo.....
I did... It was fun. I actually bought the Adams Chart of History. It's a cool memento.

Temujin

I draw a distinction between disliking the idea of visiting the place, and disapproving of the idea that people might have valid reasons for going there. The former is personal, and if I know someone and care about them, I might offer my opinion about whether they should go.

The latter is simply not me. I can recognize that it might be fun to go, and even a little educational, in terms of better understanding how fundamentalist Christians think. I talked to Nicky about what she could expect, but the worst my criticism of her decision to go got - was me teasing her a bit about it. She's a fun person (and intelligent), and I'd never argue that she shouldn't go. The same applies to you.

When I was a little younger, I was more able to see / connect-with the fun aspects of things like visiting Ark Encounters. Since then, I see such things (aka. the advocation of nonsense) as more hostile than I use to, and this ruins the possibility of fun. For me.

ps. I have a group of friends I do fun things with. I can imagine camping out in Kentucky for a week, getting a little silly on one of the days, and heading to Ark Encounters just to see what it's like. As adults, we will have had a few libations before entering, and though we'd be respectful of the other customers and the park employees (assuming they treated us the same way), our fun would be quiet; possibly involve a little giggling, but that'd be the worst. However, I know how I feel about YEC and Christian fundamentalism in general, and I know that if I spent too much time there, it would ruin the fun. For me. The whole thing is a literal-and-willful attempt to make people ignorant

ps. sorry for the soapbox.
This is all very well, but in order to visit this "attraction" you have to give money to a conman. Also you will be counted in the visitor numbers that measure his success. A boycott by the sane is the best policy.

5wize

Me too. Been playing drums for 50 years...

5wize

This is all very well, but in order to visit this "attraction" you have to give money to a conman. Also you will be counted in the visitor numbers that measure his success. A boycott by the sane is the best policy.
It's dying it's own death. I think it's a worth a look see. I would go to all the places of my intellectual disdain. Notre Dame, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Naples, Italy and St. Janurius blood, etc.... It's like a ghost tour.