My daughter made a chicken tortilla soup that is to DIE for!

Bonnie

She made some from a youtube recipe video she watched on her Alexis thingee. It was outstanding. I also have a recipe for it, that I got in Texas many years ago, but this one is different and I like it better.

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons
    Olive Oil
    Medium White Onion (diced)
    Medium Red Bell Pepper (diced)
  • 5 cloves
    Garlic (minced)
  • 2 teaspoons
    Chili Powder
  • 1 teaspoon
    Ground Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon
    Paprika
  • 4 cups
    Chicken Broth
    Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 15 ounces cans
    Tomato Sauce (passata)
  • 15 ounces cans
    Fire (roasted diced tomatoes)
  • 15 ounces cans
    Black Beans
  • 7 ounces cans
    Green Chiles (diced)
  • 1 ½ cups
    Corn (frozen, or use canned)
  • ½ teaspoon
    Salt
  • ½ cup
    Cilantro (freshly chopped)
  • ¼ cup
    Lime Juice
  • 3 cups
    Tortilla Chips (or tortilla strips)
    Medium Avocados (diced)
  • 1 cup
    Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
  • ¼ cup
    Sour Cream

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in onion and bell pepper and saute' 5 minutes. Add in garlic, chili poweder, cumin, and paprika and toast for 60 seconds.

Pour in chicken broth, add in chicken breasts and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until chicken is cooked through.

Remove cooked chicken from soup, shred with a fork, and return to the pot.

Pour in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, green chiles, and corn. Return soup to a simmer and let simmer 5 minutes.

Turn off the heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt to taste. Serve hot, topped with tortilla strips, diced avocado, cheese, and sour cream. Serves 6.

My daughter had to tweak it a bit, using canned great white northern beans, instead of black beans, which is all she had on hand. My husband and I hate cilantro, so we didn't add that. I added avocado chunks, but my husband did not. Our daughter tore the tortilla chips into strips as well as she could, to add to the soup. And we used light sour cream, instead of full fat. One could also used reduced fat cheddar cheese, or even Kraft fat free shredded cheddar cheese, which actually melts quite well. I use it all the time for omelets, mini cheese souffles, and Tex-Mex dishes.

If anyone has a Kroger grocery store nearby, you can buy avocado chunks in their Private Selection brand, in the frozen food department, in the frozen fruit section. Just thaw and add to the soup, though you might want to add a bit of lime or lemon juice to the chunks, to prevent browning.

Oh, this was good! We had it twice as it waits very nicely in the fridge, and reheats easily. Just add the tortilla strips, sour cream, etc. after it is heated up.

You can cook this soup in the slow cooker, too. Just add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the lime and cilantro. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours. Shred the chicken and add lime juice and cilantro just before serving. And serve with tortilla chip, sour cream, and avocado chunks.

I
She made some from a youtube recipe video she watched on her Alexis thingee. It was outstanding. I also have a recipe for it, that I got in Texas many years ago, but this one is different and I like it better.

By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
It sounds yummy naturally I would have to alter some ingredients. We cannot buy avocado like that. You have so many more convenience stores in the states that we do.

Where did the "by your fruit, you will recognize them" come from, in the quote box? It wasn't in my post. 🤔 Odd...but yes, I know you would need to alter some ingredients. And you can just get regular avocados and use those. This one store is the only place I have ever seen frozen chunks of avocados. It is so much easier to use those, then wait for an avocado to ripen, then peel it and harvest the flesh, which is a messy business. Plus, one must sprinkle lemon juice or something similar on the remainder, then put it in a plastic bag then in the fridge.

Where did the "by your fruit, you will recognize them" come from, in the quote box? It wasn't in my post. 🤔 Odd...but yes, I know you would need to alter some ingredients. And you can just get regular avocados and use those. This one store is the only place I have ever seen frozen chunks of avocados. It is so much easier to use those, then wait for an avocado to ripen, then peel it and harvest the flesh, which is a messy business. Plus, one must sprinkle lemon juice or something similar on the remainder, then put it in a plastic bag then in the fridge.
Isn't by your fruit in my quote box? Not sure what you mean. Take that back I just read it. I have no idea whatsoever.

Yes I thought I could use a fresh avocado but I am amazed at the number of convenience things you have in the states - frozen grated potato etc.

Isn't by your fruit in my quote box? Not sure what you mean. Take that back I just read it. I have no idea whatsoever.

Yes I thought I could use a fresh avocado but I am amazed at the number of convenience things you have in the states - frozen grated potato etc.
Yeah, Americans are either too lazy, or just plain too busy, to do the prep work, so use these convenience foods. We can even get precooked bacon, which is ridiculous!

Grated potatoes are used to make hash browns, which are delicious if made with sautéed onions.

Yeah, Americans are either too lazy, or just plain too busy, to do the prep work, so use these convenience foods. We can even get precooked bacon, which is ridiculous!

Grated potatoes are used to make hash browns, which are delicious if made with sautéed onions.
I would love grated potatoes.

They are good. Grating them is pretty messy.
I often grate a finger or a nail. Completely stupid thing to do. But you are right it is messy. Kim got a grater from Aldi which is electric, the only problem is the shoot hole thing could be a little bigger.

Ah! But what a good idea, an electric grater. I have a food processor, which has a disc with holes in it, that can grate cheese and vegetables. It does take up some counter space, but we have room for it. I don't use it very often, though.

Ah! But what a good idea, an electric grater. I have a food processor, which has a disc with holes in it, that can grate cheese and vegetables. It does take up some counter space, but we have room for it. I don't use it very often, though.
Kim loves it, how food processor sits under the counter and it makes more of a mess. This grates things straight into the bowl you are going to use.

Back