My local atheist organization

SteveB

Do you have any experience with non - church based social groups?
It seems that if you've only experienced church, it would make sense that Gus' group "sounds like" church to you.
Do you have any other points of reference?
I've never had any interest in engaging people beyond the life I have.

So, why would I?

And yes. The college infinity society.

No coffee, no music, generally boring chatter.
They did have a state supreme court judge who came and spoke on the value of Morals apart from God's.

It's was a bust.
The judge spoke to the various issues associated with this issue and blew the professor out of the water.
The professor tried to rearrange the topic, but the damage to the atheist mindset in the club was done.

I was actually replaced by the professor shortly afterwards, because he didn't want me to further discuss the issues in future meetings.

After that I found myself increasingly occupied with other endeavors.

bigthinker

I've never had any interest in engaging people beyond the life I have.
I don't doubt that.
So, why would I?

And yes. The college infinity society.

No coffee, no music, generally boring chatter.
They did have a state supreme court judge who came and spoke on the value of Morals apart from God's.

It's was a bust.
The judge spoke to the various issues associated with this issue and blew the professor out of the water.
The professor tried to rearrange the topic, but the damage to the atheist mindset in the club was done.

I was actually replaced by the professor shortly afterwards, because he didn't want me to further discuss the issues in future meetings.

After that I found myself increasingly occupied with other endeavors.
Social interaction isn't your thing?

Towerwatchman

Here’s a bit of an introduction to the local atheist organization to which I belong. I’m going to keep some details private in order to protect the guilty. If there is anything you’d like to know, ask away, but I may decline to answer for privacy.

My local atheist group formed in 2010 as a 501c3 non-profit. We officially have nearly 700 members (getting to 666 members was a bit of a celebration), but most of them don’t participate, and have merely clicked on a membership button as an expression of solidarity. At our biggest event we usually get 30 people. We have board of directors who do nearly all the work necessary to make the activities of the organization happen.

Our activities include
social events
guest speakers
book & video discussions
community service
action on local issues of church/state separation

I’ve mentioned our farmers’ market booth, which is our most regular and long-standing event.

At first, any interaction with the public in which we were identified as atheists was a little fraught, given public opinion about atheists. Since then, both the public and we have gotten a bit used to the idea of atheists being open about it. We had T-shirts made up pretty early on with the organization’s name on the front, and an inviting atheist slogan on the back, and I recall trepidation wearing it when, say, going to the grocery store. Not at all now, though.

One of the big philosophical issues we dealt with as an organization was how snarky we were going to present ourselves in public; for example, how snarky would the buttons be that we sell at farmers’ market (picture of church steeple with the text, “Warning, May Contain Nuts”). We also had to decide how much science and skepticism would be a part of the identity of the organization, as opposed to merely being atheist for any reason. I’m not going to state here how we decided those issues.

We do not have physical location, but are able to use the very nice space of another local, supportive non-profit. We stopped in-person events once the pandemic kicked in, and haven’t really started in-person events yet because the non-profit who lets us use their space has limitations on how many people can gather inside their building that don’t really work for us.
It sounds like church. And why not.

All the following are supernatural events [miracles] that Atheist takes by faith.
The universe popping into existence from nothing by nothing, complex and specified information arising from non-intelligence, species A evolving into species B, a non-entity that is identified as natural, [is not natural] and somehow always makes the right selection but lacks the ability to select.
The Atheist deity is “the multi verse” which possesses the attributes of omnipotent, eternal, and omniscient.

Love to be present to listen to worship songs.

bigthinker

It sounds like church. And why not.

All the following are supernatural events [miracles] that Atheist takes by faith.
The universe popping into existence from nothing by nothing, complex and specified information arising from non-intelligence, species A evolving into species B, a non-entity that is identified as natural, [is not natural] and somehow always makes the right selection but lacks the ability to select.
There is no evidence. no reason to think these natural events have or had supernatural causes.
So far, we have zero examples of ANY natural effects being caused supernaturally.
The Atheist deity is “the multi verse” which possesses the attributes of omnipotent, eternal, and omniscient.
There is no atheist deity.

To characterize it that way is to handicap your own understanding of atheism.

Towerwatchman

There is no evidence. no reason to think these natural events have or had supernatural causes.
So far, we have zero examples of ANY natural effects being caused supernaturally.

There is no atheist deity.

To characterize it that way is to handicap your own understanding of atheism.
Well let's start with one. If the universe came from Nothing by nothing through nothing how is that possible? Think about it, describe nothing, you can't every time you do you're describing something.

Nouveau

Well let's start with one. If the universe came from Nothing by nothing through nothing how is that possible? Think about it, describe nothing, you can't every time you do you're describing something.
The correct use of 'nothing' is as a negation of the existential quantifier (i.e. It is not the case that there exists some X such that Fx).

So the universe only came from nothing in the same sense that your God did.

Whatsisface

Well if you're an atheist feel free to share. Let's start with the universe where did it come from?
This is a naive question, no one knows where the universe came from or more accurately, why there is something rather than nothing, as you should well know. The problem for you is, this isn't evidence that any God is responsble.

"Why there is something rather than nothing" is more accurate because as Nouveau pointed out, the universe might not have come from at all.

Last edited:

Towerwatchman

This is a naive question, no one knows where the universe came from or more accuratley, why there is something rather than nothing, as you should well know. The problem for you is, this isn't evidence that any God is responsble.

"Why there is something rather than nothing" is more accurate because as Nouveau pointed out, the universe might not have come from at all.
I'm not arguing for the existence of God. I simply pointed out the absurdity of atheist worldview.
Everything that comes into existence comes Into assistants by something else, simple cause-and-effect. If the universe came into existence what is the cause?
It could not be nothing because from nothing comes nothing .Now if you don't know that's fine, but you can't speak for everybody else

Nouveau

I'm not arguing for the existence of God. I simply pointed out the absurdity of atheist worldview.
Everything that comes into existence comes Into assistants by something else, simple cause-and-effect. If the universe came into existence what is the cause?
It could not be nothing because from nothing comes nothing .Now if you don't know that's fine, but you can't speak for everybody else
Again, who says the universe came into "assistants"?

Nouveau

The second law of Thermodynamics proves that the Universe came into existence. So I would say science states that the Universe came into existence.
2LOT does nothing of the sort. You should learn the difference between the universe having a beginning and having come into existence. Those are not the same. Again, the universe need only have 'come from nothing' in the same sense that your God did.

Towerwatchman

2LOT does nothing of the sort. You should learn the difference between the universe having a beginning and having come into existence. Those are not the same. Again, the universe need only have 'come from nothing' in the same sense that your God did.
You seem to want to drag God into this discussion so we shall discuss it. I said everything that comes into existence owes its existence to something else . Following the Christian narrative God is eternal always existed, so your promise does not apply.

What's the difference between the universe coming into existence in the universe having a beginning?