NASA delivers first JWST image

inertia

One can't escape the gravitational lensing in this ultra far-field image, and there is a lot of data to be unpacked and analyzed for the many forthcoming scientific papers.

Discovery - hot off of the proverbial grill

___

Eightcrackers

Been looking at the first few images, just amazing. Love the side by side comparison with previous Hubble images.
Yeah - it crushed Hubble on its first try, and it's not even working at max chat yet.

Shame about that particle impact... that mirror might be out of the game permanently😥

inertia

Yeah - it crushed Hubble on its first try, and it's not even working at max chat yet.

Shame about that particle impact... that mirror might be out of the game permanently😥

Yes, and the engineering team designed performance margin into its opto-mechanical, thermal, and electrical components long before technicians were at the obtaining beryllium stage. So far, there have been four micrometeoroid impacts that I am aware of that were all within the design specifications of the JWST and the telescope's optical performance continues to exceed expectations.

Space is an unforgiving environment.

- Cosmic charged particles ( our host star, and galactic in origin )
- Ultraviolet radiation
- micrometeoroids
- temperature extremes

___

Cisco Qid

Yes, and the engineering team designed performance margin into its opto-mechanical, thermal, and electrical components long before technicians were at the obtaining beryllium stage. So far, there have been four micrometeoroid impacts that I am aware of that were all within the design specifications of the JWST and the telescope's optical performance continues to exceed expectations.

Space is an unforgiving environment.

- Cosmic charged particles ( our host star, and galactic in origin )
- Ultraviolet radiation
- micrometeoroids
- temperature extremes

___
Any room in there for x-ray and gamma rays which are extinguished by the earth's atmosphere.

CrowCross

NASA revealed a micrometeoroid caused "significant uncorrectable damage" to JWST's mirror segment known as C3, one of the 18 beryllium-gold tiles that make up the telescope's 6.5-meter wide primary reflector, in late May. article

inertia

Any room in there for x-ray and gamma rays which are extinguished by the earth's atmosphere.

I would be surprised if they did nothing. At a minimum the models should have provided an uncertainty analysis with a back-up plan.

___

Cisco Qid

I would be surprised if they did nothing. At a minimum the models should have provided an uncertainty analysis with a back-up plan.

___
With the amazing engineering that went into its success, I would be surprised too. Of course putting all those other satellites including Gaia which also had a Lagrangian L2 orbit helped.