New Creatures or Same Old Sinners?

Janice Bower

Why do some people think our freedom in Christ means we go on sinning?

2 Corinthians 5

11Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences. 12For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart. 13For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause. 14For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

16Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. 17Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 18And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

20Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

I see many, many verses that describe a visible difference between a Christian and a non-Christian. By their fruits....

Well, if one believes that Christians are perfect (some do, I guess) there are verses that that tell me otherwise. We are being conformed to the image of Christ, are we not?

John 1
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

"and In him is no darkness at at all"

"lead us not into temptation" Doesn't this sound like a plea for help?

I don't know if we should take the word of a drunk or prostitute that he/she is a Christian and in practically in the same breath defends walking in darkness. What do you people think?

No one, but God alone, knows the heart. In either case (if they are a Christian or not) I would focus on God's love, holiness and justice - as well as their need for repentance.

I don't know if we should take the word of a drunk or prostitute that he/she is a Christian and in practically in the same breath defends walking in darkness. What do you people think?

James 2:18 says, " But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." Faith alone saves but faith that saves is not alone.

There are many who teach a false faith that doesn't produce works and as a result there are many who believe they are Christians but who are still lost.

James 2:18 says, " But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." Faith alone saves but faith that saves is not alone.

There are many who teach a false faith that doesn't produce works and as a result there are many who believe they are Christians but who are still lost.
We don't go looking for works to do. Works will find you.

Ephesians 2:10

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,

which God prepared in advance for us to do.

You will find yourself doing them not even knowing they are works many times. It will seem as a normal part of your life.

If you have been faithful, and always growing in the knowledge of God's Word? Being matured in faith? You will do them well and pleasing to the Lord.

On the other hand.. Following a religious organization's prescribed list of works for all to do? That is like a wife allowing her husband to have sex with her out of a sense of duty, even though there is no real love. Its doing what's right in a wrong way.

The people James wrote to were not looking for works to do. Were they? The works that were needing to be done found them.

It can be different works for all of us. Unique to our own calling and design. For, God prepared in advance the works for us to do. No man should be prescribing what works we all need to do.

God did not spare us... Its supposed to initially cause confusion.

One reason God gave us the truth about the Trinity was so we can recognize who is, and is not, truly one with us.

God did not spare us... Its supposed to initially cause confusion.

One reason God gave us the truth about the Trinity was so we can recognize who is, and is not, truly one with us.

a lot of truth in that.

I don't know why Carm stopped sending notifications to my email. I had a lot going on and got lots of email, but no notifications that anyone had responded to this thread! As a result, I forgot where and when I posted this!

Who teaches that sin is OK?
People I know who attend church regularly and claim that ... possibly because they have a different standard of what is actually sin or because they don't want to struggle with an addiction to sin. IDK.

People I know who attend church regularly and claim that ... possibly because they have a different standard of what is actually sin or because they don't want to struggle with an addiction to sin. IDK.
I seem to remember a preacher on TV saying there was no sin but I ld have to look him up.

Back