Nine out of 10 Illinois sheriffs WILL NOT ENFORCE new gun law

If moral were the same as legal, all immoral behaviour would be illegal, and all illegal behaviour would be immoral.

Neither of those is true.

Laws are the morals that society wants to be imposed.
Who decides whats immoral?

Exactly. The state imposes morality on the rest of us your opinion be dammed.

Who decides whats immoral?
Nobody decides what is moral - I don't believe there is such a thing.

Everybody decides what they consider to be moral.
Exactly. The state imposes morality on the rest of us your opinion be dammed.
I'm afraid that some opinions are going to be thwarted by the law - rapists want rape to be legal? Tough.

Some laws go against my opinion. That's the price you pay for living in a democracy.

Nobody decides what is moral - I don't believe there is such a thing.

Everybody decides what they consider to be moral.

I'm afraid that some opinions are going to be thwarted by the law - rapists want rape to be legal? Tough.

Some laws go against my opinion. That's the price you pay for living in a democracy.
There is no such thing as morality?

There is, IMO, no such thing as morality independent of opinion.

When asked "is X moral?", I can only interpret this as a solicitation of opinion.
So there are 8 billion different standards of morality.

You could reference your opinion or, of course the almighty state.

DING!

What do we have for him, Johnny? ?

The state doesn't tell me what's moral.
Only what's legal.

Drug use is illegal, that doesn't force me to consider it immoral.
So you are appealing to self interest. Morality is at the very least.... a social construct. Individual morality is ridiculous. Such an argument finds no place in social constructs and you're referencing social constructs.

So morality is relative I take it?
Depends what you mean by relative.
Is there any circumstance where I would consider the Holocaust to be moral? I can't think of one, so it is "absolute" within my moral system.

Was the Holocaust immoral, despite what anybody might think? I see no way to answer that.

Depends what you mean by relative.
Is there any circumstance where I would consider the Holocaust to be moral? I can't think of one, so it is "absolute" within my moral system.

Was the Holocaust immoral, despite what anybody might think? I see no way to answer that.
There are absolutes in your moral system?

Back