No debate; just asking.

imJRR

I'm not against the study of eschatology, but here is my question - Please take this as a survey and not an invitation to debate!

Regardless of what belief (or theory) you or I may subscribe to, does it change our...I'll use the term "job description" as Christians to be faithful disciples and witnesses of Christ? What I mean is - Would you agree/disagree that things like learning to let go of a resentment/grudge and forgiving someone, or practicing the "one-anothers" of the New Testament, or learning some basic Christian apologetics, or learning "How to have a comfortable sharing your faith conversation" are maybe more important?

Please bear with me - I'm only on my first cup of coffee, and I'm not sure I'm being clear. I'm asking this because over the last year I've encountered some Christians (and the number seems to be growing) who are REALLY into studying eschatology, but I think they could maybe use some development in the areas I'm mentioning FIRST. Honest, I'm really, REALLY trying to NOT be judgmental when I say this. But it's kind of disturbing.

I'd say that no, eschatological studies should not change our "job description". However, these studies can be enticing, almost a form of secret knowledge regarding the future. And anyway, studying "last days" matters is a lot easier than forgiving someone who wronged you!
So maybe the fact that the Sermon on the Mount comes way before the Olivet Discourse should be taken into consideration? ?

--Rich

Regardless of what belief (or theory) you or I may subscribe to, does it change our...I'll use the term "job description" as Christians to be faithful disciples and witnesses of Christ?

No. But it would affect what you thought “her” in this verse refers to...

Revelation 18:4... And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

The Reformation occurred in part because the Reformers thought “her” referred to the Roman Catholic Church.

And who you think “her” refers to will affect what you instruct others.

I think you bring up a vital reminder JRR and I find when conversing especially one on one with people who become contentious over disputable theological matters it's more effective to say in a timely way 'Well I'm still working on keeping the first commandment' .. which I truly am.

Seems like too much in depth study tends to cloud over the most vital basics like The kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

Psa 131:1 O LORD, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. 2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.

Luk 18:17 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

I view as more disturbing: how the majority of Christians ignore and dismiss the Prophetic Word.
Pastors never, [extremely rarely] preach on Prophecy and Christiam people generally have very little knowledge of what God has planned for our future.
This is tantamount to saying to God; I can't be bothered to study and try to understand Your warnings to us thru the Prophets.

The cause of this problem can be found in scripture:
Isaiah 29:9-12 tells us that people who confuse themselves, by belief in false theories and doctrines, will be locked into them and Jesus said that the knowledge of the Prophesies is hidden from the wise and learned. Matthew 11:25

So it is difficult, but prayerful study with an open mind can lead to the correct understanding. If we don't know the truth, then it will only be AFTER the terrible Day the Lord sends His fiery wrath, that eyes will be opened and ears unstopped. Revelation 2:3, Isaiah 29:18, Isaiah 35:4-5

Some of us are called to study Biblical eschatology. I know beyond any doubt that I am. And I've bee at it for 44 years and am still learning and have no plans to stop until the rapture!

Some of us are called to study Biblical eschatology. I know beyond any doubt that I am. And I've bee at it for 44 years and am still learning and have no plans to stop until the rapture!
I really like your Avatar Arkycharlie and think we can all appreciate those who are devoted in exploring the treasures and mysteries in scripture that edify and reveal in a charitable spirit.

I view as more disturbing: how the majority of Christians ignore and dismiss the Prophetic Word.
Pastors never, [extremely rarely] preach on Prophecy and Christiam people generally have very little knowledge of what God has planned for our future.
This is tantamount to saying to God; I can't be bothered to study and try to understand Your warnings to us thru the Prophets.

The cause of this problem can be found in scripture:
Isaiah 29:9-12 tells us that people who confuse themselves, by belief in false theories and doctrines, will be locked into them and Jesus said that the knowledge of the Prophesies is hidden from the wise and learned. Matthew 11:25

So it is difficult, but prayerful study with an open mind can lead to the correct understanding. If we don't know the truth, then it will only be AFTER the terrible Day the Lord sends His fiery wrath, that eyes will be opened and ears unstopped. Revelation 2:3, Isaiah 29:18, Isaiah 35:4-5
Seem to be a great many conflicting speculations that can get overheated to no good purpose here at times though.

No. But it would affect what you thought “her” in this verse refers to...

Revelation 18:4... And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

The Reformation occurred in part because the Reformers thought “her” referred to the Roman Catholic Church.

And who you think “her” refers to will affect what you instruct others.
her is mystery babylon in the other world…
which rcc as institution and others on this earth
subscribe to

I'm not against the study of eschatology, but here is my question - Please take this as a survey and not an invitation to debate!

Regardless of what belief (or theory) you or I may subscribe to, does it change our...I'll use the term "job description" as Christians to be faithful disciples and witnesses of Christ? What I mean is - Would you agree/disagree that things like learning to let go of a resentment/grudge and forgiving someone, or practicing the "one-anothers" of the New Testament, or learning some basic Christian apologetics, or learning "How to have a comfortable sharing your faith conversation" are maybe more important?

Please bear with me - I'm only on my first cup of coffee, and I'm not sure I'm being clear. I'm asking this because over the last year I've encountered some Christians (and the number seems to be growing) who are REALLY into studying eschatology, but I think they could maybe use some development in the areas I'm mentioning FIRST. Honest, I'm really, REALLY trying to NOT be judgmental when I say this. But it's kind of disturbing.
We are to be about our Father's business. I believe each eschatological viewpoint does impact how we carry out our Father's business... As does the various soteriologies...

Your right. I myself spend to much time debating on forums. Sometimes I have to get away from the debating and just read some. I enjoyed reading your post.

Back