No one can come to me...

preacher4truth

The fact the only time the bible speaks of the spirit filling anyone

the reference was to a prophet, leader or king

and prophesies of a general filling were eschatological in nature fulfilled in the new covenant

example Ezek 36; Joel 2

as I have noted a number of times now

but it appears you ignored it
Sorry

Nope, no ignoring here.

Where is the verse that says OT filling

was only for service.

You have another post

to answer as well.

Hello

r

G

guest1

and prophesies of a general filling were eschatological in nature fulfilled in the new covenant

example Ezek 36; Joel 2

but it appears you ignored it
He spoke through a donkey , so what ?

It doesn’t make your case for Saul .

next

T

TomFL

How can Civic ever fail??
Easy he failed to read

thus he misconstrued the argument

T

TomFL

Sorry

Nope, no ignoring here.

Where is the verse that says OT filling

was only for service.

You have another post

to answer as well.

Hello

r
Yeah you are ignoring the evidence and did not deal with the argument

example Ezek 36; Joel 2

He spoke through a donkey , so what ?

It doesn’t make your case for Saul .

next

so ?

Are you arguing the donkey was filled with the spirit

The Spirit then departed from the donkey

what is your point ?

It does not appear to have any relevancy

preacher4truth

Yeah you are ignoring the evidence and did not deal with the argument

example Ezek 36; Joel 2

so ?

Are you arguing the donkey was filled with the spirit

The Spirit then departed from the donkey

what is your point ?

It does not appear to have any relevancy
Sorry

Nothing but rhetoric.

You can't answer.

Where's your verse?

Hello

ReverendRV

I've studied it many times. What specifically do you want me to focus upon?

The Calvinist argument is that God, through His Infinite Power, overpowers and brings men to Himself.

It is simple argument. Nothing complex at all about it.

The problem is.... that if the writer wanted to express that fact, he could have used a Greek work that expresses just that fact. The writer didn't. Other writers did use that same Greek word to express an overpowering event.

How is that for understanding the Scriptures? What did I get wrong?
Do you not believe in Total Depravity?

ReverendRV

Probably about 90 to 95 percent of how you would view it. There is innate Light in the Gospel message. There innate Light in God's creation. Anyone can see this "Light". Jesus Christ is the "Light of the world". Our message is Him. Unregenerate man can respond to such Light. Calvinist take things a little too far relative to inability.
We probably don't agree at all; read this...

I think several good points can be made against Arminianism, and the lesser Soteriological views. An Arminian can say that Circumcision of the Heart is after Faith and get away with it; but he can't get away with saying Circumcision of the Ears happens after Faith. And I would say that both Circumcisions are the same act with two names, making them both prevenient to Faith; an Act which actually changes our Totally Depraved Nature. Illumination doesn't change the Acuity of our Vision, so we are still Blind in our Depravity; no matter how bright the Light of God shines in our eyes. If he says God's Illumination DOES heal our Visual Acuity; we ARE Regenerated before Belief in the Truth...

Adhering to Total Depravity makes this impossible to deny. A Traditionalist can deny it more easily because they deny Total Depravity...

ReverendRV

As I've told you before, you are basing your theology on the argument between two flawed systems. In doing so, you are destined for problems. The arguments you make are framed for you by others that begin with less than perfect material. Garbage in. Garbage out.

I'll give you an example of what I believe.

Have you ever known a blind person? I have known a few in my life. There is a difference between those who are blind and those who've had their eyes completely removed.

Most blind people can see the tiniest bites of light. They know the difference between complete darkness and a glimpse of light. They can tell where the light is coming from. They get some sense of direction from even the smallest supply of light.

Those who had they eyes removed, are entirely different. There is NOTHING.

You're making an argument that ignores many many Scriptures that detail God's witnesses that still exist to all of humanity.
Then you don't believe in Total Depravity, and are a Semi-Pelagian/Provisionist...

You would say your Visual Acuity does not change when God's Illumination changes/increases. You would hold to Nominal Depravity instead of Total Depravity...

ReverendRV

Brother, those are man made less than adequate distinctions. Total depravity doesn't teach that the natural man is devoid of eyes.

Tell me, was that dead man you claim to have once been just a speck of dirt? Or was it an actual body devoid of life? Adam was full formed before God breathed into his fully formed lungs and gave him life.....

You really haven't begun to establish your theology properly.
I say it like this; we're Soulishly Alive but we're Spiritually Dead. So we do have eyes; and we don't have eyes...

It's getting kind of late to get deep...

Ladodgers6

I've studied it many times. What specifically do you want me to focus upon?
By what you say, obvious you have no clue, what it entails. I'll prove my point, please explain for us, what Calvinism teaches? And what have you studies MANY times? From 3rd party google articles? Or did you do the heavy lifting and researched it by reading the actual authors of Calvinism?
The Calvinist argument is that God, through His Infinite Power, overpowers and brings men to Himself.
No mention of God's Grace at all, right? Just that God coerces people into heaven kicking & screaming against their Libertarian Free-Wills, correct?
It is simple argument. Nothing complex at all about it.
So let ask you this. Which religious camp do you hold to?
The problem is.... that if the writer wanted to express that fact, he could have used a Greek work that expresses just that fact. The writer didn't. Other writers did use that same Greek word to express an overpowering event.

How is that for understanding the Scriptures? What did I get wrong?
If people can do it themselves, then why do they need God? Surely in your theology man tells God what do, and when to do it, right? People are not in bondage to sin, and not under the curse of Law, correct? So why do they need Christ? Sinners possess the power to resist God's power, is this correct? There is no novelty in your theology, it has already been debated by the greatest minds in Christendom. You think you present something new? This is why I think you have no idea of what you are talking about. Do you even know how, the 5 points of TULIP came about?

T

TomFL

Are you going to keep ignoring David?

Psa 139:7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
Psa 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
Psa 139:9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Psa 139:10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
Psa 139:11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
Psa 139:12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
Psa 139:13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

I thought you said it was only for service? This doesn't describe events only relative to service?
There is not a word there about indwelling

This was pointed out to you previously

God was with men in the old covenant but his dwelling place was in the temple

In the new covenant the temple is destroyed and believers are his dwelling place

T

TomFL

So was Elizabeth (Luke 1:41) "a prophet, leader or king"?

Was everyone in Ephesus (Eph. 5:18) "a prophet, leader or king"?
Eph 5:18 ?

Ephesians 5:18 (KJV)
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

this is in the new covenant

Luke 1:41

John the Baptist the babe in her womb was filled with the spirit from birth

that is where Elizabeth received the Spirit

neither of these two verses do anything to establish old covenant believers were normally indwelt by the Spirit other than in the sense already noted

T

TomFL

Sorry

Nothing but rhetoric.

You can't answer.

Where's your verse?

Hello
Again Ezek 36:4-36 and Joel 2:28-31 show that the indwelling pouring out of the spirit was future

Hello

read

Also the fact Jesus had to go away and be glorified before all would be filled with the Spirit

John 7:39 (KJV)
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

John 16:7 (KJV)
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

T

TomFL

Y

TomFL said:
You quoted a verse that did not speak of Abraham or the old covenant era

as I already noted

the promise of the spirit was future to Abraham in the old covenant era

again Ezekiel 36; Joel 2 Jeremiah 31 were all future promises in the old covenant era
You don't need to keep repeating what you've already said as if it is an answer.

Sorry but it is an answer

The promise of indwelling was future

Ezek 36:4-38

The outpouring of the Spirit upon all flesh - future

Joel 2:28-31

The Spirit awaited Christs departure and glorification

John 7:39 (ESV)
39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

John 16:7 (KJV)
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

TomFL said:
Why because you don't have one nor does one appear anywhere in the bible ?

Should we ignore the fact that John told us the spirits coming was dependant upon Christ departure and glorification ?
I've already explained that to Peanut. I'll do it again.

The Spirit of God was confined to Jesus Christ after Christ was baptized. Jesus said that it was important for Him to go away so the Spirit could return. The Spirit of God was confined to the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ. Study it yourself and forget about what you've been told.

Oh so you imagine the Spirit was not omnipresent ?

and bound up

Sorry that dog does not hunt

TomFL said:
Faith pleases God Heb 11
It sure does but faith GROWS. It is essential for FAITH TO GROW. The only way faith grows is through the Spirit of God's work in our lives. It was no different for Abraham than it is for us.

You still have not shown that the Spirits indwelling was necessary for God to be pleased
TomFL said:
In the flesh refers to a carnal mind

Romans 8:7 (KJV)
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

a mind that seeks only earthly pleasures
The verses I quoted detail that those that are carnal minded are those that are absent the Spirit of God. Abraham was not carnal minded because he possessed the Spirit of God.

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Sorry that is an assumption

According to your thinking all whom lived during the time of Christ's indwelling and the Spirit's being shut up to all but Christ would have had to have been carnally minded

Your theology refutes itself

T

TomFL

So was the Spirit riding on David's back or something? How did David reference the Spirit being with him and not be in him?

With is not in

I should not have to inform you of that
You do know that the temple was torn down multiple times in the OT. Where did the Spirit go then? Also, Abraham never had a "temple". Nor did Israel for a very long time. You need to deal with all of these issues and more.

I'm going to stop right here and wait for your response.
Read Ezek that is the exact situation being discussed

Ezekiel 36:1-38 (KJV)
1 Also, thou son of man, prophesy unto the mountains of Israel, and say, Ye mountains of Israel, hear the word of the LORD:
2 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because the enemy hath said against you, Aha, even the ancient high places are ours in possession:
3 Therefore prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because they have made you desolate, and swallowed you up on every side, that ye might be a possession unto the residue of the heathen, and ye are taken up in the lips of talkers, and are an infamy of the people:
4 Therefore, ye mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord GOD; Thus saith the Lord GOD to the mountains, and to the hills, to the rivers, and to the valleys, to the desolate wastes, and to the cities that are forsaken, which became a prey and derision to the residue of the heathen that are round about;
5 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Surely in the fire of my jealousy have I spoken against the residue of the heathen, and against all Idumea, which have appointed my land into their possession with the joy of all their heart, with despiteful minds, to cast it out for a prey.
6 Prophesy therefore concerning the land of Israel, and say unto the mountains, and to the hills, to the rivers, and to the valleys, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I have spoken in my jealousy and in my fury, because ye have borne the shame of the heathen:
7 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; I have lifted up mine hand, Surely the heathen that are about you, they shall bear their shame.
8 But ye, O mountains of Israel, ye shall shoot forth your branches, and yield your fruit to my people of Israel; for they are at hand to come.
9 For, behold, I am for you, and I will turn unto you, and ye shall be tilled and sown:
10 And I will multiply men upon you, all the house of Israel, even all of it: and the cities shall be inhabited, and the wastes shall be builded:
11 And I will multiply upon you man and beast; and they shall increase and bring fruit: and I will settle you after your old estates, and will do better unto you than at your beginnings: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
12 Yea, I will cause men to walk upon you, even my people Israel; and they shall possess thee, and thou shalt be their inheritance, and thou shalt no more henceforth bereave them of men.
13 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because they say unto you, Thou land devourest up men, and hast bereaved thy nations;
14 Therefore thou shalt devour men no more, neither bereave thy nations any more, saith the Lord GOD.
15 Neither will I cause men to hear in thee the shame of the heathen any more, neither shalt thou bear the reproach of the people any more, neither shalt thou cause thy nations to fall any more, saith the Lord GOD.
16 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
17 Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their own way and by their doings: their way was before me as the uncleanness of a removed woman.
18 Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it:
19 And I scattered them among the heathen, and they were dispersed through the countries: according to their way and according to their doings I judged them.
20 And when they entered unto the heathen, whither they went, they profaned my holy name, when they said to them, These are the people of the LORD, and are gone forth out of his land.
21 But I had pity for mine holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the heathen, whither they went.
22 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.
23 And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.
24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.
25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.
29 I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you.
30 And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall receive no more reproach of famine among the heathen.
31 Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.
32 Not for your sakes do I this, saith the Lord GOD, be it known unto you: be ashamed and confounded for your own ways, O house of Israel.
33 Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day that I shall have cleansed you from all your iniquities I will also cause you to dwell in the cities, and the wastes shall be builded.
34 And the desolate land shall be tilled, whereas it lay desolate in the sight of all that passed by.
35 And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited.
36 Then the heathen that are left round about you shall know that I the LORD build the ruined places, and plant that that was desolate: I the LORD have spoken it, and I will do it.
37 Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them; I will increase them with men like a flock.
38 As the holy flock, as the flock of Jerusalem in her solemn feasts; so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of men: and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Ezek prophies of a future time when the spirit of God would dwell in them

Here is a quote from the electronic resource

God's indwelling presense The Holy Spirit in the old covenant and the new

The third section examines the new covenant promised in Jeremiah 31 and Ezekiel 36.5 Both prophets ministered at a time when the covenant had been broken. Jeremiah faced the destruction of the temple, and Ezekiel saw the glory of God abandon it. Both speak of a time when God will remedy this situation. Jeremiah promises a new medium on which the law will be written; Ezekiel promises a rebuilt temple and a return of God’s Spirit. These passages present the indwelling or “pouring out” of the Holy Spirit as an eschatological blessing for each believer.6 They give no indication that old covenant believers were indwelt, because their intention is to describe what will become a reality under the new covenant.

Though the Spirit was not in Old Testament saints, He was with them. God was with them by dwelling in the tabernacle and then the temple, which made the place lovely (Ps 84:1 [Hb. 84:2]).
God’s Dwelling Place
The Old Testament conceives of God as being present with His old covenant people by dwelling in the tabernacle and later the temple.36 Chapter six will show that these concepts are foundational to the New Testament teaching that believers in Jesus are the new temple, which is to say they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
The Tabernacle. Yahweh declared to Moses, “let them make for Me a sanctuary that I may dwell among them” (Exod 25:8). In this statement God expresses His desire to be sought and found at a particular place, and He commands that His dwelling place be prepared.37 He will dwell in the tent the Israelites make for Him. Prior to this statement about the tabernacle, earlier references to God’s house (Gen 28:17; Exod 23:19), mountain (Exod 4:17), or sanctuary (Exod 15:17) indicate that though God cannot be geographically bound,38 there were certain places where He could be met (see Num 17:4). When the tabernacle was complete and Yahweh’s glory filled it (Exod 40:34–38), all these various ways that God’s presence was communicated came together.39 In a real sense, “The purpose for the exodus from Egypt was so God could dwell in the midst of His people. The coming of God’s glorious presence into the newly constructed tabernacle forms the climax of the Book of Exodus (40:34).”40
Yahweh’s residence among His people in the tabernacle not only provided them with access to His presence,

T

TomFL

With is not in

I should not have to inform you of that

Read Ezek that is the exact situation being discussed

Ezekiel 36:1-38 (KJV)
1 Also, thou son of man, prophesy unto the mountains of Israel, and say, Ye mountains of Israel, hear the word of the LORD:
2 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because the enemy hath said against you, Aha, even the ancient high places are ours in possession:
3 Therefore prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because they have made you desolate, and swallowed you up on every side, that ye might be a possession unto the residue of the heathen, and ye are taken up in the lips of talkers, and are an infamy of the people:
4 Therefore, ye mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord GOD; Thus saith the Lord GOD to the mountains, and to the hills, to the rivers, and to the valleys, to the desolate wastes, and to the cities that are forsaken, which became a prey and derision to the residue of the heathen that are round about;
5 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Surely in the fire of my jealousy have I spoken against the residue of the heathen, and against all Idumea, which have appointed my land into their possession with the joy of all their heart, with despiteful minds, to cast it out for a prey.
6 Prophesy therefore concerning the land of Israel, and say unto the mountains, and to the hills, to the rivers, and to the valleys, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I have spoken in my jealousy and in my fury, because ye have borne the shame of the heathen:
7 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; I have lifted up mine hand, Surely the heathen that are about you, they shall bear their shame.
8 But ye, O mountains of Israel, ye shall shoot forth your branches, and yield your fruit to my people of Israel; for they are at hand to come.
9 For, behold, I am for you, and I will turn unto you, and ye shall be tilled and sown:
10 And I will multiply men upon you, all the house of Israel, even all of it: and the cities shall be inhabited, and the wastes shall be builded:
11 And I will multiply upon you man and beast; and they shall increase and bring fruit: and I will settle you after your old estates, and will do better unto you than at your beginnings: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
12 Yea, I will cause men to walk upon you, even my people Israel; and they shall possess thee, and thou shalt be their inheritance, and thou shalt no more henceforth bereave them of men.
13 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because they say unto you, Thou land devourest up men, and hast bereaved thy nations;
14 Therefore thou shalt devour men no more, neither bereave thy nations any more, saith the Lord GOD.
15 Neither will I cause men to hear in thee the shame of the heathen any more, neither shalt thou bear the reproach of the people any more, neither shalt thou cause thy nations to fall any more, saith the Lord GOD.
16 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
17 Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, they defiled it by their own way and by their doings: their way was before me as the uncleanness of a removed woman.
18 Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it:
19 And I scattered them among the heathen, and they were dispersed through the countries: according to their way and according to their doings I judged them.
20 And when they entered unto the heathen, whither they went, they profaned my holy name, when they said to them, These are the people of the LORD, and are gone forth out of his land.
21 But I had pity for mine holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the heathen, whither they went.
22 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.
23 And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.
24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.
25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.
29 I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you.
30 And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall receive no more reproach of famine among the heathen.
31 Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.
32 Not for your sakes do I this, saith the Lord GOD, be it known unto you: be ashamed and confounded for your own ways, O house of Israel.
33 Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day that I shall have cleansed you from all your iniquities I will also cause you to dwell in the cities, and the wastes shall be builded.
34 And the desolate land shall be tilled, whereas it lay desolate in the sight of all that passed by.
35 And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited.
36 Then the heathen that are left round about you shall know that I the LORD build the ruined places, and plant that that was desolate: I the LORD have spoken it, and I will do it.
37 Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them; I will increase them with men like a flock.
38 As the holy flock, as the flock of Jerusalem in her solemn feasts; so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of men: and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Ezek prophies of a future time when the spirit of God would dwell in them

Here is a quote from the electronic resource

God's indwelling presense The Holy Spirit in the old covenant and the new

The third section examines the new covenant promised in Jeremiah 31 and Ezekiel 36.5 Both prophets ministered at a time when the covenant had been broken. Jeremiah faced the destruction of the temple, and Ezekiel saw the glory of God abandon it. Both speak of a time when God will remedy this situation. Jeremiah promises a new medium on which the law will be written; Ezekiel promises a rebuilt temple and a return of God’s Spirit. These passages present the indwelling or “pouring out” of the Holy Spirit as an eschatological blessing for each believer.6 They give no indication that old covenant believers were indwelt, because their intention is to describe what will become a reality under the new covenant.

Though the Spirit was not in Old Testament saints, He was with them. God was with them by dwelling in the tabernacle and then the temple, which made the place lovely (Ps 84:1 [Hb. 84:2]).
God’s Dwelling Place
The Old Testament conceives of God as being present with His old covenant people by dwelling in the tabernacle and later the temple.36 Chapter six will show that these concepts are foundational to the New Testament teaching that believers in Jesus are the new temple, which is to say they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
The Tabernacle. Yahweh declared to Moses, “let them make for Me a sanctuary that I may dwell among them” (Exod 25:8). In this statement God expresses His desire to be sought and found at a particular place, and He commands that His dwelling place be prepared.37 He will dwell in the tent the Israelites make for Him. Prior to this statement about the tabernacle, earlier references to God’s house (Gen 28:17; Exod 23:19), mountain (Exod 4:17), or sanctuary (Exod 15:17) indicate that though God cannot be geographically bound,38 there were certain places where He could be met (see Num 17:4). When the tabernacle was complete and Yahweh’s glory filled it (Exod 40:34–38), all these various ways that God’s presence was communicated came together.39 In a real sense, “The purpose for the exodus from Egypt was so God could dwell in the midst of His people. The coming of God’s glorious presence into the newly constructed tabernacle forms the climax of the Book of Exodus (40:34).”40
Yahweh’s residence among His people in the tabernacle not only provided them with access to His presence,
Author James Hamilton