No, Trump Isn’t Guilty of Incitement

Thistle

No, Trump Isn’t Guilty of Incitement​

Jeffrey Scott Shapiro
3 minutes

House Democrats have drafted an article of impeachment that accuses President Trump of “incitement to insurrection.” Acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin said Thursday that his office is “looking at all actors here and anyone that had a role” in the Capitol riot. Some reporters have construed that as including Mr. Trump.

The president didn’t commit incitement or any other crime. I should know. As a Washington prosecutor I earned the nickname “protester prosecutor” from the antiwar group CodePink. In one trial, I convicted 31 protesters who disrupted congressional traffic by obstructing the Capitol Crypt. In another, I convicted a CodePink activist who smeared her hands with fake blood, charged at then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in a House hearing room, and incited the audience to seize the secretary of state physically. In other cases, I dropped charges when the facts fell short of the legal standard for incitement. One such defendant was the antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan.

Hostile journalists and lawmakers have suggested Mr. Trump incited the riot when he told a rally that Republicans need to “fight much harder.” Mr. Trump suggested the crowd walk to the Capitol: “We’re going to cheer on brave senators and congressmen and -women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them. Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong.”

In the District of Columbia, it’s a crime to “intentionally or recklessly act in such a manner to cause another person to be in reasonable fear” and to “incite or provoke violence where there is a likelihood that such violence will ensue.” This language is based on Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969), in which the Supreme Court set the standard for speech that could be prosecuted without violating the First Amendment. The justices held that a Ku Klux Klan leader’s calls for violence against blacks and Jews were protected speech. The court found that Clarence Brandenburg’s comments were “mere advocacy” of violence, not “directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action . . . likely to incite or produce such action.”

The president didn’t mention violence on Wednesday, much less provoke or incite it. He said, “I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”

The enemies of the American voters, started with Trump Russia Collusion, and they are ending with this. At least they are consistent.

J regia

Jeffrey Scott Shapiro
3 minutes

House Democrats have drafted an article of impeachment that accuses President Trump of “incitement to insurrection.” Acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin said Thursday that his office is “looking at all actors here and anyone that had a role” in the Capitol riot. Some reporters have construed that as including Mr. Trump.

The president didn’t commit incitement or any other crime. I should know. As a Washington prosecutor I earned the nickname “protester prosecutor” from the antiwar group CodePink. In one trial, I convicted 31 protesters who disrupted congressional traffic by obstructing the Capitol Crypt. In another, I convicted a CodePink activist who smeared her hands with fake blood, charged at then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in a House hearing room, and incited the audience to seize the secretary of state physically. In other cases, I dropped charges when the facts fell short of the legal standard for incitement. One such defendant was the antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan.

Hostile journalists and lawmakers have suggested Mr. Trump incited the riot when he told a rally that Republicans need to “fight much harder.” Mr. Trump suggested the crowd walk to the Capitol: “We’re going to cheer on brave senators and congressmen and -women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them. Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong.”

In the District of Columbia, it’s a crime to “intentionally or recklessly act in such a manner to cause another person to be in reasonable fear” and to “incite or provoke violence where there is a likelihood that such violence will ensue.” This language is based on Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969), in which the Supreme Court set the standard for speech that could be prosecuted without violating the First Amendment. The justices held that a Ku Klux Klan leader’s calls for violence against blacks and Jews were protected speech. The court found that Clarence Brandenburg’s comments were “mere advocacy” of violence, not “directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action . . . likely to incite or produce such action.”

The president didn’t mention violence on Wednesday, much less provoke or incite it. He said, “I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”

The enemies of the American voters, started with Trump Russia Collusion, and they are ending with this. At least they are consistent.
Nor was Mussolini or Hitler, eh?

Jeffrey Scott Shapiro
3 minutes

It’s utterly rediculious, but a common claim on the left that will not be called out by the press for what it is, blatant falsehoods lies and political slandering.

Some of those politicians making the claims have law degrees which further amplifies the filthy lie of it.

Thistle

Nor was Mussolini or Hitler, eh?
Really?

Proposition one: You've been following Hitler for four years.

Proposition two: Let's unite as American's in brotherhood and harmony.

How smart do you have to be to see the inconsistency?

Thistle

It’s utterly rediculious, but a common claim on the left that will not be called out by the press for what it is, blatant falsehoods lies and political slandering.

Some of those politicians making the claims have law degrees which further amplifies the filthy lie of it.
The last four years of behavior on the left would make Machiavelli blush.

vibise

Jeffrey Scott Shapiro
3 minutes

This guy claimed to have been a DC prosecutor, but the examples of cases prosecuted were against left wing protestors. What RW protestors did he prosecute?

The Trump rally before the attack on the Capitol was full of encouragement of violence from Trump as well as Trump, Jr and Giuliani encouraging people to go to the Capitol, interrupt the proceedings and confront specific lawmakers. Furthermore, Trump had been promoting this assault on the Capitol for weeks, an assault timed to coincide with the otherwise ceremonial counting of the EC votes. A time when the entire leadership of the executive and legislative branches would be sitting ducks, except for Trump, who, BTW, told his supporters he would be going with them, but of course did not.

Trump has been attacking our institutions from the beginning of his presidency. The institutions of government, especially our agencies focused on national security as well as inspector generals who root out corruption, and of course, attacking our media as the enemy of the people. It is no wonder that his supporters were so riled up.

Then as his supporters invaded the Capitol where they attacked police and media, killed a policeman and injured others, called some policemen the N-word, destroyed doors, windows, furniture and wall hangings, carried weapons and zip ties and Confederate flags, defaced statues, and peed and defecated on the floors, Trump sent out a message that he loved them and they were special people, while asking them to go home.

In the meantime, for unexplained reasons, the powers that be delayed sending in needed reinforcements for hours and hours.

Yes, he incited violence and he focused the wrath of his supporters on this day, and at a specific time on that day. In past elections, the ceremonial counting of the EC votes got little attention. Trump saw this as a last stand for him.

Well, now that this failed to derail the election, his supporters are planning an attack on DC this Sunday, as well as an attack on the day of the inauguration. With weapons. I only hope that Biden decides to have a private swearing in ceremony. We don't need pomp and circumstance at this point in time, and given the events of last Wednesday, Biden should not assume he will be protected in an open air ceremony.

vibise

Answer my question. You made a claim now support it. You people are pathetic
He claimed that the election was rigged and that he and his supporters were cheated. over and over.
When his 60+ court cases failed, he drew attention to the EC count in Congress, an event that in the past goes largely unnoticed.
He held a rally right before that count, riling up his supporters with false claims of election rigging, and telling them to go to Congress to confront lawmakers who don't align with him.
After the violence started, he sent out a message telling those anarchists that he loved them and they are special people.
He never acknowledged the death of a Capitol policeman at the hands of his supporters. No condolence call to the family, no WH flag at half-mast.
He has for years claimed that the media is the enemy of the people and directed his supporters to hate and attack them. Which they did that day.

Harry Leggs

He claimed that the election was rigged and that he and his supporters were cheated. over and over.
It was rigged. That is true and is loaded with circumstantial evidence along with sworn testimony from eyewitnesses.
After the violence started,
Because the Dems cheated at elections.
he sent out a message telling those anarchists that he loved them and they are special people.
Yeah that is called free speech. Stupid Dems are agitating like children playing with gasoline and matches.
He never acknowledged the death of a Capitol policeman at the hands of his supporters.
That is not a crime.
He has for years claimed that the media is the enemy of the people and directed his supporters to hate and attack them. Which they did that day.
The media is the enemy of the people because they are enemies of truth.

Last edited:

Ignatius

When his 60+ court cases failed, he drew attention to the EC count in Congress, an event that in the past goes largely unnoticed.
He held a rally right before that count, riling up his supporters with false claims of election rigging, and telling them to go to Congress to confront lawmakers who don't align with him.
After the violence started, he sent out a message telling those anarchists that he loved them and they are special people.
He never acknowledged the death of a Capitol policeman at the hands of his supporters. No condolence call to the family, no WH flag at half-mast.
So? Where did he encourage people to riot? Give me the quotes.

Does anything you leftist "geniuses" ever invite people to violence?

BTW CNN, MSNBC, and network news IS the enemy of the people. You're blindly stupid to ignore that fact.

Last edited:
This guy claimed to have been a DC prosecutor, but the examples of cases prosecuted were against left wing protestors. What RW protestors did he prosecute?

The Trump rally before the attack on the Capitol was full of encouragement of violence from Trump as well as Trump, Jr and Giuliani encouraging people to go to the Capitol, interrupt the proceedings and confront specific lawmakers. Furthermore, Trump had been promoting this assault on the Capitol for weeks, an assault timed to coincide with the otherwise ceremonial counting of the EC votes. A time when the entire leadership of the executive and legislative branches would be sitting ducks, except for Trump, who, BTW, told his supporters he would be going with them, but of course did not.

Trump has been attacking our institutions from the beginning of his presidency. The institutions of government, especially our agencies focused on national security as well as inspector generals who root out corruption, and of course, attacking our media as the enemy of the people. It is no wonder that his supporters were so riled up.

Then as his supporters invaded the Capitol where they attacked police and media, killed a policeman and injured others, called some policemen the N-word, destroyed doors, windows, furniture and wall hangings, carried weapons and zip ties and Confederate flags, defaced statues, and peed and defecated on the floors, Trump sent out a message that he loved them and they were special people, while asking them to go home.

In the meantime, for unexplained reasons, the powers that be delayed sending in needed reinforcements for hours and hours.

Yes, he incited violence and he focused the wrath of his supporters on this day, and at a specific time on that day. In past elections, the ceremonial counting of the EC votes got little attention. Trump saw this as a last stand for him.

Well, now that this failed to derail the election, his supporters are planning an attack on DC this Sunday, as well as an attack on the day of the inauguration. With weapons. I only hope that Biden decides to have a private swearing in ceremony. We don't need pomp and circumstance at this point in time, and given the events of last Wednesday, Biden should not assume he will be protected in an open air ceremony.
I think you are making this up. Provide a quote of trump encouraging violence.

J regia

So? Where did he encourage people to riot? Give me the quotes.

Does anything you leftist "geniuses" ever invite people to violence?

BTW CNN, MSNBC, and network news IS the enemy of the people. You're blindly stupid to ignore that fact.
So where did he tell his fascist terrorists not to riot, and just wave their flags?

Ignatius

So where did he tell his fascist terrorists not to riot, and just wave their flags?
So you either can't it won't answer the question. It's good to see you stuttering and stammering. You people have made a living off juts accusing people and having them roll over. I would get banned if I said what I really think about you "people"

Thistle

Exactly! Groups on the right in Washington heretofore have been at least as law abiding as the police. Thanks for calling that to our attention.
The Trump rally before the attack on the Capitol was full of encouragement of violence from Trump as well as Trump, Jr and Giuliani encouraging people to go to the Capitol, interrupt the proceedings and confront specific lawmakers.
I didn't see the whole rally. Could you quote what you allege to be incitement in context?
Furthermore, Trump had been promoting this assault on the Capitol for weeks, an assault timed to coincide with the otherwise ceremonial counting of the EC votes.
So a protest or demonstration is an assault if it supports Trump?
A time when the entire leadership of the executive and legislative branches would be sitting ducks,
This presupposes a scenario countermanded by the facts in evidence.
except for Trump, who, BTW, told his supporters he would be going with them, but of course did not.
He said he built Trump Tower too, but do you think he swung a hammer?
Trump has been attacking our institutions from the beginning of his presidency.
What do you have where most people have a sense of irony? Do you use that for storage? Our institution know as the press has been attacking Trump for four solid years. Our institution know as the Arts have been attacking Trump for four solid years. Out institution known at the academy has been attacking Trump for four solid years. Our institution known as the administrative state has been attacking Trump for four solid years. In fact it's hard to find an institution that has not been attacking Trump, and by extention the Americans who voted for him.
The institutions of government, especially our agencies focused on national security as well as inspector generals who root out corruption, and of course, attacking our media as the enemy of the people. It is no wonder that his supporters were so riled up.
I don't think you understand Trumps value proposition. Voters on the right have sent people to DC who claimed to be willing to fight for them like Democrats fight for their constituents for decades now. Then we got a litany of, "okay, we are going to stab you in the back this time, but next time we are really going to fight hard to defend you." Trump is the first person in living memory who would stand up and fight for Republican voters the way Democrats fight for Democrat voters. He came to clean the swamp, and the swamp joined forces to not be cleaned. Trump actually had his voters back. You've got to try, really, really, really hard not to see that.
Then as his supporters invaded the Capitol where they attacked police and media, killed a policeman and injured others, called some policemen the N-word,
That charge was leveled against the Tea Party and it turned out to be false. So I don't believe that. But for the sake of argument, are you crusading against rap music for that same reason?
destroyed doors, windows, furniture and wall hangings, carried weapons and zip ties and Confederate flags, defaced statues, and peed and defecated on the floors, Trump sent out a message that he loved them and they were special people, while asking them to go home.
Most of that is illegal so charge the wrong doers and punish them. And by the way, do the same with the people who have been rioting all year.
Protesters on the right heretofore have not been a problem, nevertheless that was a terrible miscalculation.
Are you serious? Protesters never show up to Davos? What planet have you been living on?
Well, now that this failed to derail the election,
If any of them marched up to Capital Hill with the premeditated idea of overwhelming the capital police and marching into a session of Congress I can't imagine they could expect it to end any other way.
his supporters are planning an attack on DC this Sunday, as well as an attack on the day of the inauguration. With weapons.
My understanding is that the mayor has put a moratorium on demonstration permits from now to the 24th.
I only hope that Biden decides to have a private swearing in ceremony.
If his campaign is any indication we will be sworn in, either in his basement or on late night television.
We don't need pomp and circumstance at this point in time, and given the events of last Wednesday, Biden should not assume he will be protected in an open air ceremony.
Biden is probably better thought of by Trump voters, than the swamp who installed him by means of skullduggery.

J regia

So you either can't it won't answer the question. It's good to see you stuttering and stammering. You people have made a living off juts accusing people and having them roll over. I would get banned if I said what I really think about you "people"
And the world will breath a sigh of relief on 20th Jan while Melania re-reads her pre-nuptial agreement and your messiah cries about why the PGA have banned him and why suburban women don't like him.