Obsession with Safety creates Sick Minds and Sick Society

DeSanto

Yet you cannot cite a single instance of my doing so.

To which evidence do I need to respond that I have not?
My apologies, ES! That comment was meant for WM.

In regards to your comment...

Electric Skeptic said:
I see you promoting unsupported fear-mongering conspiracy theories.

Since when was it considered fear mongering to engage in a philosophical discussion regarding human nature?

On the contrary, these are exactly the type of rational, logical discussions we should be having.

The OP presents arguments from some of the most respected philosophers of our time, not fear mongering conspiracy theorist... warning of potential dangers to a society overly concerned with safety.

Last edited:

DeSanto

... because it sells fear in a way which you approve of.

In a thread you created to criticize people living in fear.

You need more self-awareness.
I’m not trying to sell fear in any way and I’m not criticizing people for having fear. I have fears too! I have a lot of fears. Some rational, some irrational. I know that.

And I think it’s a good idea, in times like these, to have these types of rational discussions regarding how easily fear can cause us to make rash decisions, against our own self interest, and lead us to disastrous consequences.

That’s the point of this thread.

Don’t demonize me for it.

Last edited:

Carol

Without a shred of evidence.

Firstly, demonstrate that this is happening. Secondly, I couldn't care less who has tht data regarding myself.

That person IS a threat to everybody else's well being. Other people deserve to know that.

People like you? The irrational? I'm sorry, but not taking the vaccine is simply irrational and unreasonable, and those who refuse to do so are a real and present danger to those around them.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Who said anything about Hitler?

This is disingenuous. We've been hearing "Nazi" "fascist" "dictator" for nearly 5 years.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make here.

Carol

... because it sells fear in a way which you approve of.

In a thread you created to criticize people living in fear.

You need more self-awareness.

There's always been people who seek power and control over others, and fear is a useful tool.
History repeats.

But talking about it is selling fear?

vibise

There's always been people who seek power and control over others, and fear is a useful tool.
History repeats.

When your talking points scare people into avoiding a life-saving vaccine, then yes, you are selling fear and harming people and society

Whateverman

History repeats.

Yup.

If you really believe that's what's happening, there's nothing wrong with talking about it. However, have enough self-awareness to do this without also lecturing other people about fear-mongering...

Electric Skeptic

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Rational people are afraid of a potentially deadly disease. They take precautions, like wearing masks and getting vaccinated.

This is disingenuous. We've been hearing "Nazi" "fascist" "dictator" for nearly 5 years.
Completely unrelated to the topic. Sorry, but you don't get to drag Hitler out when nobody has even mentioned him and then accuse somebody else of making it relevant.

Carol

When your talking points scare people into avoiding a life-saving vaccine, then yes, you are selling fear and harming people and society

What talking points?

I'm not convinced that, for me, the risks of catching this bug, and then the risk of consequences from it, outweigh the risk of getting this shot.

Carol

Yup.

If you really believe that's what's happening,

Governess Gretchen's authoritarianism has been pretty obvious.

there's nothing wrong with talking about it. However, have enough self-awareness to do this without also lecturing other people about fear-mongering...

I don't agree that discussing issues is selling fear.
Using exaggeration, emotion, drama drama drama- yeah.

Last edited:

Carol

Rational people are afraid of a potentially deadly disease. They take precautions, like wearing masks and getting vaccinated.

Fear is an emotional instinct.

Caution is rational.
Seeing everyone as a real and present danger- no.

Completely unrelated to the topic. Sorry, but you don't get to drag Hitler out when nobody has even mentioned him and then accuse somebody else of making it relevant.

Whateverman

I don't agree that discussing issues is selling fear.
If the part of the discussion is intended to make someone afraid of some aspect of the topic, it's fear mongering.

A fish monger sells fish; a fear monger sells fear. It does not matter whether the fish/fear is needed by the buyer.

But again, my objection IS NOT against selling fear. It's against the hypocrisy of selling fear and then creating a thread lecturing others about not selling fear. That's what this thread is, despite the fact that this thread's author is one of the most prolific conspiracy theorists in this forum (if not the most prolific). Be afraid of big government, of the drinking water, of the media, of technology, of military labs releasing bioweapons, etc ad nauseum.

It's pure dishonesty.

Carol

If the part of the discussion is intended to make someone afraid of some aspect of the topic, it's fear mongering.

A fish monger sells fish; a fear monger sells fear. It does not matter whether the fish/fear is needed by the buyer.

But again, my objection IS NOT against selling fear. It's against the hypocrisy of selling fear and then creating a thread lecturing others about not selling fear. That's what this thread is, despite the fact that this thread's author is one of the most prolific conspiracy theorists in this forum (if not the most prolific). Be afraid of big government, of the drinking water, of the media, of technology, of military labs releasing bioweapons, etc ad nauseum.

It's pure dishonesty.

I don't agree that this thread is fearmongering.
How bout you quote what you consider fearmongering.

vibise

What talking points?

I'm not convinced that, for me, the risks of catching this bug, and then the risk of consequences from it, outweigh the risk of getting this shot.
Then you must live in an area where there is little to no disease spread, or are religiously practicing mitigation procedures like masking and social distancing.

The news is filled with patients about to be intubated who are asking for the vaccine, and regretting their decisions not to get it.

The risks associated with the vaccine are miniscule compared with the actual disease. If you think otherwise, you are paying attention to scientifically and medically inaccurate sources.

vibise

I don't agree that this thread is fearmongering.
How bout you quote what you consider fearmongering.
Your statement in post 130, claiming that there is a greater risk from the vaccine than the disease, is false and an example of fear-mongering.

Carol

Then you must live in an area where there is little to no disease spread, or are religiously practicing mitigation procedures like masking and social distancing.

The news is filled with patients about to be intubated who are asking for the vaccine, and regretting their decisions not to get it.

The risks associated with the vaccine are miniscule compared with the actual disease. If you think otherwise, you are paying attention to scientifically and medically inaccurate sources.

That's your opinion.