Offshoots of Mormonism - Where Cults Lead Us

Redeemed

One cult I'm focusing on is the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. All cults can be extremely dangerous and this one ranks right up at the top.

This is hard to look at and I'm sure Mormonism would like nothing better to sweep this under the rug or call foul. That's why I'm posting it here in apologetics instead of under Cults hopefully keep things relatively calm. In apologetics I've heard a lot of people bring up the crusades and point to how cruel Christians are and therefor how unloving God is. I don't believe that one can judge all of Christianity on one single event in history that had tragic consequences on both sides.

But I believe if one compiles circumstance after circumstance of extremely bad behavior against any organized religion or cult that it would be advantageous to take a good look at them. In Christianity there is probably countless different varieties or denominations. Take myself for instance I've just found out that I'm a Reformed Jesus Freak. I know... I know what, will people think? But you get the point. FYI In order to join you had to of been a hippie in the 60s and know all the Grateful Dead songs by heart.o_O

The first thing Mormons would bring up if you mentioned FLDS is point out that they're not associated with FLDS although at one time they were obviously. But Mormonism has a like that. This perfectly normal is human nature. I don't really think it's fair to point the finger at Mormonism over the whole issue with FLDS but I do think it's appropriate to take a look at it because I believe that's the nature of a cult. Eventually it'll lead to a tragedy. Both in the original cult and any offshoot thereof.

I think by sharing information... which is what the Internet is for at least that's how it started back in the day. And by sharing that information, it may help someone that's in a cult to leave or anyone that may be acceptable to becoming entangled in a cult could gather the needed information to help them stay out of it.

So if you have any firsthand knowledge or information of FLDS or any cult for that matter please share it. I'm to go dig up some more right now. :love:

Redeemed

I realize the need to be careful here and make it clear when I'm referring to LDS and their occult practices and when I'm referring to FLDS. I want to avoid lumping them together except for the fact that they are both cults.

In this post I'll mainly focus on LDS and the horrible tragedies their specific cult practices has had on their victims. Mainly families and most importantly the children in those families. And how it progressed over into FLDS.

Starting with polygamy and the effects it can have on the family. I did a little research and found out that polygamy is against the law in 50 states in America. One state Utah change the law saying that you can be in a polygamous marriage as long as you stay the Utah resident. Apparently if you move out of Utah the marriage becomes null and void. And recently the Supreme Court has moved to make it legal in all the states. That's not surprising considering the moral decline we are living. It's really a sad thing to think about. But we know Who is in control and sitting on His Throne.

At any rate to move back into the history of Mormon and polygamy, before Utah became a US Territory it was perfectly legal. A That really messed up Joseph Smith's plan for Utah because history teaches us he didn't want to be part of the United States. He had his own plans. But when that didn't work out and Utah became a territory apparently it was advantageous to become a state and to do that they had to get rid of polygamy. History goes they said they did get rid of it but In reality* they still practiced it. They lied, so they don't seem to be really worried about lawlessness when the law contradicts their immoral practices. They placed themselves above the law.

Next post I'm going to focus on were those immoral practices lead.

* reality does play a part in some aspects of Mormonism.

Redeemed

Moral practices in both LDS & And their offshoot FLDS lead to both individual lives and families being destroyed. I believe the responsibility for that and the tactics lies in the leaders of all cults not just the two focused on here. To me the So-called "Christian" cult leaders are nothing more than a seasoned con man hiding behind the Bible and using it to enslave unsuspecting people. Whatever area of deception they want to lead people into they have a well laid out plan and strategy. Once they have one area of deception up and operative they expand it.

And they branch out into more areas that are all designed to lift up the cult leader and destroy the unsuspecting followers. This is definitely not an isolated incident, and its global. They all have the same characteristics because at the beginning of the deception Satan was the one that deceived each and every cult leader. He's behind it. He's an ancient foe. He hates God's creation and he comes only to rob, steal, and destroy.

Gary Mac

If any denomination no matter which one it is is not like the father God as He demands of us to be one in Him with He in you and you in Him as one as Jesus was one in Him in John 17, or if they teach different from to be perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect, and if they do not walk as He walks in His same light as jesus did, and if they have not received from God the same information Jesus did in Matt 3:16 which is the only way God can be exposed in man, and if they are not born of God to be holy pure and with out sIn which to be born of God it is impossible to be in sin, 1 John 3:9, and do not have the same signs follow, then they are no different from Mormons at all, just different belief systems to regulate their gods.

Every single person knows very well if they are like Him and in His same image or not.

Redeemed

The person who is behind the deception found in all cults is none other than the enemy of our souls, Satan himself. Since the very beginning, when he tempted Eve, one of his primary weapons has been deceit. He came to Eve as the serpent, a subtle deceiver. Revelation 12:9 speaks of him as “that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world.” And John 8:44 tells us that he has no truth in him, for he is a liar, and he is the father of lies.

However Satan advertises himself, his main tactic is deception. He is a liar. He is the serpent. He is the deceiver. But he masquerades as something other than that. That’s the real core of his strategy.

2 Corinthians 11:13–14 warns us, “For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.” Satan isn’t always easy to identify. He is the father of all lies. And in order not to fall for his lies you need a good lie detector. You can go buy at the store you have to develop your own. Not many of us have the time or the desire to do that. Unless of course you've been beaten up severely by the lies of Satan and managed to survive by the goodness of God. Then you'll understand the importance of a good lie detector.

We can help people become aware of Satan strategies and how important it is to make a stand against. One of the ways to stand against is to put on the whole armor of God. It takes a little effort I know but it's worth it, you're worth it, and it will definitely pay off! And perhaps even help you avoid some pitfalls and challenges we face in life. God tells us that no matter what we go through here on earth will be with us. You can read about the life of King David to learn all about that.

I have a prayer I use written by Dr. David Jeremiah that I find extremely useful in putting on the whole armor of God based on Ephesians chapter 6 and it goes like this:

Heavenly Father, Your warriors prepares for battle. Today we claim victory over Satan by putting on the whole armor of God.

We put on the Girdle of Truth! May we stand firm in the truth of Your Word so we will not be a victim of Satan's lies.

We put on the Breastplate of Righteousness! May it guard our hearts from evil so we will remain pure and holy, protected under the blood of Jesus Christ.

We put on the Shoes of Peace! May we stand firm in the Good News of the Gospel so Your peace will shine through us and be a light to all we encounter.

We take the Shield of Faith! May we be ready for Satan's fiery darts of doubt, denial, and deceit so we will not be vulnerable to spiritual defeat.

We put on the Helmet of Salvation! May we keep our minds focused on You so Satan will not have a stronghold on our thoughts.

We take the Sword of the Spirit! May the two-edged sword of Your Word be ready in our hands so we can expose the tempting words of Satan.

By faith your warriors have put on the whole armor of God! We are prepared to live this day in spiritual victory! Amen!!

Do that each day and you'll definitely have a leg up on Satan's lies and deceptions.

Redeemed

I scratch my head and wonder why are members of the FLDS so adamant about polygamy? How could people in their right minds let someone like Warren Jeffs control their lives? Why isn’t it obvious to “these people” that marrying teen girls to much older men is, well, not appropriate to say the least.

I can't imagine a group of people that claim to be Christian and Mormon could possibly conceive that molesting children could somehow be appropriate. I don't believe you can be more deceived than that. I realize horrible crimes against children is ancient. When you look at all the child sacrifices that went on in various cultures and religions but in this day and age is hard to fathom.

In the worst part of it when it's brought to light, put on trial people still stand behind a horrible cult leader like Warren Jeffs.

Our Western mind-set craves logic and explanation, but those are not always easy to come by. The culture of the FLDS cannot be reduced to a list of bullet points that explains everything to complete satisfaction. Therefore in my own little way I would like just shine some light on this subject.

My son John: You have asked me concerning the New and Everlasting Covenant and how far it is binding upon my people. Thus saith the Lord. All commandments that I give must be obeyed by those calling themselves by my name unless they are revoked by me or by my authority and how can I revoke an everlasting covenant … I have not revoked this law nor will I for it is everlasting and those who will enter into my glory must obey the conditions thereof, even so Amen.

1886 Revelation to John Taylor, president of the
LDS Church, in hiding from federal marshals

That's pretty scary when you take into consideration if your Mormon cult leader wants to molest you One is taught to obey. That's downright despicable. Yet that's the case. There's testimony after testimony to back it up.

Gary Mac

I scratch my head and wonder why are members of the FLDS so adamant about polygamy? How could people in their right minds let someone like Warren Jeffs control their lives? Why isn’t it obvious to “these people” that marrying teen girls to much older men is, well, not appropriate to say the least.

I can't imagine a group of people that claim to be Christian and Mormon could possibly conceive that molesting children could somehow be appropriate. I don't believe you can be more deceived than that. I realize horrible crimes against children is ancient. When you look at all the child sacrifices that went on in various cultures and religions but in this day and age is hard to fathom.

In the worst part of it when it's brought to light, put on trial people still stand behind a horrible cult leader like Warren Jeffs.

Our Western mind-set craves logic and explanation, but those are not always easy to come by. The culture of the FLDS cannot be reduced to a list of bullet points that explains everything to complete satisfaction. Therefore in my own little way I would like just shine some light on this subject.

My son John: You have asked me concerning the New and Everlasting Covenant and how far it is binding upon my people. Thus saith the Lord. All commandments that I give must be obeyed by those calling themselves by my name unless they are revoked by me or by my authority and how can I revoke an everlasting covenant … I have not revoked this law nor will I for it is everlasting and those who will enter into my glory must obey the conditions thereof, even so Amen.

1886 Revelation to John Taylor, president of the
LDS Church, in hiding from federal marshals

That's pretty scary when you take into consideration if your Mormon cult leader wants to molest you One is taught to obey. That's downright despicable. Yet that's the case. There's testimony after testimony to back it up.
Do you mean as with Abraham Sarah and Hagar? Was he of Mormon beliefs ? Just a thought he was the Father of many.

Redeemed

I know right?

The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy.
—Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses,
August 19, 1866, vol. 11, p. 269

God—who had once been a man—lived in heaven with his many goddess wives. Through them he had many spirit-children who didn’t yet have bodies. In order to progress to godhood, God’s children had to receive physical bodies like the one God has. So God planned to send them down to the earth he was going to create. They would receive their physical bodies and go through the tests and trials of the flesh. Only when they had learned to subdue the flesh would they be able to progress to godhood and become like God their Father.

But God needed a plan for man’s salvation, because in physical form his children would fall into a sinful state. God called together a council of gods and asked his two oldest children, Jesus and Lucifer, for suggestions. Lucifer jumped in with a plan to force man to obey God’s laws and bring back all of God’s children. He wanted the glory for himself for accomplishing such a feat. Jesus, the firstborn, suggested God give humans freedom to choose whether or not to obey, and that he would go down and die for their sins. Those who believed would obey God because they loved him. God would only get back those who were worthy to progress to godhood. Jesus wanted all the glory to go to God. The council voted and accepted Jesus’ plan.

Lucifer was furious! He began to sow discord among God’s spirit-children until he had convinced a third of them to revolt against God. War broke out in heaven, and Lucifer was defeated and cast down with his hordes to earth without physical bodies. On earth, they would continue to try and tempt the souls of men to revolt against God.

Another third of the hosts of heaven had not been able to make up their minds which side to fight on, or had been cowards and not fought valiantly. These spirits were allowed to receive a physical body through which they could progress to godhood in the next life. However, they were not allowed to hold the authority of God’s priesthood—the power and authority to act on God’s behalf on earth. They were cursed with a dark skin as a reminder concerning the holding of the priesthood. This is why, historically, black males were not allowed to hold the priesthood in the Mormon faith.

The FLDS Church considers the 1978 decision of the LDS Church revoking the curse a compromise of the truth.

Redeemed

Oh no' just a thought to ponder. I dont know anything about Mormon beliefs only what people comment about it.
I understand points to ponder and your comment could very well lead to a lot of things to think about. Sorry I was so short with you Gary. Okay let's jump to the heart of the matter. I understand your relationship with Christ so we don't need to go over that. Think of the bride of Christ, that's us right? Jesus is the bridegroom. That's the only polygamous relationship I want be in. Satan's gospel would have us believe that were all little gods and we need more than one wife to progress in Satan's make-believe kingdom. The bad news is that it's not only a lie... it destroys and hurts a lot of people. Not to mention breaks a lot of laws that's way a lot of these cult leaders end up committing suicide or going to prison. So you see Gary there are a lot of points to ponder in the cult of Mormonism and how it relates to Christianity.

So once again I apologize for jumping to conclusions about your Abraham comment. Have a blessed day!;)

Gary Mac

I understand points to ponder and your comment could very well lead to a lot of things to think about. Sorry I was so short with you Gary. Okay let's jump to the heart of the matter. I understand your relationship with Christ so we don't need to go over that. Think of the bride of Christ, that's us right? Jesus is the bridegroom. That's the only polygamous relationship I want be in. Satan's gospel would have us believe that were all little gods and we need more than one wife to progress in Satan's make-believe kingdom. The bad news is that it's not only a lie... it destroys and hurts a lot of people. Not to mention breaks a lot of laws that's way a lot of these cult leaders end up committing suicide or going to prison. So you see Gary there are a lot of points to ponder in the cult of Mormonism and how it relates to Christianity.

So once again I apologize for jumping to conclusions about your Abraham comment. Have a blessed day!;)
His bride gives birth to His seed. Giving birth to the Christ within is very painful to a religious mind who sees God separate from them. These cant relate to God in terms of being like Him, perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect, walk as He walks in His same light. To most that is an impossibility to be like Him and in the image of our Father as He demands of us if we are to be in His kingdom.

Redeemed

His bride gives birth to His seed. Giving birth to the Christ within is very painful to a religious mind who sees God separate from them. These cant relate to God in terms of being like Him, perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect, walk as He walks in His same light. To most that is an impossibility to be like Him and in the image of our Father as He demands of us if we are to be in His kingdom.
Do you know what I like best about you Gary? It's that you're consistent, you've got your story and your sticking to it. It's also great that you're so passionate about all of us being like Him. The difference between us Is I'm being sanctified and believe that I will be like him when I see them in heaven face-to-face. If I understand your story correctly your like him right now.

Gary Mac

Do you know what I like best about you Gary? It's that you're consistent, you've got your story and your sticking to it.
My story? God demands we be as He is and in His same image, perfect as He is perfect, same mind, same Spirit, same walk as He walks in His same light. Is that beyond your comprehension to be like Him yourself?
It's also great that you're so passionate about all of us being like Him. The difference between us Is I'm being sanctified and believe that I will be like him when I see them in heaven face-to-face. If I understand your story correctly your like him right now.
Yes -- the difference is being actually sanctified and waiting for it. Receiving from God is not a progression, either you have received from Him his same disposition or you have not.

Everyone who has received from God as Adam did, Abraham did, Moses did, Mary did, Jesus did, Matt 3:16, as 120 did -- is like Him as these were no different at all. Are you different from Him as these were? If so then religious beliefs has you stammered.

I only testify of the same things Jesus did in the Father -- if that is difficult to understand I understand, Jesus went to a cross for that same misunderstanding.