omer count

joline

Hi all, I have a couple questions if you all don't mind.
I am wondering
1. when the omer count begins.
2. Are you going to count here?
I remember someone posted daily throughout the count. I think by Tishri not sure though
Thanks in advance for any answers.

"The (Rabbinic) Hebrew calendar is a lunisolar calendar, meaning that months are based on lunar months, but years are based on solar years."

man, this thing seems all over the place

"1 Nisan is the ecclesiastical new year, i.e. the date from which months and festivals are counted.
Thus Passover (which begins on 15 Nisan) is described in the Torah as falling 'in the first month', while Rosh Hashana (which begins on 1 Tishrei) is described as falling 'in the seventh month'"

-

The Passover Instituted
"Now the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,
“This month shall be your beginning of months; it shall be the first month of the year to you." Exodus 12

"Pesach starts on the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Nisan, which is considered the first month of the Hebrew year. The Rabbinical Jewish calendar is adjusted to align with the solar calendar in such a way that 15 Nisan always coincides with Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday. The Hebrew day starts and ends at sunset, so the holiday starts at sunset the day before. For example, in 2024, 15 Nisan coincides with Tuesday, April 23. Therefore, Pesach starts at sundown on Monday, April 22." (according to Rabbinic Judaism)

"Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year. You may take it from the sheep or from the goats.
Now you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month. Then the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at twilight."
Exodus 12

"The (Rabbinic) Hebrew calendar is a lunisolar calendar, meaning that months are based on lunar months, but years are based on solar years."

man, this thing seems all over the place

"1 Nisan is the ecclesiastical new year, i.e. the date from which months and festivals are counted.
Thus Passover (which begins on 15 Nisan) is described in the Torah as falling 'in the first month', while Rosh Hashana (which begins on 1 Tishrei) is described as falling 'in the seventh month'"

-

The Passover Instituted
"Now the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,
“This month shall be your beginning of months; it shall be the first month of the year to you." Exodus 12

"Pesach starts on the 15th day of the Hebrew month of Nisan, which is considered the first month of the Hebrew year. The Rabbinical Jewish calendar is adjusted to align with the solar calendar in such a way that 15 Nisan always coincides with Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday. The Hebrew day starts and ends at sunset, so the holiday starts at sunset the day before. For example, in 2024, 15 Nisan coincides with Tuesday, April 23. Therefore, Pesach starts at sundown on Monday, April 22." (according to Rabbinic Judaism)

"Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year. You may take it from the sheep or from the goats.
Now you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month. Then the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at twilight."
Exodus 12
They also began the count at night the 23rd.
So they have a passover seder, then the next night they begin the count.
I suspect it was done differently when the temple stood. A liturgical Day is from Morning to evening (biblical). Each day on the feast days sacrifices were to be brought and offered after the daily sacrifice in the morning.
Biblically the 14th day between the evening is the passover. The 14th day of the month begins at night. The feast days however is parts of two days, for a day. The 14th day they sacrifice between the evening of the 14th day.
The feast days ere from the evening of the 14th day, until the evening of the 21st day. Then, they are to bring a festival offering every day, to offer with the daily morning sacrifice. Leaving none until the morning. So each morning a sacrifice is brought for each one of those days.

The passover seems to be the sacrifice of the 14th day

Then each day of the feast days have theirs as well. Interesting that Josephus says the goat for sins were added to all the rest intended as a feast for priests...
Le 23:37 These are the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD, a burnt offering, and a meat offering, a sacrifice, and drink offerings, every thing upon his day:

Num 28:16 ¶ And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the passover of the LORD.
17 And in the fifteenth day of this month is the feast: seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten.
18 In the first day shall be an holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work therein:
19 But ye shall offer a sacrifice made by fire for a burnt offering unto the LORD; two young bullocks, and one ram, and seven lambs of the first year: they shall be unto you without blemish:
20 And their meat offering shall be of flour mingled with oil: three tenth deals shall ye offer for a bullock, and two tenth deals for a ram;
21 A several tenth deal shalt thou offer for every lamb, throughout the seven lambs:
22 And one goat for a sin offering, to make an atonement for you. (only priests ate sin offerings)
23 Ye shall offer these beside the burnt offering in the morning, which is for a continual burnt offering.
24 After this manner ye shall offer daily, throughout the seven days, the meat of the sacrifice made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD: it shall be offered beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering.
25 And on the seventh day ye shall have an holy convocation; ye shall do no servile work.

Last edited:
sorry no quote...
I suspect it was done differently when the temple stood.
I think by Jesus' time the different factions had developed different ideas about things -
like when the special "sabbaths" were during that week - and eventually the entire Calendar itself

my personal view is that the Biblical calendar is counted as 360 days - 12 months of 30 days each and also have the 4 tekufah (equinoxes/solstices)
that the Qumran community/Essenes had this calendar
and that that notion can be seen in the Dead Sea Scrolls

if going to do things Lawfully, and also have the correct focus concerning the biblical History and the Prophecies
would need to have the right Calendar

The feast days ere from the evening of the 14th day, until the evening of the 21st day.
to my understanding, "Passover day" is Nisan 14
Feast of Unleavened Bread is 15-21st

the 15th being a special day of rest, the 21st being a special day of rest, as you have above
the weekly 7th day Sabbath still being that

what you describe above seems to be the special sacrifices done in the Temple by the priests

The 14th day of the month begins at night.
I personally question the "night time/day time" Day thing somewhat
but that is just me

The feast days however is parts of two days, for a day.
I don't think that would be the case, calendar wise
Jews may have been doing Seder on the 15th in Jesus' day
some Jews may have been doing stuff on the 14th

The 14th day they sacrifice between the evening of the 14th day.
"between the evening" doesn't make sense to me
it would done on one day of the calendar, or clearly the next day of the calendar

How do you read this in exodus?
Ex 12:
13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. {to destroy … : Heb. for a destruction }
14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.
16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you. {man: Heb. soul }
17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.
18 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even.
19 Seven days shall there be no leaven found in your houses: for whosoever eateth that which is leavened, even that soul shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he be a stranger, or born in the land.
20 Ye shall eat nothing leavened; in all your habitations shall ye eat unleavened bread.

Granted it does not include "feast of", in vs 17 So (I italicized it) but at least for me, that does not matter to the text, at least for me. It does say feast in vs 14.
The above looks to me like the seven days as twenty four hours are evening to the following Evening. Which is a time within a day already begun. But you might read it differently?
the 15th being a special day of rest, the 21st being a special day of rest, as you have above

what you describe above seems to be the special sacrifices done in the Temple by the priests
No, they were offerings the people were to bring. I would imagine supping occurred in the evening each of those days, as well.
but that is just me
Why? Doesn't scripture speak of a lunar calendar as beginning a month? I will have to find it. Sorry I don't have that right now (should have been better prepared for that). But, that is what I am basing the days of the calendar month on.(appearance of moon, stars). So the 14th lunar day like other calendar days begin at night? So the 14th calendar day would have almost been finished.
And they were to eat it that night, leaving none until the morning (when the festival sacrifices were to be brought, "everything upon his day"; Lev 23:37)..

Last edited:

but that is just me

I don't think that would be the case, calendar wise
Jews may have been doing Seder on the 15th in Jesus' day
some Jews may have been doing stuff on the 14th

it would done on one day of the calendar, or clearly the next day of the calendar

To my understanding as well. (i.e. Exodus 12:6,18; Leviticus 23:4-8)

Hebrew "between the two evenings", first mention in Exodus 12:6.

Yahweh chose the people of Israel to make a covenant with to establish a special relationship between the Israelites and Himself.
Yahweh is the Lawgiver (i.e. Isaiah 33:22; Psalm 119:1-8) and therefore Yahweh defines the terms of the covenant. In other words, the people if Israel cannot re-define these terms whenever it pleases them to do so.

From my understanding of "between the two evenings", Yahweh defined this appointed time on the fourteenth day for Moses and the people of Israel, as follows:

Yahweh designated an "evening" for the people of Israel that was different than the "evening" that Yahweh had reserved for Himself, and also,
Yahweh designated a "calendar day" for the people of Israel that was different than the "calendar day" that Yahweh had reserved for Himself.

Moses and the people of Israel -
"evening" = "sunset" = "demarcation point"
"calendar day" = "sunset to sunset" reckoning (i.e. Leviticus 23:32)

Yahweh -
"evening" = "end of daylight" = "demarcation point" (i.e. Genesis 1:5; (Matthew 26:20; 27:57 - note: same Gospel - same calendar day))
"day" = "light" - therefore from beginning of daylight to end of daylight = "morning to evening" reckoning (i.e. both demarcation points attached to the "light")

So given my understanding of "between the two evenings", Yahweh was defining this particular time of day ("appointed time of sacrifice"), to be followed by Moses and the people of Israel, from His Perspective of day and from His Perspective of evening. (i.e. between the "evening" that Yahweh designated for the people of Israel (i.e. "sunset") and the "evening" Yahweh reserved for Himself (i.e. "end of daylight"), on the day that Yahweh had reserved for Himself. (i.e. fourteenth light of the month)

In Messiah’s (Christ’s) service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo Gloria!
Bringing Christian harmony to all the world

The Hebrew designates a plural…..Beyn ha Arbayim (Between the Evenings).

The evenings were at high noon (sun even overhead) and sunset (sun even with horizon) and the hour of sacrifice was 3:00 pm ……or “between the evenings”.

This was the time of day Messiah died ….and the Passover lambs were also being slaughtered in the temple.

To my understanding as well. (i.e. Exodus 12:6,18;
Ex 12:18
In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even.
The month begins with the new moon, the days of the month begins at night. The days of unleavened bread are from evening to evening (24 hour periods).

Leviticus is appointed times for convocations, and speaks of the sacrifices for those days as well. To be brought morning by morning. Temple sacrifices were not the subject yet in Exodus.

Last edited:
if "the evenings" refers to certain times during the Day, that makes sense to me

"from evening to evening, you shall celebrate your sabbath.”
and if This confirms a sundown to sundown Day, that is kool

my view has been Messiah was on the cross when special sacrifices in the Temple were being done, on the 15th

the month begins with the new moon...
my view is not all Jews did it this way
in Revelation, a year seems to be reckoned as 360 days

if "the evenings" refers to certain times during the Day, that makes sense to me

my view has been Messiah was on the cross when special sacrifices in the Temple were being done, on the 15th
I think so too. They ate passover together. Then he was taken later that night, and tried into the morning. Convicted and faced sentencing, hung on the cross. He died on the 15th day.
Probably not. But why would one assume the apostles were doing it any differently than the rulers at Jerusalem at that time did it?
Not sure what you are talking about here. My interest in this is to reconcile the gospel accounts of what they did as per the Gospels. Also, a better idea of the Quartodeciman controversy that occurred early on in the Church as well. Those days, are only significant IMO because the sacrifices (all of them, all year round) were all representative of him and his work and "one time" sacrifice. Otherwise they are just days, like any other . You may not agree with the significance of the Passover but, Christ being our Passover is significant to the Abrahamic covenant (mount Moriah), and belonging to it. The feast of unleavened bread as well is Abrahamic. Those (memorial) feasts were given to commemorate God's fulfillment of his promises to bring them out (redeem), and (sparing the firstborn from death) in the Abrahamic covenant of Genesis 15.

Last edited:
why would one assume the apostles were doing it any differently than the rulers at Jerusalem at that time did it?
the rulers were Sadducees and Pharisees
but there was another faction...

I view Paul as having a theology change from Pharisaism after his Salvation -
"But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect,
so I worship the God of my fathers, (now - ed.) believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets." Acts 24

Jesus said those who rejected Him (Sadducees/Pharisees) did not really believe Moses and the Prophets...

you may not agree with the significance of the Passover but, Christ being our Passover is significant
oh, absolutely...
I don't question the Passover prophetic significance or the other mandated holidays...I'm questioning the Jewish calendar(s)
yr OP was about the Omer counting

-

"Many of the Dead Sea Scrolls have references to a unique calendar, used by the people there, who are often assumed to be Essenes. (the Way)
The year of this calendar used...twelve 30-day months (360 days), to which were added 4 days at the equinoxes and solstices...

in Revelation, 3.5 years is 42 months is 1260 days - that would be reckoning the years as 360 calendar days

"Since the Babylonian captivity, this month has mainly been called Nisan."
"This month is considered the first month of the ecclesiastical civil year. It begins about the time of the March equinox."

in my view, the Spring equinox is how the start of the year is to be reckoned, not the moon...

-

so, my view is there are competing Jewish calendars, and only one is the Biblical calendar

Exodus 12 says...
"In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at evening, you shall eat unleavened bread, until the twenty-first day of the month at evening. For seven days no leaven shall be found in your houses, since whoever eats what is leavened, that same person shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he is a stranger or a native of the land. You shall eat nothing leavened; in all your dwellings you shall eat unleavened bread."

you said...
Ex 12:18
In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even.
The month (and thus the Year - ed.) begins with the new moon,...
that is the Sadducee/Pharisee lunar/solar calendar view

but I think not the Zadokite way/Essene calendar view

-

what does this have to do with the Omer count?

the Pharisees seem to view the start of the count to be after the special sabbath of the 15th (I think this is yr view)
I don't just assume the Pharisaic/Rabbinic Judaism view on this is correct

Last edited:
the rulers were Sadducees and Pharisees
but there was another faction...

I view Paul as having a theology change from Pharisaism after his Salvation -
"But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect,
so I worship the God of my fathers, (now - ed.) believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets." Acts 24

Jesus said those who rejected Him (Sadducees/Pharisees) did not really believe Moses and the Prophets...

oh, absolutely...
I don't question the Passover prophetic significance or the other mandated holidays...I'm questioning the Jewish calendar(s)
I would agree here as well. I am just questioning the importance of sectarian calendars etc.
yr OP was about the Omer counting
It was, but all this was brought up. I am not seeking to start an argument here honestly. I am just curious as to WHY the calendars are important? I know why it is to me, but I don't understand yours, or Hawkeyes.
-

"Many of the Dead Sea Scrolls have references to a unique calendar, used by the people there, who are often assumed to be Essenes. (the Way)
The year of this calendar used...twelve 30-day months (360 days), to which were added 4 days at the equinoxes and solstices...

in Revelation, 3.5 years is 42 months is 1260 days - that would be reckoning the years as 360 calendar days

"Since the Babylonian captivity, this month has mainly been called Nisan."
"This month is considered the first month of the ecclesiastical civil year. It begins about the time of the March equinox."

in my view, the Spring equinox is how the start of the year is to be reckoned, not the moon...

-

so, my view is there are competing Jewish calendars, and only one is the Biblical calendar

Exodus 12 says...
"In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at evening, you shall eat unleavened bread, until the twenty-first day of the month at evening. For seven days no leaven shall be found in your houses, since whoever eats what is leavened, that same person shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he is a stranger or a native of the land. You shall eat nothing leavened; in all your dwellings you shall eat unleavened bread."

you said...

that is the Sadducee/Pharisee lunar/solar calendar view

but I think not the Zadokite way/Essene calendar view

-

what does this have to do with the Omer count?
I wanted to know when Jew's begin doing what. I did find out because I looked it up because nobody here knew. But not be nasty, just speaking what happened......You brought up the caledar you go by. That is how this started.
the Pharisees seem to view the start of the count to be after the special sabbath of the 15th (I think this is yr view)
I don't just assume the Pharisaic/Rabbinic Judaism view on this is correct
Well, looking this up and reading and videos, Another concept struck me about this. That is why I am asking the significance to you and or others here about calendar concerns. You said a theology. I am not looking for a fight or to accuse, I just would like to know why the proper Calendar has significance to you. No need to respond if you don't want to go there :).

we're not arguing, yr just indulging me on Your thread
thanx

the Exodus happened the very day it was supposed to happen
the Messiah rode into Jerusalem on the very day He was supposed to do so (and all of Israel should have known)
Calendar is important because God does things on time

@joline @Hawkeye @davbeh2010
do the Scriptures say anywhere that "First Fruits" is supposed to be on the first Day of the week/Sunday?

-

I was taught that -
the Pharisee view was the count starts on the 16th, the day after the special sabbath/first day of unleavened bread
while the Sadducees said no, it starts the day after the weekly Sabbath

a count to 50 should fall on a first day of the week/Sunday, no?
if starting count on the 23rd of April this year, it would not do so...

only if count started the day after a weekly Sabbath would it do so
(The Church would thus have been born on a Sunday/first Day of the week)

I just would like to know why the proper Calendar has significance ...

the Messiah rode into Jerusalem on the very day He was supposed to do so (and all of Israel should have known)

Yes, I agree, "according to the Scriptures", the calendar is important because God does things on time.

Exodus 12:40-41 Revised Standard Version of the Bible (emphasis mine)
40 The time that the people of Israel dwelt in Egypt was four hundred and thirty years. 41 And at the end of four hundred and thirty years, on that very day, all the hosts of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt.

Galatians 4:1-7 Revised Standard Version of the Bible (emphasis mine)
4 I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no better than a slave, though he is the owner of all the estate; 2 but he is under guardians and trustees until the date set by the father. 3 So with us; when we were children, we were slaves to the elemental spirits of the universe. 4 But when the time had fully come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 So through God you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son then an heir.

In Messiah’s (Christ’s) service,
David Behrens
Soli Deo Gloria!
Bringing Christian harmony to all the world

Good!
In this context.....the sundown to sundown (evening to evening) of course represents an entire 24 hour period....a Sabbath being an entire day.
Scripture would indicate something other.........

[John 19:14] And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!

[Exodus 12:6] And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

Same verse Young's Literal Translation: `And it hath become a charge to you, until the fourteenth day of this month, and the whole assembly of the company of Israel have slaughtered it between the evenings;

[John 19:31] The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

[Acts 3:1] Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.

[Matthew 27:46] And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

[Matthew 27:50] Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

[Mark 15:34] And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

[Mark 15:37] And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.

[Luke 23:44] And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.

[Luke 23:46] And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

The Hebrews counted hours during the day beginning at sunrise....the ninth hour being 3:00 pm by our modern time. They counted watches during the night.....four 3 hour watches beginning at sunset, 9pm, midnight and 3am. [Psalm 63:6][Lamentation 2:19][Mark 13:35]

This is true.

we're not arguing, yr just indulging me on Your thread
thanx
Welcome. I do not consider this my thread much anymore, as you all do not count the Omer here, and appear to be counting it differently. So, go ahead and carry on with the discussion, I am finding it interesting for sure.
I think the Days are not so significant, but the sacrifices make them significant. I would say, something along the lines of Jesus, The sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. The festival days have sacrifices assigned to them. All the sacrifices have significance to his ONE time sacrifice.. It seems you and I agree on that fine point at least. But since we agree on this, why not say the feast days were made for him, not him for the feast days?
The Passover was to spare their houses, sparing the firstborn. Christ spoke of the new covenant made in his blood. Wrath was coming, Christ was the escape.
Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
@joline @Hawkeye @davbeh2010
do the Scriptures say anywhere that "First Fruits" is supposed to be on the first Day of the week/Sunday?

-

I was taught that -
the Pharisee view was the count starts on the 16th, the day after the special sabbath/first day of unleavened bread
while the Sadducees said no, it starts the day after the weekly Sabbath
Josephus confirms this 16th day. The thing is, The Sadducees went along with The Pharisees. They were not a well liked sect by the people, so to keep peace (especially under Roman rule) they went along with the Pharisees.
a count to 50 should fall on a first day of the week/Sunday, no?
if starting count on the 23rd of April this year, it would not do so...
The first day, of the first week, of weeks yes. Rather the first day of the WEEKS (7). Since a week a had not yet been accomplished, I don't think they counted the week until there was a week to count. They were sticklers about that sort of thing. So I believe to say the first day, in a count of that day, is correct. This would have been done until the first week had come to count it. So the first six days of weeks, days were counted only.
As for Sunday,,It is not really that it should, but rather that it did, they just fixed the date. Maybe that year the two ruling parties views, were reconciled???? Wghether that was right or wrong Iam not gonna judge at this point.
only if count started the day after a weekly Sabbath would it do so
(The Church would thus have been born on a Sunday/first Day of the week)
I do not believe any different sectarian calender was being kept IN THE TEMPLE (sacrificially) than that which the Pharisees kept, and The Sadducees went along with. I think the sacrifices are more significant than the date on a calendar.

Last edited:
Back