On being “Mormon.”

Magdalena

Mormon posters here often complain about being referred to as Mormons. Or having their church referred to as the Mormon church. But that is what Mormons called themselves for generations.

Reflected in a talk by President Thomas Monson…

“Instantly there flashed through my mind the thought, “Monson, you are not a Catholic; you are not a Jew; you are not a Protestant. You are a Mormon, so you just stand here!” I can assure you that I felt completely alone. Courageous and determined, yes—but alone.

And then I heard the sweetest words I ever heard that chief petty officer utter. He looked in my direction and asked, “And just what do you guys call yourselves?” Until that very moment I had not realized that anyone was standing beside me or behind me on the drill ground. Almost in unison, each of us replied, “Mormons!” It is difficult to describe the joy that filled my heart as I turned around and saw a handful of other sailors.

The chief petty officer scratched his head in an expression of puzzlement but finally said, “Well, you guys go find somewhere to meet. And don’t come back until three o’clock. Forward, march!”

As we marched away, I thought of the words of a rhyme I had learned in Primary years before:

Dare to be a Mormon;
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a purpose firm;
Dare to make it known.”

Members used to be proud of being identified as Mormons because they felt it set them apart, and above, others. Until for some reason it became an embarrassment to them. And suddenly it’s disrespectful, and they’re offended by the label.

What happened to change that?

Mormon posters here often complain about being referred to as Mormons. Or having their church referred to as the Mormon church. But that is what Mormons called themselves for generations.

It's simply a worthless tactic to try to run away from the reputation that they have rightly earned for themslves.

It used to be called, "used".
Now it's called, "pre-owned".
It's called, "marketing".
It's called, "rebranding".

They used to be called, "medical clinics".
Now they're called, "wellness centres".

It used to be called, "global warming".
Now it's called, "climate change".
It's called "rebranding".

It used to be called, "pro-choice".
Now it's called, "women's reproductive rights".

They used to be called "illegal aliens".
Now they're called, "undocumented immigrants".

They used to be called the "homeless" (their own consequence).
Now they're called, "unhoused" (the government's fault).

Child-attracted criminals used to be known as a word beginning with "p".
Now they call themselves, "MAPS" ("minor attracted people").

They used to be called "Mormons".
Now they want to call themselves, "the church of Jesus Christ".

Mormons used to be proud to be different from Chrisitans.
Now they want to try to deny all difference between them and true Chrisitianity.
It's called "rebranding".

Evil concepts rebranded with "good" sounding names.

Last edited:

Reflected in a talk by President Thomas Monson…

“Instantly there flashed through my mind the thought, “Monson, you are not a Catholic; you are not a Jew; you are not a Protestant. You are a Mormon, so you just stand here!” I can assure you that I felt completely alone. Courageous and determined, yes—but alone.

And then I heard the sweetest words I ever heard that chief petty officer utter. He looked in my direction and asked, “And just what do you guys call yourselves?” Until that very moment I had not realized that anyone was standing beside me or behind me on the drill ground. Almost in unison, each of us replied, “Mormons!” It is difficult to describe the joy that filled my heart as I turned around and saw a handful of other sailors.

The chief petty officer scratched his head in an expression of puzzlement but finally said, “Well, you guys go find somewhere to meet. And don’t come back until three o’clock. Forward, march!”

As we marched away, I thought of the words of a rhyme I had learned in Primary years before:

Dare to be a Mormon;
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a purpose firm;
Dare to make it known.”

Members used to be proud of being identified as Mormons because they felt it set them apart, and above, others. Until for some reason it became an embarrassment to them. And suddenly it’s disrespectful, and they’re offended by the label.

What happened to change that?

Here's my take on this, and I believe it applies to most members of the church, not all but the very most.

I little backstory first for context. I don't recall who said this, but basically it is very competitive within the hierarchy of the church and that they all have pet peeves and personal agendas and very huge ego's, especially as they gain tenure. So when a new prophet comes in, they, like any other CEO's or a POTUS, will push their personal agendas. We clearly saw this when Nelson basically demoted Uchtdorf and brought in his friend Oaks.

So with that in mind, when Nelson was an apostle, and Gordon B. Hinckley was the President, he gave a conference talk in 1990 titled " Thus Shall My Church Be Called" .... Here . You can read the talk but basically it was the same talk in context when he all but banned the name "Mormon" being used by church members. After his talk in 1990 the members were a bit confused.

Six months later President Hinkley at the next conference gave a talk in titled.... " Mormon Should Mean More Good." .... Here . GBH in his talk politely yet publicly punked Nelson.... he said " Many of our people are disturbed by the practice of the media, and of many others, to disregard totally the true name of the Church and to use the nickname “the Mormon Church" showing the confusion I mentioned.

GBH then went on the say ....

Six months ago in our conference Elder Russell M. Nelson delivered an excellent address on the correct name of the Church. He quoted the words of the Lord Himself:

“Thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” (D&C 115:4.)

He then went on to discourse on the various elements of that name. I commend to you a rereading of his talk.

The Mormon church, of course, is a nickname. And nicknames have a way of becoming fixed. I think of the verse concerning a boy and his name:

Father calls me William,
Sister calls me Will,
Mother calls me Willie,
But the fellers call me Bill.

(“Jest ’Fore Christmas.”)
I suppose that regardless of our efforts, we may never convert the world to general use of the full and correct name of the Church. Because of the shortness of the word Mormon and the ease with which it is spoken and written, they will continue to call us the Mormons, the Mormon church, and so forth.

They could do worse. More than fifty years ago, when I was a missionary in England, I said to one of my associates, “How can we get people, including our own members, to speak of the Church by its proper name?”

He replied, “You can’t. The word Mormon is too deeply ingrained and too easy to say.” He went on, “I’ve quit trying. While I’m thankful for the privilege of being a follower of Jesus Christ and a member of the Church which bears His name, I am not ashamed of the nickname Mormon.

IMO there was nothing really inspired about the change by Nelson, he was going to change the name of the church and cost a lot of people and the church millions of dollars re-branding, because he got punked by Nelson. I am not saying he did not believe the name as a stain, but it was Personal, very Personal. And speaking past tense as an ex-Mormon .... "as good Mormons we comply, whether we like it or not, and fall in line." One member here, recently said they "do not know what a Mormon is," which proves my point about falling in line. He also said he had been on boards defending the church for 25 years.

I know a Mormon apologist via long e-mail conversations, who even helped with the essays, who was bummed out after Nelson gave the command as President. It was going to cost him a lot of money and he had to change the name of his web site and letter head, etc. FAIRMORMON had to change their infrastructure in those regards also. I can only imagine how much it cost the tithe payers for the internal change....al because of one mans pet peeve.

I would bet most members privately don't care about being a Mormon and actually miss it, if they were honest.

It will be interesting to see what happens after he dies and if the a new leader says it okay to be Mormon again.

Last edited:
Here's my take on this, and I believe it applies to most members of the church, not all but the very most.

I little backstory first for context. I don't recall who said this, but basically it is very competitive within the hierarchy of the church and that they all have pet peeves and personal agendas and very huge ego's, especially as they gain tenure. So when a new prophet comes in, they, like any other CEO's or a POTUS, will push their personal agendas. We clearly saw this when Nelson basically demoted Uchtdorf and brought in his friend Oaks.

So with that in mind, when Nelson was an apostle, and Gordon B. Hinckley was the President, he gave a conference talk in 1990 titled " Thus Shall My Church Be Called" .... Here . You can read the talk but basically it was the same talk in context when he all but banned the name "Mormon" being used by church members. After his talk in 1990 the members were a bit confused.

Six months later President Hinkley at the next conference gave a talk in titled.... " Mormon Should Mean More Good." .... Here . GBH in his talk politely yet publicly punked Nelson.... he said " Many of our people are disturbed by the practice of the media, and of many others, to disregard totally the true name of the Church and to use the nickname “the Mormon Church" showing the confusion I mentioned.

GBH then went on the say ....

IMO there was nothing really inspired about the change by Nelson, he was going to change the name of the church and cost a lot of people and the church millions of dollars re-branding, because he got punked by Nelson. I am not saying he did not believe the name as a stain, but it was Personal, very Personal. And speaking past tense as an ex-Mormon .... "as good Mormons we comply, whether we like it or not, and fall in line." One member here, recently said they "do not know what a Mormon is," which proves my point about falling in line. He also said he had been on boards defending the church for 25 years.

I know a Mormon apologist via long e-mail conversations, who even helped with the essays, who was bummed out after Nelson gave the command as President. It was going to cost him a lot of money and he had to change the name of his web site and letter head, etc. FAIRMORMON had to change their infrastructure in those regards also. I can only imagine how much it cost the tithe payers for the internal change....al because of one mans pet peeve.

I would bet most members privately don't care about being a Mormon and actually miss it, if they were honest.

It will be interesting to see what happens after he dies and if the a new leader says it okay to be Mormon again.

Nitpicking.... and boring...

Nitpicking.... and boring...
Ralf do you know how weak that comes across. I wasted two import talks by two prophets in GC regarding the name of the church, and their conflicts.

Until you start dealing with the truths of your church and leaders, you will struggle.

Do you have a problem with the name Mormon, what was you first thought when you were told not use the name. I know very good TBM that basically thought it was lame. Don't you think in this day and age the LDS church has more important things to worry about and spend money on?

Are you ashamed of once being a Mormon? For me, in any ways I am proud of my Mormon heritage, it is who I am in many ways The stain for me is once being a Latter-day saint and having to not be real as you are doing now, hiding from the truth.

Ralf do you know how weak that comes across. I wasted two import talks by two prophets in GC regarding the name of the church, and their conflicts.

Until you start dealing with the truths of your church and leaders, you will struggle.

Do you have a problem with the name Mormon, what was you first thought when you were told not use the name. I know very good TBM that basically thought it was lame. Don't you think in this day and age the LDS church has more important things to worry about and spend money on?

Are you ashamed of once being a Mormon? For me, in any ways I am proud of my Mormon heritage, it is who I am in many ways The stain for me is once being a Latter-day saint and having to not be real as you are doing now, hiding from the truth.
This is just silly posting on your part, how is this a serious issue, how many have left the church over this very issue? Boring..

This is just silly posting on your part, how is this a serious issue, how many have left the church over this very issue? Boring..
Well it was important enough for two prophets to address the church in GC, and for the current president to spend millions of dollars of tithe payers monies for this "boring " issue.

Are you ashamed to be called a Mormon? Is it wrong or a sin to do so?

Well it was important enough for two prophets to address the church in GC, and for the current president to spend millions of dollars of tithe payers monies for this "boring " issue.

They did? Used tithe monies to "rebrand" their church, so to speak?

They did? Used tithe monies to "rebrand" their church, so to speak?
They had to change everything and anything that said and implied "Mormon." I can't imagine it not being in the Millions, just the rebranding the "Mormon Tabernacle Choir" and changing all the accoutrements that go with it. They literally had to take the name Mormon off of almost everything that carried that brand.

..."Through a spokesman, Nelson declined an interview about his revelations. But more than any Mormon president in recent memory, he speaks openly and often about his divine communications, some of which have significant consequences for the 16.6 million-member church. Last year, Nelson announced that God had told him the church should drop the moniker “Mormon,” a nickname that has stuck since the 1800s.

“The Lord impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He decreed for his church,” Nelson said, “the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

The church has changed its websites, social media accounts, email addresses, even the name of its famous “Mormon” Tabernacle Choir based on Nelson’s revelation. Church leaders have also lobbied the media to stop referring to Latter-day Saints as “Mormons.”
Here

Read the article in full context, if accurate, it was not a revelation, certainly not a new one in that Nelson was a champion for this in 1990, but GBH embarrassed Nelson and basically said he was wrong publicly. It was nothing more than his pet peeve put into action.

And there is so much history that will never be changed and he even allowed some grace their, like "The Mormon trail," The Mormon Battalion<" and other deeply engrained "things Mormon."

It is was a hoot behind the scenes, and the Mormon boards exploded with all kids of different reactions and emotions. There was a lot of jokes by members like the " Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Cricket."

Like I wrote the church has bigger problems that being called a Mormon. As much as Ralf is pouting on this subject and can guarantee you he thinks it was stupid, most members did and do.

What would you think if a proclamation came out that said you can no longer be called, or refer to yourself as a Lutheran, and from that moment forward you had to refer to yourself as a "Martin Luther?" Then the Lutheran church had to basic erase their history of the name and change everting that said Lutheran....how much would that cost? Or if we were told by the government we could no longer be American's?

By the way do they sin every time they call me and Mag's a "Ex-Mormon," I guess. Gordon said in one post, " Several ex-Mormons, and even a Mormon apologist, who has left the LDS Church organization...." Yet in another post he wrote.... he did not know what a Mormon was? Go figure.

They hire expensive PR and marketing firms, like Edelman in New York, to re-package mormonism whenever they want to change their public image.
Seems to be working about as well as the name change by "X (formerly known as Twitter)". 😉
Especially because changing your group's name causes people to ask, "Why're they doing that? Are they trying to hide something?"

Seems to be working about as well as the name change by "X (formerly known as Twitter)". 😉
Especially because changing your group's name causes people to ask, "Why're they doing that? Are they trying to hide something?"
A lot of times they have done things they want to hide. Like the previous owner of Twitter. I think Elon Musk hoped a name change would signal taking it in a different direction. But why would a church need to do that?

A lot of times they have done things they want to hide. Like the previous owner of Twitter. I think Elon Musk hoped a name change would signal taking it in a different direction. But why would a church need to do that?
Hopefully, the "X-Mormons" (not to be confused with "ex-Mormons"😉) will ask themselves that very question.

Millions of dollars we can afford, this called the success and blessing of tithing...

Hardily a sin, but useful for accuracy....

By the way do they sin every time they call me and Mag's a "Ex-Mormon," I guess. Gordon said in one post, " Several ex-Mormons, and even a Mormon apologist, who has left the LDS Church organization...." Yet in another post he wrote.... he did not know what a Mormon was? Go figure.
Meaningless garbage, you must have ran out of serious issues...

No, it's called theft by threat and coercion.
Spiritual blackmail… holding your eternal salvation over your head unless you pay.

Same principal as telling young girls their family’s eternal salvation depended on them marrying Joseph Smith.

No, it's called theft by threat and coercion.
Big word, I may have to look it up for accuracy...oh yea! by force or threat....Christian per se love Christ but tithing is a big no! or Mormon per say, keep my commandments.... means coming unto Christ and do what I say... oh ny!

Back